Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Old boat trailers

Old boat trailers 10 years 1 week ago #92295

Got 5 trailers given to me late last year (in between snow storms). Had a 16' Holsclaw with carriage bolt pull-through in one side of one fender and a broken and poorly welded fender (3/8 steel) bracket. It took some work, maybe 45 minutes, but I fixed the carriage bolt holes and then broke the old welds on the bracket, had to fit the piece that was on the side the bolts had pulled through (it was sprung), bolt it on, then clamped the bracket in place and welded it front and back. Came out great. Soon after I got that done, a guy from Lake George pulled in to buy it.

Next is a 16' Tennessee Trailer. While this one and the Holsclaw would hold the same size boat, you can see why Holsclaw went out of business. You sure couldn't compete against trailers like this TN one. That is not to say the TN was poorly made. It's a pretty good trailer. Surprised the heck out of me when I pulled the hubs only to find the bearings were fine. Needs one cup, but the cones are fine. Got new seals waiting for me at NAPA. This trailer will be rebuilt for my Old Town canoe (project).

More to come.

Frank

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Old boat trailers 10 years 1 week ago #92299

nice work frank,when your done with all 5 you should get a good amount out of them,i know how great your craftsmanship is,john

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5944 guests and 2 members online