TOPIC: 1973 Century Resorter 16 Restore

Re:1973 Century Resorter 16 Restore 1 week 6 days ago #130848

• CC-John
  • CC-John's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Got to spend some quality time out in the garage this afternoon.. I got both cylinder heads torn down and cleaned, lapped the valves and reassembled with new valve stem seals..

Here's a few pics of the reassembly process..

Here's one of the heads and all it's parts laid out after cleaning.. The exhaust valves have had the stems lubed and are placed in their ports awaiting the installation of the new stem seals..

Using the valve spring compressor to install the springs, retainers, and keepers..

Here it is all reassembled and ready for paint..

Both heads assembled, painted, and ready to install as soon as I get the short block assembled..

The block will finally be ready to pickup from the machine shop Monday, so the short block will get assembled over the course of a few evenings next week..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

CC-John

1973 Century Resorter 16, 225HP Chrysler LM318

1978 Chris Craft 251 Catalina Express, 330HP Pleasurecraft 350 (383 Stroker)

Re:1973 Century Resorter 16 Restore 1 week 6 days ago #130855

Excellent, you're moving right along!!!

Bob

Re:1973 Century Resorter 16 Restore 1 week 6 days ago #130858

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Great progress. Now to assemble. When this site is down for upgrade this week it should give you some extra time. Next picture should be a completed motor, not just the short block :laugh:
Good luck.

Re:1973 Century Resorter 16 Restore 1 week 6 days ago #130860

• CC-John
  • Away
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks Guys!!

I'll try to see if I can coax the "War Department" to sit out in the garage and take some pics of the short block assembly, she's off work for spring break next week.. It's kinda hard to take pics when your hands are covered in oil from installing pistons.. ;)

The short block should go back together pretty quick, I've spent the last several evenings cleaning all the internal parts in the parts washer.. As soon as I get the block home and mounted on the stand, it's gonna get wiped down with acetone before I shoot a couple coats of primer then a couple coats of paint before assembly.. Once the engine is assembled, it will get two more coats of paint sprayed over it to protect all the unpainted fasteners and seal up and protect all the small gaps between the various components, and seal any exposed edges of the gaskets..

CC-John

1973 Century Resorter 16 Restore 5 days 23 hours ago #130894

• CC-John
  • Away
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Got up early Saturday morning and started getting everything ready to assemble the little Mopar.. Spent a couple of hours in front of the parts washer cleaning pistons and other internal engine parts.. After breakfast, I got out there and got the engine building shop cranked up..

Here's the cleaned pistons with new piston rings and rod bearings installed ready to go in their respective cylinders..

Assembled cylinder heads (under black plastic), valve lifters, timing chain & gears, oil pump drive gear and pushrods cleaned & ready, new oil pump in box..

Piston ring compressor, pump oiler full of assembly lube and sealants..

Assembled "short block"..

Continued below..

CC-John

1973 Century Resorter 16 Restore 5 days 23 hours ago #130895

• CC-John
  • Away
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Installed the oil pump & intake screen, also "dressed" the front of the engine with the timing chain & gears, timing cover, water distribution cover, fuel pump, harmonic balancer & pulley..

Cleaned the pan rails on the block and gave them a coat of gasket sealer to secure the gaskets before installing the oil pan..

Rolled her over on the stand and cleaned the decks before installing the cylinder head gaskets and heads..

Continued... Darn link limits..

CC-John

1973 Century Resorter 16 Restore 5 days 23 hours ago #130896

• CC-John
  • Away
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Installed the lifters, pushrods, and rocker shaft assemblies to button up the valve train..

I'll let her rest for a day or so before re-torquing the head bolts ahead of installing the intake manifold.. Once it's completely buttoned up I'll wipe all the oily fingerprints off before giving the assembled engine two full coats of paint to cover up all the bare fasteners and seal over the ends of all the gaskets.. Then its time to hang the exhaust manifolds and plumb the cooling system..

CC-John

1973 Century Resorter 16 Restore 5 days 23 hours ago #130897

• CC-John
  • Away
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Spent some time today installing the swim platform and the running gear in the boat..

Installed the platform brackets with new plywood backers and plenty of polysulfide sealant before mounting the platform..

Reinstalled the shaft strut after replacing the cutless bearing, installed the propeller shaft and propeller after having them reconditioned at Baumann Marine ..

Reinstalled the stuffing box with fresh packing and a new hose & hose clamps..

Got all the steering linkage hooked back up after installing the rudder..

Continued...

CC-John

1973 Century Resorter 16 Restore 5 days 23 hours ago #130898

• CC-John
  • Away
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Also spent some time readjusting the trailer bunks to raise the boat for more ground clearance between the prop & rudder and the pavement.. I've got just over a foot of clearance now between the rudder and the pavement..

