• Page:

TOPIC: Repainting my wood boat.

Repainting my wood boat. 7 years 8 months ago #124608

• Hugh Long
  • Hugh Long's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
O K , this is a painted plywood boat from the 50's. Solid condition as it set inside unused for the last 40 years I have started sanding on it. The original paint will be staying on except for any problem areas. Two other coats are coming off. My question is, some of the filler over the screws is swelled up from water? so the filler was not up to the job. What is a good product to use to fill over the screws? I will be painting the boat with Marine oil base enamel. At least that is my plan at this point. The boat will see very limited use. Due to old age and banged up body, Me not the boat , I just can't get into a total rebuild job or fiberglassing :S I am open to any advise form those who have way more experience.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Repainting my wood boat. 7 years 8 months ago #124609

I don't have way more experience but I remember a thing called "short strand tiger hair" which was basically chopped glass fibers and a you mix quick epoxy. It sticks to anything but rubber and is paintable and strong enough to screw into. We used to use it for small holes and even to remount mirrors on cars. When dry it's very strong. Don't know if it will work for you but it's a very easy form of fiberglass to work with in small areas. Good luck with the boat AND the body. :)

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead !

Re:Repainting my wood boat. 7 years 8 months ago #124631

Hugh,
Usually on wood boats, mostly 1/2" planked kind, have countersunk holes so plugs/bungs can be glued/epoxied in. Once dry they are cut flush and sanded. Since your just going to paint you can use wood filler, let it dry, sand it then paint away. Prime it first then paint it.

Bob

Re:Repainting my wood boat. 7 years 8 months ago #124634

Won't the wood filler suck up more paint than the surrounding wood ? Only asking because I used to make cabinets and we caught that a lot with varnishing. Marine finishes are probably different but this is how I learn. :)

Re:Repainting my wood boat. 7 years 8 months ago #124657

Mark,
That's why you prime it first. When it comes to varnishing you use bungs/plugs so it matches the rest of the wood. Most of us use a plug cutter and cut the plugs out of the same would you used for the plank or panel. It's kind of hard to do with plywood so it's best to use a piece of wood that matches the outer Vernier layer i.e. oak, birch etc. if your going to cut your own plugs. Always try to match up the grain if possible so it will blend in.

Bob

Re:Repainting my wood boat. 7 years 8 months ago #124660

Good to know. With hardwood we'd save the dust from sanding and mix it with a little glue to match the colour. Never worked with plywood but might have to some day. I keep dreaming about an old rum runner.:)

Re:Repainting my wood boat. 7 years 8 months ago #124665

• Hugh Long
  • Hugh Long's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
O K thanks. I will use a good wood putty and prime/seal everything before I paint. I have a good random orbital sander that is taking it down pretty good, but will still be a lot of hand work. The good thing is I have 4 months before cold weather sets in.

Re:Repainting my wood boat. 7 years 8 months ago #124692

Welcome aboard!

Do NOT fiberglass an old wooden boat. That will be the death knell of her.

Use wood putty such as Famowood. I have also had very good luck using "Fill-It" by Smith and Company on my painted wooden boats.

Andreas

Re:Repainting my wood boat. 7 years 8 months ago #124694

The tiger hair was just a thought. :) I've done way more work on cars than I have on boats and it shows. It's very useful stuff but apparently NOT for wood. A day without learning is like a day without sunshine. Look, the sun's shining ! lol.

Re:Repainting my wood boat. 7 years 3 months ago #129452

Just did a 22' skiff craft weekender.I did the roll and tip method and added Penitral additive to the paint.loos like it's sprayed,

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8281 guests and 3 members online