• Page:

TOPIC: 1978 Merc 1400 questions

Re:1978 Merc 1400 questions 13 years 1 week ago #45314

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
kensikora wrote:

So, this is what I was afraid of: I wouldn't find anything and I'll put it back together and it will do the same thing.

I can relate. I found no smoking gun and these are pretty simple carbs.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1978 Merc 1400 questions 13 years 1 week ago #45320

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well if nothing else you have eliminated the carbs as the problem,along with knowing there are clean as they were from the factory.Having followed this post from the early summer I hope you get it corrected before you have to put her away.That way you will not be haunted by it over the doldrums of winterOceans2 wrote:

kensikora wrote:

So, this is what I was afraid of: I wouldn't find anything and I'll put it back together and it will do the same thing.

I can relate. I found no smoking gun and these are pretty simple carbs.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:1978 Merc 1400 questions 13 years 1 week ago #45323

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
If not pouring down rain I can keep at it. I am 5 minutes from the ramp and I've yet to see ice in Bellingham Bay. Although there is that global warming climate change thing.

Re:1978 Merc 1400 questions 13 years 1 week ago #45324

• kensikora
  • kensikora's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 12
One minor problem: can't remember how the rod that connects the two top carburetor chokes, see item 22 in the picture. There is a spring that attaches to it also, can't remember where that attaches.

From the picture, it looks like the arm's extension (hand?) points to the right but it doesn't seem to fit that way.

The spring (32) attaches to something but I don't know what yet.
Attachments:

Hello, World!!

Re:1978 Merc 1400 questions 13 years 1 week ago #45376

One question for you, your carbs look like mine. Did you unscrew the brass jets/venturi's that were located behind each brass plug in the carbs? the one that is located behind the idle mixture screw should have a long brass tube connected to it and that's what was plugged on mine. That tube and the passage that goes to the bottom of the carb and the next jet/venturi is very important. If you don't take them out you won't get that passage clean. As for the carb linkage take your time it only goes together one way and same goes for the spring. My book shows very good pictures of how it goes but it's really hard to describe.

SS

Re:1978 Merc 1400 questions 13 years 1 week ago #45380

• kensikora
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Yes, I did remove both brass tubes: the one to the venturi and the longer narrow one also. They were all clear.

The carb linkage I figured out. It hooks into a nut at the bottom of the top carb. It keeps the choke open when there is no pull on it.

BIG NOTE: I don't remember the spring being hooked up when I took it off the other day. Either I'm loosing it or it wasn't done. Would this possibly be the cause of the problems? I'll know a bit later when I can get it started and out to the landing.

Hello, World!!

Re:1978 Merc 1400 questions 13 years 1 week ago #45434

• kensikora
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Ok, I was checking out the fuel pump and found that if I press the primer bulb pretty hard, gas will seep/leak out of it. When I installed it I didn't use any gasket sealant. I looked online and found that alot of car guys use something like Peratex Form-a-Gasket or other.

Is this advised?

Hello, World!!

Re:1978 Merc 1400 questions 13 years 1 week ago #45720

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Have you looked at your ignition system? That could give what you are seeing. Maybe a weak coil or switchbox issue? Dirty cap inside? Bad wires? I just got over an issue with old ignition wires and a thunderbolt ignition arcing everywhere through the wire jackets, couldn't see it except in the dark, symptoms where similar to yours. Also experienced a weak coil a few years ago with a thunderbolt ign, same symtoms.
Just thinking outloud where it looks less likely to be fuel where all lookes so clean. Did you do fuel pump yet? Having a freind to squeeze bulb would eliminate fuel pump if it makes no difference in power under load.
Keep us posted there are only so many things athat could cause the problem, knock em' down one at a time you'll get there. frustrating I know.
Randy

Re:1978 Merc 1400 questions 13 years 1 week ago #45906

• kensikora
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I haven't had time to test out the changes made last weekend: the choke spring that wasn't connected, the fixed leaky fuel pump. Hope to get out soon.

Joe Poole helped on the fuel pump: used 800 grit sandpaper on the top half to get smoother and level to fit better on the bottom half that has the ridge.

I backed the carbs out 2 turns and then went to 1. Joe suggested that 1.5 might work better so I'll try that when out. It ran very well on the ear muffs.

Hello, World!!

Re:1978 Merc 1400 questions 13 years 6 days ago #45999

• kensikora
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Success!!!

