Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Restoring White Mercs

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 11 months ago #101668

pic
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 11 months ago #101669

Very cool!!!
I always enjoy seeing other folks' classic outboards.
Thanks for posting :)
doc

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 11 months ago #101670

Thanks! I actually have a cabin in Tahuya, not too far from Shelton. Nice to have local expertise! I'm up in Bothell on the slough. My father in law spent his entire life here and his dad built the marina on the river. I live in between where he was born and settled down with his own family. My plan is just to go through the mercs and a few others that interest me and see what has decent compression, and then possibly keep a few for parts, right now I'm just in the evaluation stage. I'm going to take a few pics and might have some questions as to what a few things are(some older smaller mercs, etc)

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 11 months ago #101674

Check your Email.

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 11 months ago #101790

Ok had a busy weekend as my boys are both in play-offs on their Jr. Football teams, and Seahawks played which is a must watch even with a lackluster win like yesterday. But I did manage some time messing with the mercs from my late father in law. Anyway spent a little time getting the obvious grime off and evaluating the condition closer of each motor and then shot the cylinders of all 3 with fogging oil. Only got to the green Mark 55 for a compression check mainly due to lack of stand space currently. The numbers on all 4 cylinders came out at right about 125, I didn't write them down but they were very close. A bit of rust on the 55's throttle arm where it leaves the cowling so hoping it's not too salty inside passages. Looks clean other than that mostly, and everything moves freely, it definitely has some home wiring job with auto connectors and also original braided fuel line I think. The 300 and 35 A both seem like the throttle's are sticking(old grease and maybe locked up or corroded fitting) and the 35A has the main pivot or steering tube stuck, which I have read about and I think this one will pop loose fairly easy as it's moving a pinch. Only the 35A has electric start. The only other thing that pops out right now is that the 55 has two more adjustments on the carb of the 55. Anyway, going to build a stand for all of them this week and get the other 35A and two 58's pulled over. Hope to have compression on all of them and figure out which one will make a good first project. I will update with pics soon. :P

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 11 months ago #101807

You are on your way

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 11 months ago #101982

Ok, new rack completed! Took most of Friday evening to complete, nice and strong. It turned out great- room for 3 maybe of the white 4 mercs, thinking I'm going to try to limit it to 3 big ones in the end. Have a few other motors I'm hanging onto as well :P

Ok Going to compression check the 300 and 35A tonight, I was just too beat after moving everything around all weekend to move them again for testing. These suckers are heavy.

I have a question though, I was over grabbing a few other makes to stash away, and went over the 3 mercs left, one is another 35A I'm keeping for parts without the leg attached(frozen lower sitting right there)there is a 58A missing the hat but has an full alternator/starter(top cowling might be lying around somewhere) and one last big merc I can't figure out. It's white says 40HP Four on the top cowling- I think the lettering is black with red trim , but the engine tag has no model #? Just a serial #. I will upload pics but my cable is buggered currently. OUt of all the Mercs this is the only one with no model on the Engine Id tag?

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 11 months ago #101985

give me the serial ## I will look it up. most likely a 400.

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 11 months ago #102035

"THESE SUCKERS ARE HEAVY" wait till you latch on to a big tall one they don't budge ! but they sure are fun you hit that jackpot

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 11 months ago #102050

Heavy indeed! Moved 3 last night shuffling for compression. Think I'll just stick with these guys though, and avoid going bigger, my goal is to focus on the motors I inherited and these mercs are the biggest. Plus no more room, my shed is getting full! Got home too late from work to go get pictures and serial #'s over at the motor stash. I did do some research and I'm convinced it's going to be an early white merc 350 which is a 40 HP version. Compression tested the Merc 300 last night, the two lower cylinders were about 135, the two uppers 125-no spark. I guess that's within 10% and things could still be sticky in there. Tried to do the 35A but the recoil is just spinning, not making good contact under the hood, so I'll have to take a peek before getting those #'s. Spent some time on both lubing and freeing the throttle mechanism. What color distributors are good again. Think most of mine are dark green or brown.

Hoping to get pics up, going through the motor pile last weekend, I have identified a merc 60 complete but stuck, a mark 25E(missing cowling looks rough, but lower looked decent) and a mark 10 that looks pretty complete, not stuck. And some other funky cool engines.

