Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: How far should I go

How far should I go 13 years 9 months ago #10030

I have had an on going project boat with my 1965 Texas Maid and was wondering how far should I go with the dents in the aluminum. There are many of them and I would like to paint the boat but I know the dents would show up if I was to paint.
Alot of the dents I am unable to reach both sides to beat them out and I know filler is not that answer so this goes out to all of the lumies. Most of the dents are small shallow but still show.
WWUD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:How far should I go 13 years 9 months ago #10033

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
It depends on whether you're looking to restore for show, or, for your enjoyment. I did attempt every dock-dash, ding and indention I saw. I did use filler- evercote has a product that specifies for use on aluminum - be sure to get it level, or a small ding becomes a large 'ring around a ding'. And 4 years later, its holding up really well.

That said, every rivit is still an indention, and there are gentle waves throughout, so it will never be mirror perfect. Against a white paint, its not noticable, unless you look. But, I'm not out for trophies, just the pride of having restored dad's old boat for my enjoyment.

So, my two cents, make the attempt, use the right fillers, and don't be too upset if you end up less than perfect.

Hmmm, the photo really doesn't show how much of that is the filler [light green color] vs. the primer, but yeah, it was banged all over. now its done...
Attachments:

Re:How far should I go 13 years 8 months ago #10282

I guess the fear about filler is it could fall out........but wait, I could always refill and repaint. :laugh: I have been looking for some filler on line, any ideas of what is best? I bought some auto bondo for the fiberglass top but that will not work for the metal.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)