Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Hagerty Classic Marine Insurance Agency recognizes FiberGlassics.com as one of the first -- and most engaging -- communities dedicated entirely to the classic fiberglass boating hobby. As the world's leading provider of collector boat insurance, we offer a product specially tailored to the collector hobby. In recognition of the FiberGlassic.com’s efforts within the collector community, we are now offering a 10% premium discount to all FiberGlassic.com members* . To learn more about Hagerty and its collector boat program, post here or call 1-800-762-2628.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Non-marine/Non-coverage?

Non-marine/Non-coverage? 6 years 5 months ago #134316

• Nautilus
  • Nautilus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Carla:

I recently counseled a client regarding non-marine (automotive) engine bolt-ons. I stated flatly that if there was a fire or explosion (almost always electrical in origin), an insurance company would not cover the damage. I was referring to automotive distributors, starters, alternators, carburetors and air filters. Am I correct in assuming that a fire claim would be denied for these safety infractions? If not, why not?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Non-marine/Non-coverage? 6 years 5 months ago #134321

• asign
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
No insurance answer, but using automotive parts in a marine environment usually voids the guarantee policy on that item. Starters, etc. my neighbor replaces his at least every season, lots of annoying down time, especially on holiday weekends when he discovers it. We've seen some annoying product failures from no name box store parts like primer bulbs and gas lines that the lining detaches and plugs stuff up.

First, do no harm!
It's a lot easier to buy a boat than sell a boat.(Stole this from a member!)
All that work and hardware store mailbox letters for the hull? Tsk tsk..

Non-marine/Non-coverage? 6 years 4 months ago #134540

Thank you for bringing this question to my attention today. I do not remember receiving notification of said question. Opposed to me "assuming" I know the correct answer, let me pull our marine claim's experts into the equation. Stay tuned and I will be back in touch.

Carla

Non-marine/Non-coverage? 6 years 3 months ago #134994

So...the short answer is no, there would not be coverage. Per our claims division, we are not concerned if someone uses an auto part on the boat. The issue here is if a mechanical failure results in a fire, there would not be coverage.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)

noimage
03-17-2024

Thunderbird Apache 1956 hardtop
( / Boats)