Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: GT160 followed me home

GT160 followed me home 7 years 8 months ago #125467

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Had to have this. Found it in Canada just over the border, 10 hour round trip. Mint original, parked in garage in 79 it's a 75 so 4 years of minimal use. Unbelievable condition. Original Carpet, seats, gel everything near perfect. Need to do the preventative sealing of the transom etc. to keep it all healthy before I get it wet...oh and it gets a 76 inline6 1150.......found that in NJ stored after 2 hours of use! Crazy clean, crazy story as to why it was mothballed for 40 plus years.
I just can't believe this stuff still comes up and there seems to be very little interest.....except us!

OOOOPS double post, sorry.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: GT160 followed me home 7 years 8 months ago #125470

As a Canadian I protest the loss ;) but I'm glad it found an appreciative home. Since I started getting back into boats last year it amazes how much stuff I notice up here parked under leanto's and sitting beside barns. Our winters reek havoc on them but some are real jewels. I'm hoping to save a few in the coming years. Good luck with her :)

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead !

Re:GT160 followed me home 7 years 8 months ago #125472

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Love that model...and the condition of that find is simply WOW! Congratulations! Great to see items saved and used again. I live in snow country, so short summers...but I get about 80 hours per summer. If you keep up with maintenance, keep it clean and waxed, keep it out of the rain and sun (if possible) without year round exposure, they seem to last pretty well. My daily driver is 26 years old and it is better now than when I bought it at 7 years old when P.O. left snow piled in it (cover wadded up on floor) with cheap plywood backing on seats was starting to rot. I replaced all the wood and had new seat made. Not cheep, but brought the boat back to life and value back to the boat. I found a one owner boat used 50 years that was in presentable working condition with no dried hoses or wires, nor no crazed gelcoat because it was garage kept between uses. I am trying to keep things up for the next generation owners...not always easy, but worth it.

Dr.Go!

Re:GT160 followed me home 7 years 8 months ago #125478

Love the look of those boats. I had a GT-150 follow me home earlier this year, but it has a LOT of work to do before it is water ready. I will pop the top and replace floor, stringers, transom, etc this winter. Hopefully it will be ready to rock by next year. Can't wait till it is done and ready to roll.

Attachments:

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

Re:GT160 followed me home 7 years 8 months ago #125479

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I think your 007 Bond boat movie forever engrained me into a boat nut (as if I wasn't hooked enough already). I never get tired of seeing the GT-150. Best of luck with your restoration and have fun putting your own personal touches to it. When I see them on the water, they seem to be able to handle a pretty aggressive turn rather nicely (looks impressive like the movie). They probably last longer if you do not jump them 110' like the movie :)

Dr.Go!

Re:GT160 followed me home 7 years 8 months ago #125482

I will try to keep away from the Lousiana bayous so I am not tempted to jump any ditches or J W Pepper!

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

Re:GT160 followed me home 7 years 8 months ago #125503

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Not to mention Gators. I skied down one of the rivers as a teenager. Snakes and Gators...what was I thinking...just don't ski near shore. I still love these boats and almost bought a few over the years when I had no boat at all, but the stars never lined up.

Dr.Go!

Re:GT160 followed me home 7 years 8 months ago #125507

What they call "wake boarding" nowadays, we used to call trolling for gators ! LMAO.

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead !

Re:GT160 followed me home 7 years 8 months ago #125513

Talking about the stars lining up, I might be buying another look-alike. 1974 Marlin with a Merc 1350 on it. Going to try to get some more info on it.

Re: GT160 followed me home 7 years 7 months ago #126613

• Paul
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Wow, That is one nice GT-160. Nice color too. I'd almost be afraid to use it. Great find!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 15949 guests and one member online