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 10 months ago #102354

Ok Serial # 1445601 on the one I think makes it a Merc 350? Managed to break on bolt off trying to tighten the hood on one of the 35A's to get compression, so still not sure of the #'s on that one. I think maybe the 300 I'll start with since it is manual- All the others except 55 have starters-some alternators. Think I'll avoid those on my first attempt here. So is 125 on two cylinders and 135 on the other two acceptable as a starting point? Next step would be to order the manual, and then carb kits, fuel pump kit, clean points, new spark plug wires, and at least new impeller? Should I look at the pistons through the bypass to check condition? Also fairly easy checks to see if internally abused by salt?

On a side note there is a Mark 10 serial # 1061095 that looks complete and turns and a beat up 25E missing cowling-starter and lower, but probably some usable parts for someone out there.

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 10 months ago #102361

The compression numbers look good, especially if it has been a while since it has run. They will probably even out more once everything frees up a little after running.
It looks like you have a pretty good game plan to eliminate any problems later on. Good luck.
Bill

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 10 months ago #102404

Sark,
If you still have the Mark 25E parts Next time you pass through Shelton, I would be interested in seeing exactly what parts are left.
I have a machinist that can most likely remove that broken bolt from your top hat, or I have other top hats for that style Merc.
doc
Attachments:

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 10 months ago #102410

doc, save that pic for next years calendar. ron

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 10 months ago #102459

Thanks For the offer Doc! I am lucky that I have two mark 35a's so I still have a hat that will fit for now- But it was a bonehead move on my part- I even knew I was going a little too hard on it and should have just removed it entirely first to see what the deal was. Still might want it fixed though. Next time I head out to Tahuya I will PM you.

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 10 months ago #102471

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
vuyosevich wrote:

doc, save that pic for next years calendar. ron

I've sat in that chair, "bench racing the doc" Not a bad pic, but we need to be in it! (Hey Doc, just gave ya buzz..left a message..stop over soon and BS..)

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103305

Just bought a boat with a white Merc, need to go to Montana to pick it up, sounds like you have a lot to dig through over the winter, sounds like fun, 1/2 the fun is in the finding right!

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103490

Cutty_Sark wrote:

Ok Serial # 1445601 on the one I think makes it a Merc 350? Managed to break on bolt off trying to tighten the hood on one of the 35A's to get compression, so still not sure of the #'s on that one. I think maybe the 300 I'll start with since it is manual- All the others except 55 have starters-some alternators. Think I'll avoid those on my first attempt here. So is 125 on two cylinders and 135 on the other two acceptable as a starting point? Next step would be to order the manual, and then carb kits, fuel pump kit, clean points, new spark plug wires, and at least new impeller? Should I look at the pistons through the bypass to check condition? Also fairly easy checks to see if internally abused by salt?

On a side note there is a Mark 10 serial # 1061095 that looks complete and turns and a beat up 25E missing cowling-starter and lower, but probably some usable parts for someone out there.

I've done quite a few of these...
My two cents:
Order up the timing belt. It's a must.
Clean the points, get a spark.
Clean the plugs.
Clean the carbs.
Fire it up.
If it runs, change the impeller and the fluid in the lower housing.
Don't often need new plug wires, or fuel pump parts...I would be seeing if there is a problem with those before spending for new parts.
Great motors.

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103492

Oh, yeah, the bigger motors, the sixes? Totally different animal for the simple reason that one guy, even a pretty strong guy like myself, will have a VERY hard time moving one around the shop, working on one is completely different simply because of that. The four cylinder ones like these, a toughguy can JUST move them around and put them on a transom and such...but the big ones? You can really hurt yourself. Neat motors, but I hear you about the size difference, it's no longer a one-man operation to play with the bigger ones.

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103502

Yes I have a 6 950ss and it's was a bear to get out of the back of my Land Rover and onto the boat, used a neighbors engine lift and some really heavy dock line I had and made a harness, the eye that screws in the top would be worth it I think for $40, hate to drop that thing.

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103520

Easytiger Models wrote, ",...even a pretty strong guy like myself, will have a VERY hard time moving one around the shop,..."

They aren't "THAT" heavy!!!

:) :) ;) :lol: :silly:

doc
Attachments:

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103529

Obviously a styrofoam replica.

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103554

What do you mean? My 1150 doesn't weigh much over 300#!! Raslin' those big girls around keeps a guy in shape.
Bill :)

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103558

Why, I can juggle THREE of them, it's a regular thing I do at the local meets and such, everybody knows that.

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103564

Now I think you are bragging.

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103565

No, bragging would be talking about the time I juggled FOUR Tower Of Powers while they were on fire...

Seriously, though...moving a Mk58 is just a whole different animal from a six...

