Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers

Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 12 years 3 months ago #54289

I am restoring a 1957 Tee Nee trailer. Does anyone know what would be a good replacement shock absorber for it? The original shocks do not seem that bad, but I would like to replace them. They are Gabriel number 18378 which are no longer available. Anyone know a cross reference of substitute number?
Thanks,
Chip
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
330-239-2524

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 12 years 3 months ago #54299

I think someone matched up a set that does the job and that was before I got my Tee Nee. Mine are fine ans look original. But boy they are old and the rubber look like it seen better days. I'd like to know that one too. Mine are on but if you take them off and measure it extended and then compressed and see how those specs measure up on a new shocks. I think Gabriel is in business yet, maybe a call or e mail to them with the number will do. This pic was before I stripped everything.
Attachments:

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 12 years 3 months ago #54308

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Chip. Here's a link to a thread where we were sourcing shocks for a Holsclaw trailer, they may be close to the same size on a Tee Nee, not sure. The current Monroe Magnum part number is listed there. Short of that, as Robert stated, get the extended and collapsed length and take it to your local parts guy, they can often find something really close.

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/13-trailer-talk/15442-holsclaw-d1475-rebuild.html#30829

Mark

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 12 years 3 months ago #54345

some time back there was a discussion of the tee nee shock. the monroe number is 33076UMM. i used to have a picture of the part box.

[img] [img]http://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/billS18.jpg
Attachments:

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 12 years 3 months ago #54350

I want to thank you all for your help. This is really a great organization! After posting my first message, I began some serious research. I called Gabriel and they said they no longer make the 18378 shock, they make nothing to replace it, and don't know who does. Last Summer I purchased a 1957 16 foot Lyman and it has what looks like a home made trailer, but has what appears to be a TeeNee trailer suspension, with coils and shocks. I crawled under the trailer and got the number off those shocks-33076. There was no name on them, but they are blue and remembered that Monroe shocks were blue. I called Monroe and they could not cross the Gabriel number, but said the 33076 shock is theirs and gave me the specs on it.
It compares very favorably to the original Gabriel shock. The extended length of the Monroe is about 3/4 inch longer than the Gagriel-no problem. The compressed length is 1 inch longer than the Gagriel-only a problem if a heavy loaded trailer bottoms it out. I doubt that will ever happen.The only issue is the bushings at each end of the Monroe are 1/2 inch ID vs 3/8 ID on the Gabriels. One can either bush the bushings on the Monroes or drill the mounting holes out bigger. The Monroe 33076 appears to be the answer (as validated by teenee tiny's message). Luckily I found them on Amazon.com for $6.76 each, free shipping, and they will be here tomorrow! Hopefully the UMM suffix does not make a difference.
Sorry for the long message. Thanks again for all your help! I may call on your assistance again during this restoration project. The intent is to put the restored TeeNee under the Lyman and sell the TeeNee wanabee trailer. Best regards and happy trailering. Chip

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 12 years 3 months ago #54428

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Let us know if the one's you have coming work for you ? My trailer had Gabrial # 18373 on them and I got a monroe # from somewhere (That I never tried ) #59041 ?? I just cleaned the ones that were on the trailer and a coat of paint and they seem to be good (For Now) Rubber was good . Will have to re-place them someday so I'm interested to see if the shocks you get work for you ! Good luck
Attachments:

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 12 years 3 months ago #54432

WOW! That trailer looks great! I will let you know how the shocks work out. They look exactly like yours. What kind of yellow paint did you use on your trailer?
Thanks,
Chip

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 12 years 3 months ago #54438

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Rustolium "Sunburst Yellow" can't beat the price and it also comes in a rattle can for the small parts

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 12 years 3 months ago #54456

Looks like min except the fender lights. I chose Rustolium gray.
Attachments:

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 12 years 3 months ago #54461

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Looks like the same one. I don't know how you are going to restore your rubber rollers but what I did that worked really well on mine was to take my electric drill and put a wire wheel on it. Got the rollers adjusted and greased so they spun real easy and took the wheel to them at full speed. Got them spinning like a lathe and went back and forth and they cleaned up just like brand new. You can see in the pictures above, those are the original rollers with no paint- silicone or anything.I like the Rustolium paint and now I'm painting my boat with the top side primer then paint. I also found out you can use their clear coat as a final. Can't wait to get to the clear coat.

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 12 years 3 months ago #54463

Mine was last summer project that needs just a few things and roller work is one. I need to find one roller. The bunk hardware is done but I need to finish them. And the step pads need bought.
Attachments:

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 12 years 3 months ago #54470

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
You even have the same wheels as mine. I'm on the hunt for a couple 12" wheels with clips so I can go with hub caps - but Thats whenever the right pair come along ! Trailer looks good color on the fenders almost matches the color of my Dorsett. Thanks for the pictures . This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. has the fender lights and the step pads if you are looking ?
Attachments:

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 12 years 3 months ago #54471

I had three original wheels but were badly rusted. I took the tires off and was going to sandblast them but the metal was black and a hit with the hammer produced many small holes. I junked them. I have one left to try. I think it is the same way. I'm using regular trailer lights on mine.
Attachments:

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 12 years 3 months ago #54498

Thanks for the response on the paint! I will use the Rustoleum Sunburst Yellow, especially now that they offer a clear coat. I like the idea of being able to get spray cans of it for small parts and touch up.
Another topic. My trailer has the teepee style enclosed winch. It has the rubber covered 'V' shaped bow stop. The rubber is torn where the bolt goes through it. Anybody have a source for a new rubber cover for it, or a way to make one?
Thanks,
Chip

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 12 years 3 months ago #54504

• MarkS
They make a "liquid rubber" to dip tool handles in, coating them in rubber when they dry. I guess it's like the "liquid electric tape" many of us use on wiring connections to weatherproof them. Might be able to use that to fix or fabricate a new bow stop? Just a thought in case you can't find a serviceable replacement.

Mark

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 12 years 3 months ago #54506

Thanks, Mark. Sounds like it could work.

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 12 years 3 months ago #54519

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I did not clear coat the trailer. I'm going to use clear coat on the top side of the boat. Don't think I would clear coat a trailer but each to his own.Clear coat they make is an automotive application that Rustolium told me is compatible with their Topside marine paint. That yellow is straight out of the can - no hardener or clear coat - its thinned with Mineral spirits and sprayed. That white bow stop on my Tee Pee Winch stand was just sanded down and sprayed with Flat white spray paint .

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 9 years 6 months ago #101060

Just finished the 1957 TeeNee trailer restoration. It was a lot more work and expense than I anticipated. I bought the trailer over two years ago and collected parts and materials since then. Gave it an all-out effort this year to get it done to put my 1957 Lyman on it. Thanks to all who helped with technical information on this project! This is a great website!
Chip
Attachments:

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 9 years 6 months ago #101074

• MarkS
Turned out really nice Chip, good job!

Mark

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 9 years 6 months ago #101083

Thanks, Mark. Here is another picture with the Lyman on it.
Attachments:

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 9 years 6 months ago #101102

Looks like it belongs there. NICE :)

Re:Tee Nee Trailer shock absorbers 9 years 6 months ago #101115

I recently bout three T Nee's from guy he even restored one and had put different spindles on this trailer and then advertised that trailer the trailer as restored.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5750 guests and no members online