Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Questions about 61' Crestliner Restore

Questions about 61' Crestliner Restore 11 years 2 weeks ago #75135

I have a 61' Crestliner Mustang 14 and I'm planning on getting it back on the water. It is in phenomenal shape for its age. It belonged to my dad for the past 33 years and his brother owned it before that. Both took extra good care of the boat. My dad hasn't had it on the water since 1989 and it has been setting in a barn every since with a cover on it. All of the original parts are there and the only thing that will need replacing is the seats. I plan on having new ones built to match the originals. Anyways, I have some questions about the project.

First, is the hull. Do you think its safe? What are some ways I can tell if it is? Other than putting it in the water to see if it floats, I was wondering if you guys have any tips on inspecting it to tell whether or not it may have rotten wooden stringers or water logged foam.

Second question, is the motor. The motor on it is no good and that's why dad parked it. He said he wore it completely out so its time for a different motor. It has a 40 hp Johnson. One of my thoughts on this is if I could get by with a 70 horse on it. I know the structure of the boat is a big concern with putting a bigger hp on it...especially the transom. But if it seems to be solid, how crazy would it be to put a 70 horse on a boat with a max rating of 45 hp? Dad said the old 40 horse was so heavy that the boat wouldn't hardly plain out if there was people in the backseat. But that 40 horse was twice the size of this extra 70 hp that I have in the garage. Think it would be lighter? The 40 horse was a 1961 and this 70 hp I have is a 1974. Its been rebuilt and is in great running shape. Is there a website or something that has info on these older motors and maybe their weight? I think it'd be nice to have a lighter motor on the back and boost the boat's hp. The length of the boat is almost 14 foot and has a 5 foot beam. I know a boat's max hp rating is listed for a reason but I know a lot of guys that run bigger motors on their boats than they're rated but they are fairly new boats that are in better shape than my 61' is. I wish I knew more about boats because I'm obsessed with them...hopefully I haven't asked too many dumb questions for you guys to answer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Questions about 61' Crestliner Restore 11 years 2 weeks ago #75148

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I have a 62 Crestliner Del Rio and mine has fiberglass stringers with marine plywood screwed down on them. I'd say if yours has vinyl covered plywood screwed down with stainless steel screws,your stringers would be hollow fiberglass(won't rot)

Re:Questions about 61' Crestliner Restore 11 years 2 weeks ago #75151

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
According to this,your boat is different and has wood glassed in for the floor. www.retrocrestliner.com/1961catalog/1961%20catalog,%20page%2013,%20mustang%2014%20deluxe.jpg

Re: Questions about 61' Crestliner Restore 11 years 2 weeks ago #75152

wjhuskey,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: Questions about 61' Crestliner Restore 11 years 2 weeks ago #75181

Thanks satx

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)