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103593

:) :) :)
Not a Styrofoam replica, just doesn't have a powerhead inside.
It was still plenty heavy though.
The plan was to have it on my shoulder, walking towards the water with a fishing pole in one hand, but I was too puny.
These days it makes me hurt just remembering that stunt.
doc
Attachments:

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103596

Pranksters....
I owned a Tower of Power ONCE...and I had to load it into the car by myself...it was rough...
The real reason I got rid of it was simply that it was not something I could move conveniently by myself. I mean, I came awfully close to hurting myself, getting it in and out of the car, and moving it a few feet in the shop.
As a word of caution...even the four cylinder ones, to move one by yourself, you need to be pretty brawny, and it can get out of hand fast and fall on you and hurt you. Two people makes it MUCH easier and safer.

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103611

Years ago (when I was young and foolish ) I put my 50 hp Merc on the back of my boat by myself. It almost came back over on top of me when the clamp for the transom turned and I couldn't get it to line back up so I could hang the motor on the boat. My back still hurts thinking about it. Like an older neighbor told me once - work smart, not hard. One of the best investments I have made was a lifting ring.
Bill

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103613

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
All Dunn II wrote:

......Like an older neighbor told me once - work smart, not hard. One of the best investments I have made was a lifting ring.
Bill

I agree Bill, that and the $179 engine hoist from Northern. All kinds of neat uses for that in the boat shop once you have one on hand, don't know how I got along without it!

Mark

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103614

All very true...and like I said...lifting a four cylinder Merc is JUST on the limits for me...a hoist is a much better choice...

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103644

Got my own 4 now, hope it's not too hard to handle, the bottom frooze out

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103717

Mark S wrote:
"I agree Bill, that and the $179 engine hoist from Northern. All kinds of neat uses for that in the boat shop once you have one on hand, don't know how I got along without it!"

YES!!!
The hoist (mine is Harbor Freight) is an inline-6 owner's BEST FRIEND!!
:)
doc
Attachments:

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103734

I was accustomed to buying an inline 6, bear hugging them to lift them off of transoms then laying them in my station wagon. Thats until my back decided not to agree with that anymore.

So I adapted a truck box crane to the back of a Ford garden tractor. It picks motors off of transoms and I can shuffle motors to and from my storage shed with relative ease. I had to sling 60 lbs of steel under the front axle to make it safe. Its a fairly heavy duty garden tractor. Would not try this with a lighter duty one.

Funny as I look at this. Its a 1975 Ford LGT-145 with a 1975 1500 in the background. Gotta be vintage around my house.

C
Attachments:

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103736

That's part of what I was trying to get across...you could really hurt yourself, I mean, long term life changing injury, trying to move one of those sixes by yourself. I'm not saying it cannot be done...I did it...but I realized afterwards it was an accident waiting to happen. Quite frankly, one person OUghT not to be moving a four by themselves either, but I do anyway.
Kind of crappy way to end up in traction or something...

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103759

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
milkdud wrote:

I was accustomed to buying an inline 6, bear hugging them to lift them off of transoms then laying them in my station wagon. Thats until my back decided not to agree with that anymore.

So I adapted a truck box crane to the back of a Ford garden tractor. It picks motors off of transoms and I can shuffle motors to and from my storage shed with relative ease. I had to sling 60 lbs of steel under the front axle to make it safe. Its a fairly heavy duty garden tractor. Would not try this with a lighter duty one.

Funny as I look at this. Its a 1975 Ford LGT-145 with a 1975 1500 in the background. Gotta be vintage around my house.

C

That's really a great looking ford tractor there. And a good way to move a motor too.

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103763

I have an engine hoist and two chain falls in handy areas of my shop. I often have to transfer from the engine hoist to the chain fall and back again on the inline 6,s. My problem? Low ceiling. I can not get the inlines high enough with the hoist so transfer to the chain falls which are mounted up between the rafters. That extra 3 inches usually does it.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103775

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Not trying to steal this thread,but I have a white merc that I hope to redo someday...maybe. I think it would be sweet to see it run.It's a '62 850
Compression ranges from 90# to 105# so it prolly needs rebuilding.

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103783

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
ya jim, it needs rebuilding, and that is costly. so you should let me take it off of your hands. lol happy new year. frog

Re:Restoring White Mercs 9 years 9 months ago #103794

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Greg, I'm already straddling the fence by owning a Johnson AND a Mercruiser. You might have to come and get the 850 to keep me from falling off and busting my a$$ :laugh: HAPPY NEW YEAR to you and yours and everybody else!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.324 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online