• Page:

TOPIC: And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 10 years 2 months ago #90058

• Shake
  • Shake's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
yessir, this paperwork deal is starting to suck right now....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 10 years 1 month ago #90680

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
and still no paperwork from Calli, Jetjlight, think I may get away with slipping it through the WI DNR?? was really hopping to have this thing on the water this summer.......

Golden Rule number one; While working in the bilge, absolutely under no circumstances, NO FARTING!!!! Captn Shake aka Joe.

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 10 years 1 month ago #90684

I would try just telling them it doesn't have any registration numbers on it. Maybe you could try registering it as a home built.

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 10 years 1 month ago #90685

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
thanks, will try n see what comes of it.

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 10 years 1 month ago #91092

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
fixed all the bunks on the trailer and fitted it to the boat and mounted the starflight on the transom so I can start working on the motor, Still a waiting game on the paperwork on the boat from California..... I'm getting ansi, the paperwork needs to get here so I can get her done by summertime......

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 10 years 3 weeks ago #92279

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
took her out of the shed today and scrubbed on her for a couple hours today. cleaned up fairly nice.
Attachments:

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 10 years 3 weeks ago #92281

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
hey cappy, very cool boat you have .

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 10 years 3 weeks ago #92283

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks Frog, took me several hours to scrub all the pine sap barnicles off her today, Now I know she's actually white, haha. Decided to take a break from cleaning up the farm for the afternoon and spend some time with the boat..

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 10 years 3 weeks ago #92379

I think I'd love to have a Catalina over my Lexington. That front bow area on my sport lexington is a lot of wasted space. :dry: Oh well I do like my Dorsett.. maybe I need two? :laugh:

Can't wait to see how yours turns out!

Nate

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 10 years 3 weeks ago #92391

• SteveH
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Very nice looking boat.

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 10 years 3 weeks ago #92443

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks guys, a bit of water, dish soap and some elbow grease went a long way with this one. I really need to get started on replacing all the stringers, floor and transom core in her soon. This waiting on the paperwork on it is wearing on my patience.

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina&Belmont 9 years 11 months ago #93792

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
So, here's the belmont I picked up last night to go with the catalina. the windshield is perfect and the seats are great aside from being a bit on the filthy side.. just needs the transome core replaced and some gelcoat repair and buffing and she's good to go.

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina&Belmont 9 years 11 months ago #93794

Very cool Joe! Those Dorsetts sure are a good looking bunch of boats. What are you going to use for a motor on that one?

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina&Belmont 9 years 11 months ago #93795

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I've a 65 HP merc (1980s) on the other boat I bought with this one, I may use that one, or Sell the 80's boat as a package and pick up something that would be original to the boat.... not sure.

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina&Belmont 9 years 11 months ago #93796

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
found another honey hole on the way home today with the 80s boat, there was a big ravine full of boats in it on the back roads.. should have stopped and took a picture...

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 11 months ago #93870

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I've been bitten hard with the fiberglassic bug.. next week I'll have a larson thunderhawk to ad to my "MINE" collection....
Attachments:

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 11 months ago #93871

Joe those two dorsetts sure do look nice sitting next to each other :laugh: Is the Thunderhawk a senior or a junior that you are looking to get?

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 11 months ago #93873

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
than you Byron. The Thunderhawk was upside down when I looked at it, I wanna say a sr. I really need to get that shop fixed up and the old fallen barn cleaned up if I am to continue to accumulate lol..

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 11 months ago #94064

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
AAAAAnnnd the belmont rears it's little head, started tearing into the transom today, and as I suspected, the stringers are mush in the last 3 feet. Solid floor, history, Stringers coming out sunday.
anyone have any pointers in replacing a transom core on one of these without cracking her open?

It's a 1" Transom core, so, maybe I could get 2 1/2" cores going, then splice and lap the splices horizontally and glue the heck out of it.. Done it before on the weekender and it worked out great.......... Thoughts?

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 11 months ago #94066

Joe your question about the transom is a good one I will need to replace the transom in my Dorsett Catalina as well. I was also thinking about doing it the same way as you are considering. It looks like it would be a real pain to split the boat in half to get access, and I am not a fan of cutting the back of the transom off to get access. I see no reason piecing in the ply wood and staggering the joints wouldn't work just fine.

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 11 months ago #94068

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Byron, did you jump on that Catalina???????

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 11 months ago #94069

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
lol I call dibs on solid red gelcoat, haha!

