Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Last of the Mohicians??

The Last of the Mohicians?? 8 years 4 months ago #116684

Friends,

I just bought what may well be one of the last BEARCAT55 OBs, as it was purchased NEW in April 1974 with a new runabout/trailer.
(HAPPY BIRTHDAY to ME.= If you want the birthday gift that you really want, buy it for yourself!!= CHUCKLE)

If anything the OB's cowl is even "plainer" than the last one that's shown on www.homelite55.com

The front of the motor cowl has NO eyebrow & a plain decal that says "55" in red block numbers.
The sides have a decal that reads BEARCAT in plain blue block print and a small rectangular blue decal with white letters that say "4 cycle" in white block letters.
The rest of the OB is painted plain blue like all the other F-models.

I'm wondering how much "variation" that there was in the "appearance" of the Bearcat 55 at the end of Bearcat production OR if somebody else over the years "refinished" the cowl.

NOTE: The OB LOOKS NEAR NEW but is NOT running & has been stored for >5 years, since the original owner passed away.
It turns over, seems to have decent compression & spark. -

THANKS for reading this.

yours, satx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: The Last of the Mohicians?? 8 years 4 months ago #116702

• billr
  • Thank you received: 0
Post pics please, this sounds like one of the rebuilt ones from out west according to your description of the decals.

Re: The Last of the Mohicians?? 8 years 4 months ago #116703

billr,

Check your email. - You may be 100% correct about it being rebuilt - The executor of the deceased's estate said something about it being sold new by a dealer in CA.

Btw, there are two sets of numbers stamped into the area between the transom clamps:
201AKAE1A

Btw, I'm looking for a proper speedometer to match my HOMELITE tachometer, if you know of one for sale at a reasonable price.

THANKS, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: The Last of the Mohicians?? 8 years 4 months ago #116720

billr,

"You called it". = Looking about the Internet, I found a company in California that sells rebuilt Bearcat55 outboards, with the same decals on the cowl's sides.- Like most all LEO, I don't believe in coincidence.
Their rebuilt Bearcat55 outboards sell for $ 1695.oo + S&H to TX.

THANKS, tex

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: The Last of the Mohicians?? 8 years 4 months ago #116791

• billr
  • Thank you received: 0
Yes, it's a long story I've known Ed 20 years or so. Bruce knows Ed too.
I would say be careful with it, typically the electrical/ignition/fuel are not per the factory manual, also cooling system. It is often impossible to provide parts by serial number on those engines.
I'd recommend getting your parts directly from them if you need some as they are familiar with what parts they use that differ from factory.

Re: The Last of the Mohicians?? 8 years 4 months ago #116792

billr,

YEP. I talked to Ed for several minutes Sunday evening. = He suggested that once we get "Big Ugly" (as Steve's lady "nick-named" the Bearcat55) into Steve's shop that Steve call him directly, as there evidently are NUMEROUS "upgrades" to the original design.
(This one sold for 1495.00 as a "rebuilt OB" in 2003, according to some papers that I received from the estate's executor.)

Someone (unknown to me) removed the serial number plate OR it's in a different than the usual location. Thus, I have NO idea IF this was a single motor that was "updated" OR if it was put together from 2 or more OB or "assembled from parts". - Ed says that he will personally "read in" Steve on anything that he wants to know.

THANKS for your input & help. IF you have the time & CHOOSE to do so, PLEASE email me "the long story", as I'd like to know "the whole thing".

FYI, the Bearcat55 once "up & running" again (it was stored for several years, after the PO got ill, went to the nursing home & then passed away.) will likely power the 1959 fiberglass YELLOW JACKET 15.5 foot runabout.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: The Last of the Mohicians?? 8 years 4 months ago #117153

If Ed didn't tell you, he's 95 years old (no kidding) so while he is a treasure trove of information, be sure and pick his brain while you can! I bought one of his engines last year, and lets just say the wiring is a creative conglomeration of new and used segments spliced to together with the finest used household wire nuts. The first thing I did was re-wire everything with new wires and marine grade shrink sealed connectors. I had the shift fork break after about 25 hours, and I drove down to California to rebuild it side by side with him. Great guy, just the odds are he's not long for this world. He only charged me for a couple of the parts we had to install.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)