Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New guy saying hello! And a few questions too

New guy saying hello! And a few questions too 6 years 3 months ago #135246

Hi everyone

Just picked up a 70's vintage fiberglass boat. It is a bit of a faded old project but actually appears very solid. This will be my first boat build but have been through a few complete car restorations so I have a bit of experience with projects that start small and end up much larger hahah!

My main question was about the manufacturer of the boat. I cant seem to see any Transport Canada plate on it anywhere. It is fitted with a 1970 Johnson 40hp and all the controls look to me to be original equipment to the boat so I am guessing it must be 1970 +- a few years. I will post a picture and it would be awesome if some of the experts here might be able to pick out the make and model.

If it helps at all, I am located in Nova Scotia, Canada and the boat appears to be last licensed in Toronto.

Thanks in advance!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New guy saying hello! And a few questions too 6 years 3 months ago #135301

Try to post several pic's of the inside as well as all around the outside. Being familiar with cars, I am sure you know a particular automobile just by recognizing the body style. I would know a 73 Buick Riviera from a 100 yards, just because of the boat tail. If I took my glasses off... Anyway, the lines on your boat, from the one picture you posted so far, very plain, not much to go on. I will say that it may very well be older than you think, just because of the style of the bow light. So take a picture of the steering wheel, or look for some numbers stamped or molded into the back of the transom. Good luck and welcome to the site.

New guy saying hello! And a few questions too 6 years 3 months ago #135303

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
The Torpedo looking cleats on the back look the same as my original 1958 boat. Likely they used those for several years. The mid mounted gunnel cleats look newer and positioned like they were added later. The open style cleats on the front are also like my 1958, but again, I don’t know how many years those styles were available. They are typically used in conjunction with a mid bow center mounted close for tying the rope and the outer cleats are the rope guides. Would there be a center bow cleat hidden under the snow? Agree the bow light looks older than 1970. The cleats look older vintage, yet the lines on your boat do not look old fashioned like my 1958 boat or other late 50s boats I have seen. Seems like somewhere in the 1960 range but I am purly guessing at this point. If you remove the throttles, look for other mounting holes that are different from what is in there. If they are original, maybe someone can identify the range of years those throttles were available. Very nice looking boat no matter what history reveals! Perfect size for lots of motor options!

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8837 guests and one member online