After work today, started the 1400 up on ear muffs just to make sure, then hooked the SSV 176 up and took it the 5 miles or so to Ancarrow's Landing (named after Ancarrow boats) in Richmond.

The engine started fairly easily, and giving it gas, it ate it up! It roared down the river and I was "stoked".

Here's what I'm 99.9% sure about what caused the problem: the choke spring wasn't hooked up before. Therefore the choke never really would return to the no choke position.

I learned alot.

The steering seemed stiff and it was a bit hard to turn but I'll start a new thread on that!

Thanks to all for the fantastic support!

Hello, World!!

Re:1978 Merc 1400 questions 13 years 6 days ago #46008

if it is stiff while running could be the trim tab adjustment.

Re:1978 Merc 1400 questions 13 years 6 days ago #46009

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Glad to hear you got it sorted out.
I would bet you were grinnin' from ear to ear when she came alive.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:1978 Merc 1400 questions 13 years 6 days ago #46015

• kensikora
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I tried to remain calm. It felt like the weight was lifted, the sun began to shine and the stars came out.

Went down river about 1/2 mile, came across an all woman rowing team, slowed my wake and then took off for another stretch. The steering was stiff and pulled to the left when going fast. Maybe have to adjust the anode.

It was a long time coming: this was a boat that I paid $25 for cause the guy couldn't keep it in his subdivision. I had let it sit for 3 years on my sister's farm. Then started working on it over a year ago: had to redo the entire floor, stringers, trailer, wheels, lights, engine harness, impeller, seats. I knew the engine worked but not having much experience with them it took some time to figure it out.

Well, the basics are now there and it should be down stream from here.

Turned around, passed the rowers and trailer-ed her back.

Very rewarding.

Hello, World!!

Re:1978 Merc 1400 questions 13 years 5 days ago #46084

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
nice!!! post vid clips or pics next time!!

Re:1978 Merc 1400 questions 13 years 5 days ago #46097

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Something overlooked,which happens to everyone,made this one of the longest running post[3 months]that I have ever followed in the engine forum.I am glad you kept at it and did not throw the towel in or at the Ol Gal for that matter.Now you can enjoy the Tower in all its glory as well as not having to stew over it for the winter.Congratulations on your new found "friend"

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:1978 Merc 1400 questions 13 years 5 days ago #46100

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Proud of ya Ken, you did good! LOL I know, and sincerely appreciate, that the gang here is a huge help to all of us novices, but doesn't it feel great doing it yourself!? ;)

Mark

Re:1978 Merc 1400 questions 13 years 3 days ago #46246

• kensikora
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
It's so ironic that it turned out to be something simple. Wow!

I'll get a video at some point. Can't do anything this weekend. Thanks again for all of the help and encouragement.

Hello, World!!

Re:1978 Merc 1400 questions 13 years 1 day ago #46445

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Hooray!!! we all followed the saga, it's nice to have a story with a happy ending!
Randy

Re:1978 Merc 1400 questions 13 years 1 day ago #46479

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well after reading what your problem turned out to be I would stay away from Jerry Cooper.Either he never looked at the carbs or does not have a clue.I could see one of us regulars maybe missing that spring but not a "certified" Merc mechanic.I would almost be inclined to tell him what you found and ask him how he could charge you,if he did,for such a BS job.kensikora wrote:

Jerry Cooper worked on the engine and said the compression was good, did a tune up of the 3 carbs. He said it was too lean.

Got it back from Cooper's last Thursday, took it to Ancarrow's Landing (the once site of Ancarrow Boats in Richmond) for a test.

So, the engine ran much better at idle, not as rough as before.... but... still when giving it throttle it would not rev up and would cut off with too much throttle.

Jerry asked about the prop and I told him it was a new 19 pitch.

So, looking at the other thread, maybe it's the fuel pump diaphragm? But it will run at a high rpm if not in gear.

Ken

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:1978 Merc 1400 questions 13 years 1 day ago #46492

• kensikora
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
I think they should have figured it out. If they did adjust the carbs and ran it on the dyno, I would have thought they would have noticed it.

I am tempted to undo the spring and see if it goes back to the way it was just to verify that is what it was.

But, it was a learning experience for me and I'll be able to do it myself going forward.

Hello, World!!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.215 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5150 guests and no members online