TOPIC: 800FGS now what?

Re:800FGS now what? 13 years 4 months ago #22494

• Waterwings
  • Waterwings's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 100
Neil,
Unfortunately I did not. It is with deep sadness that I must say my 25 year old son passed away on the 27th and things are caotic here in Venice FL. It may be a while before I post again, things are really hard right now. I've been trying to look at posts to keep my mind off of things but it's hit and miss. I hope you had a very good Christmas and a Happy New Year. Remember to always cherish the time you have with family.

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:800FGS now what? 13 years 4 months ago #22499

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Very sorry to hear of your loss Bob, please accept my sincere condolences. If there is anything we can do, we're here for you.

Mark

Re:800FGS now what? 13 years 4 months ago #22505

Neil, that is very hard to read! I hope the best for you. Keep yourself busy, but never forget.

Conrad

Re:800FGS now what? 13 years 4 months ago #22524

Bob,
My heart is broken in your loss.
I can't say that I 'know' you, but I've found a special comrade spirit is shared between those with common interests such as classic Mercs & boats.
One very important aspect of our shared interests here is how so often the fondest memories related to these interests are from the positive times shared with our families.
Those memories can never be taken from us.
The fact that we have these fond memories, something that so many families never experience in this day and age, can always replace the empty longings with smiles in the memories we made when we had the chances.
If ever you need an ear or a heart to share your burden with I am here. frankenmerc at comcast dot net
Thom

Re:800FGS now what? 13 years 4 months ago #22544

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Bob,
I can only express the same sentiment as Dr Frankenmerc. God Bless you, your family, and your friends at this time. I truly wish there was something I could do or say.
God will give you the power good man.
Amen
Jim

Re:800FGS now what? 13 years 4 months ago #22595

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Bob and family
Our condolences.
You are in our thoughts and prayers.
Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:800FGS now what? 13 years 4 months ago #22797

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Gentlemen,
I thank you very much for your thoughts and prayers. I am getting things in order down here in Venice and should be back at the ole' homestead this weekend. Will try and start back up on the tower of power sometime soon if anything to get my mind off of things. Of course I still have to go to work! :S

Again, thank you all for your support. This is truly an outstanding site as are all the people affiliated with it, both support and users. I am honored to be able to converse, confide and help where I can.

Humbly,
Bob

Re:800FGS now what? 13 years 4 months ago #22799

Did Santa bring you a service manual? If not, might want to get one of the 1965 & Prior Merc manuals. WELL worth the investment!

My trick to getting the propshaft out is to set the propshaft up in a soft-jaw vice (wooden blocks work), heat up the housing fore of the carrier using a propane torch, set the unit horizontal with the skeg end away from you and the driveshaft against your hip, then GENTLY tap the skeg with a wooden or rubber mallet, maintaining a gently pressure outward on the hip as well. The propshaft will pull the carrier and reverse gear out with it. (Assumes the spanner nut is already removed, which it looks like yours is.)

Once out, remove the nut bolt from the driveshaft at the pinion gear. Heat up the housing just below the waterpump (where the upper ball bearing is). Set the driveshaft horizontally in your wooden blocked vice with the jaws near the housing end. GENTLY tap the housing near the waterpump using your wooden/rubber mallet. Laying a 2x4 block of wood across the housing will distribute the blows and prevent damage to the housing. Driveshaft should pull out the pump base housing and the upper bearing.

The key is heat and working slowly so as not to damage the housing or bend any shafts.

Re:800FGS now what? 13 years 4 months ago #23104

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Scott,
Nope Santa didn't bring me one. I'll have to purchase one I guess. Thanks for the tips on removing the shafts. I'll give that a shot here soon. Not really worried about the housing since it's cracked in two places anyway but definitely don't want to bend the shafts if they're salvagable. Won't know that until I get them out. Exposed parts look good though. Maybe I can get to it this weekend.

Bob

Re:800FGS now what? 13 years 4 months ago #23138

Hello Bob,
I too lost a son in 1995, he was 20. It was tough. We got through it. So I know what you are going through. Keeping busy helps alot. Just knowing all the friends and family you have for support really helps. I was still working then and that helped me keep going.
I'm glad there are sites like this that help get us through this type of loss. We are boating brother and sisters and stick together in good times and bad. Our boats will help heal us. God Bless You and your Family. My son loved boats too. He used to run the heck out my Glastron GT-150. He started out with a 10' pram powered by a 3hp Gamefisher.
Hang in there,
Dave

Re:800FGS now what? 13 years 4 months ago #23163

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Dave,
Thanks I truely appreciate that. Your right about friends, family and this site. Just getting back to going through the forums has helped keep me distracted. It's good to know there are kindred spirits out there that we can relate to.

Work is keeping me busy so far but it's hard to get motivated to get back at the motor and the boat. One of the hardest parts is that I fixed up the 60' Clipper to give to him. He didn't even get a ride in it. I'm hoping once my daughter gets a ride in it and drives it, she'll show enough interest so I can give it to her. Really want it to stay in the family. I'm hoping to get up enough gusto to get back at the Merc and get the lower unit apart. Hopefully this weekend.

Bob

Re:800FGS now what? 13 years 4 months ago #23298

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well I was able to motivate myself to get at the ole' Tower-O-Power this weekend. A little bit yesterday and a little today, fairly productive though.

Thanks go to Scott (Chinewalker) for the heat advice, it worked like a charm. Well, worked well with the prop shaft and my home made puller.

The drive shaft however needed a little more persuading. Heated it up good, used a 2x4 and rubber mallet, and broke the mallet! :ohmy: Switched to my 12oz claw hammer and 2x4 and worked fine. I wasn't too worried about the housing anyway since it's already cracked in two places.
Here's what the inside of the housing looks like, in the prop shaft well.

Yep that's good ole' water and gear lube, garage smells wonderful by the way. :S

Here are the gears, not too bad. The drive shaft gear needs new bearings of course.

Needle bearings will need to be replaced obviously.

Here's what the prop and drive shaft look like.

Just need a good cleaning I think.

Should I just get a new housing and replace all the needle bearings and seals, or just get a whole other lower unit with everything in tact?

Suggestions?

Bob

Re:800FGS now what? 13 years 4 months ago #23309

Bob,
There are still too many old lower units in much better condition to justify messing with what is left of this one.
I don't think I would try and re-use the gears, even with everything else corrected. If they were the last set around - they would possibly survive for a while, but better gears are around.
See the attached photo regarding the shafts.
Write direct if you want a price on a replacement lower unit. Then feel free to post my quote for a competitive quote or criticism.
Personally I wouldn't spend a dime on the lower unit until you are positive you are going to have a good powerhead, but having an idea as to how much the lower unit will cost will help in decision making regarding the project.
Thom
Attachments:

Re:800FGS now what? 13 years 4 months ago #23315

• Waterwings
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thom, Thanks I'll drop you a line. I'm kind of afraid to look at the power head after seeing what this lower unit looks like. I have a feeling it's been abused. That may be why I had such low compression ratings on all the cylinders. I'm hoping in just some stuck rings. I think I'm definitely jut going to have to tear down the power head instead of trying to run it. I'm guessing the crank seals and bearings may not much better, but t least the spin freely, so we'll see.

Bob

Re:800FGS now what? 13 years 3 months ago #23512

That would be totally awesome if that is the case, but as Randy suggests,..You STILL need to take a good look at the rings and ideally take the time to replace the upper and lower end cap seals and bearings...... :woohoo:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
( / Boats)

1963 Dorsett Catalina 17’
05-17-2024

The Pink Lady
( / Boats)