After this weekend, I'm finally starting to get some room in the garage after reassembling the engine and reinstalling all the reconditioned parts back on the boat..

CC-John

1973 Century Resorter 16 Restore 5 days 17 hours ago #130901

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Time well spent while the site was down. Really watch those gas station entrance(s) when pulling the trailer. You could invest in a trailer prop guard made out of channel iron. See if one of your local weld shops could make something up for you.

1973 Century Resorter 16 Restore 5 days 16 hours ago #130902

• CC-John
  • Away
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

63 Sabre wrote: Time well spent while the site was down. Really watch those gas station entrance(s) when pulling the trailer. You could invest in a trailer prop guard made out of channel iron. See if one of your local weld shops could make something up for you.

Gas station entrances were the least of my problems, I had to raise the boat up just to be able to get it backed into MY driveway at home without having to remove the prop and rudder each time.. :ohmy:

I'm probably gonna have a custom trailer built for this boat after I finish putting it back together.. This trailer was built for a larger outboard powered boat and isn't easily modified as the entire frame is made of aluminum.. The previous owner had bolted a couple of pieces of 2" diameter solid steel bars between the frame rails just forward of the rear crossmember, this added enough weight to the trailer so it wouldn't float to the surface when retrieving the boat..

I'll probably have the same local builder that built the trailer for my Chris Craft build a custom galvanized trailer for the Century.. My Chris Craft's trailer has a massive "skid bar" to protect it's running gear.. :)

CC-John

1973 Century Resorter 16 Restore 2 days 40 minutes ago #130978

• CC-John
  • Away
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Managed to get a few good licks in on the Century's little Mopar every evening this week, while not quite ready for prime time, it's getting closer.. Engine restorations always seem to grind down to a snail's pace when they get down to hanging all the little stuff on 'em, cutting & fitting cooling hoses, cleaning up wire harnesses and all the other little detail work seem to take forever, but it's all worth it in the end when ya lift the engine hatch to show it off..

After scouring the web for pics of original and restored Chrysler Marine 318's, I found enough pics of the original fuel line that goes from the pump to the carburetor that I could fabricate a new one from scratch, the original factory lines have been NLA for close to 20 years..

Next up will be freshening up the Velvet Drive transmission with new seals, gaskets, and paint before mounting it to the engine.. Once it's all assembled and set in the test cradle, it will be fired up and run to set the timing & carburetor adjustments, and to check for any leaks before it gets set back in the boat..

CC-John

1973 Century Resorter 16 Restore 1 day 17 hours ago #130980

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Be very careful, the PO is going to demand it back.

1973 Century Resorter 16 Restore 1 day 16 hours ago #130981

• CC-John
  • Away
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

63 Sabre wrote: Be very careful, the PO is going to demand it back.

It'll be a cold day in hell before I ever give it back.. :lol:

I'm just anxiously awaiting the moment that it roars to life in the test cradle.. B)

CC-John

1973 Century Resorter 16 Restore 3 hours 12 minutes ago #131011

Me too, I want to hear that bad boy!

Bob

1973 Century Resorter 16 Restore 1 hour 10 minutes ago #131015

• CC-John
  • Away
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Waterwings wrote: Me too, I want to hear that bad boy!

Bob

I'm getting there as fast as I can!! :laugh:

CC-John

1973 Century Resorter 16 Restore 1 hour 9 minutes ago #131016

• CC-John
  • Away
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
The seal & gasket kit for the little Mopar's transmission came in this week so I tore down the transmission this afternoon to get it ready for a new set of seals & gaskets..

Here's the patient prepped for surgery.. The deep, large aluminum baking sheets from Sam's Club make great teardown pans for stuff like this, they keep any residual fluids captive and corral any small parts that try to escape..

Disassembly starts by removing the oil pump and the front adapter plate/reverse piston exposing the reverse clutch pressure plate..

Removing the reverse pressure plate exposes the bronze reverse clutch plate..

Grabbing the input shaft and lifting straight up removes the forward clutch assembly, this exposes the planetary gearset/output shaft.. Flipping the case over and removing the retaining nut on the output flange allows the planetary/output shaft to be removed from the case..

An hour and a half in front of the parts washer resulted in a pile of clean parts and case..

All that's left to do tomorrow is to drag the hydraulic press from the back of the garage so I can break down the forward clutch to be cleaned before installing new sealing rings then reassembling it..

Hopefully, I'll get this pile of parts reassembled and ready for a couple coats of paint by tomorrow afternoon..

CC-John

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds

FG Login

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Evinrude Johnson 4 Blade Brass Prop - AMC464
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

Evinrude Johnson 4 Blade Brass Prop - AMC464
03-25-2017

Evinrude Simplex Dual Controls
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)