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 11 months ago #94070

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Yes, I did it that way on my searay weekender because the transom was close to 5' tall, so I had no choice on that one, and it worked out Perfect, had no problems at all, just had to glue the heck out of them and samich them with temporary screws to one another (wood) and also glued the core to the inner transom using screws and washers through all the bolt holes in the transom. Worked out great!

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 11 months ago #94115

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
2 Layers of 1/2" x 4' x 8' AC2 Pressure Treated Foundation Grade CS CCX Plywood glued together to achieve 1" for transom.. also use for floor.

UltraDeck Rustic Solid Composite Decking as a viable stringer material???????? ????????????

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 10 months ago #96262

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
well, went to the lumberyard n ordered my marine plywood for the floor and transom, also picked up some select pine 1 bys for the stringers, then spent the evening with her tonight... Decided to go with the split the deck and hull route. not scared to do that ever again, a real walk in the park. ;)

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 10 months ago #96264

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
looking good , joe. I split my rocket and is a lot easer to work on. keep us updated. greg

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 10 months ago #96266

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thank you Greg, I sure will keep everyone updated on the progress, just dropped 300 bucks for 3 peaces of marine grade plywood, 1) 3/4" and 2) 1/2" and the three peaces of 1x8" figure I can just cut 2 stringers per board...
Just looking for a short shaft settup for the 1969 65 HP merc. will be picking up my plywood this weekend when it arives and probably going to head down to madison for the fiberglass materials. Thinking I may just buff out and repair the original gel coat on this one...

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 10 months ago #96277

Great progress Joe. That gelcoat doesn't look too bad from the pics. You can probably go with a little 1500 grit wet sand then 2000, and compound buff.

Bob

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 10 months ago #96303

Glad to hear that splitting her was'nt to bad , as my 59 catalina needs a new transom also. thats the route i was thinking of going. was there rivets ,or glue holding them together? madbohunk safe boating

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 10 months ago #96307

Glad to hear the splitting of the deck went well, I may have to just go all in and try it on the Catalina.

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 10 months ago #96312

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Mad, there were both rivits and glue, I started out using a jigsaw, Don't use the jigsaw unless you absolutely have to, just get a 3/16" drill bit and drill out all the rivets from the bottom of the rivets, also about an inch or so next to the rivets drill an "emergency" hole, then get between the hull and deck with a screw driver and play leapfrog with the scredrivers and a hammer. Be gentle though. she'll open right up.

I'll keep everyone posted on my progress.

Byron, I really don't think that there is another way to do the transom on these boats as it still was tough to get the core out even with the deck out of the way...

Bob, thank you for your advice, I was wondering how to bring her back, definitely wanting to fix the original gel coat on this one, there's a couple spots here n there that I will need to fix the gel but that's not bad at all IMO

Internet was down all day today, so I'm quick sneaking in some Fiberglassics time now that it is up and running finally lol.
Attachments:

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 10 months ago #96320

Someone said they needed Dorsett parts here. Well hell how about $25 for the whole boat ? Didnt know if you needed any parts ? This is the same model you have yes ?

$25 Dollars LOL

kalamazoo.craigslist.org/boa/4518196725.html
Attachments:

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 10 months ago #96354

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
lol, nice, looks like most of the good stuff has already been scavenged off the poor old gal..

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 8 months ago #99151

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I know it's been slow goings on this lil gal, been really busy with work n all. But here's what I got done today. The closest lumber yard that was open today is about a half hour away, so beings this was a whimsical event today, I used what I could find laying around in the shed. Some old wood from the laundry room gutting and some other scrap I had laying about. seems fairly sturdy lol.

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 8 months ago #99153

What great progress!!! Makes me feel better about spliting the catalina. madbohunk safe boating

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 8 months ago #99154

• Shake
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
thanks mad. just remember to drill a 3/16" rivet hole next to every rivet before you drill the rivets out. I replaced the "sticker" boards I had under the deck with some 8' boards, then measured the lowest boards height from the floor then added a foot to that measurement to get my post height for all six posts. Also run all your cross braces the same way all the way around so's the opposite side completes the x (an old scaffold rule I learnt) also be sure to clamp the deck down to the boards/beams to keep it from sliding off your settup when you are raising the beams onto the legs. I started in the front, got both legs on at the bow, then went on to the rear, dong both posts there then finished with the middle then put the cross braces on.

Re:And so it begins, 1959 Dorsett Catalina 9 years 8 months ago #99164

The way I see it. Jigs, supports, and temporary framing don’t have to be pretty to be functional.
Free wood to make that stuff, leaves more cash for the important boat parts, and restore supplies.
Great progress, keep it up !!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.353 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)

The Pink Lady
05-02-2024

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)