Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: OMC Engine Harness

OMC Engine Harness 9 years 6 months ago #101624

Not sure if this is the right section to post this, but I'm trying to find an engine harness for my OMC 210 I/O. The OEM # is 383339, later changed to 0383339. If anyone has a NOS harness or a used harness that is still in great shape, please let me know. I'm not interested in harnesses that have cracked wire insulation, already have that. Thanks for your replies.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
1969 OMC Evinrude Rogue II 210
163 original hours

Re:OMC Engine Harness 9 years 3 months ago #104194

Well, I was hoping that after two months I'd get one response but, judging from the strike-outs I've had calling around, it looks like I'm going to have to suck it up and build a harness from scratch.

The fun part is going to be locating the correct wire type, color, size and putting it together. It's not that I don't know how to do it, I just prefer not to.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:OMC Engine Harness 9 years 3 months ago #104197

Find a generic I/O wiring diagram and it should be color coded, possibly sized too.

Many online suppliers have downloadable chart on their site.
Here's one

USE tinned marine wire, not whatever you can pickup from a non-marine supplier...

Re:OMC Engine Harness 9 years 3 months ago #104220

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I know it's not a lot of fun Frederic, but it's probably your only option at this point. Here's the place I use for marine grade wire and connections, I highly recommend them. Decent prices, fast and free shipping, good quality stuff!
www.genuinedealz.com/marine-wire

Mark

Re:OMC Engine Harness 9 years 3 months ago #104346

As mentioned earlier, pull down a diagram. The designations didn't change much and you can probably get a newer harness that will work fine - although you'll probably have to change the connectors - don't know what they used then. If the round one, then you may well be in luck. At a minimum, just get a good used harness that has enough of the right sized wires, and wire to current code (which I think was set in the 70's, but was pretty close to what OMC was doing anyway). I'm doing something similar with the mariner, which has an outboard. I am basicalluy going to run a later model harness to the various gauges I will eventually install so i can pull it in the winter to store indoors. As long as you can read and follow a schematic/diagram, shouldn't be hard, just a little time consuming.

As an FYI, although may not apply to you, when I was putting a new V8 in my old four winns, I discovered, VERY late, that the harnesses mercruiser and OMC were using in the 80's at least, were identical, just oriented differently. So I had a nercruiser engine with an OMC outdrive. Yea, a little jury rigging to make it all work, but as long as careful it will work.

Re:OMC Engine Harness 8 years 11 months ago #109524

What did you ever find out I am trying to help out a friend that has or had the same problem 1970 OMC 210 with the same harness insulation falling off all the wires your help would be apreaciated since you have already been down this path

Thanks David
Retired Navy

Re:OMC Engine Harness 8 years 11 months ago #110124

I had the same issue with my Sportsman 155. I ended up building a new one. I was able to salvage the the connector plug. I soldered and used flooded shrink tube on all of the connections. One nice part about it is I installed a Pertronix unit at the same time and was able to eliminate excess wires. I had some pictures of the process, but can't seem to find them. I laid the old one out on some plywood and used nails to help keep the shape. Work with one wire at a time and try to space the solder joints a bit so the harness doesn't get a big bulge in it. I also left the ends long and put those connectors on after the harness was installed in the boat. Good luck!

Re:OMC Engine Harness 8 years 10 months ago #110982

Boy did I get lucky and find the needle in the haystack! I have been searching for OMC part#0383339, the main engine wiring harness for the entire time I've owned the boat. Today I received an email from Mayday Marine Services stating that they had ONE harness in stock.

The last NOS 0383339 harness, that I know of, is now on its way to Idaho.

Makes up for all the problems I'm dealing with, regarding the house construction....that's a story for another day.

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:OMC Engine Harness 8 years 10 months ago #111154

Mayday Marine Service is one outstanding company. I received my main engine wiring harness today.

Between the new harnesses...I bought a NOS tilt harness many months ago...and the NOS transom boot, we're going to have a boat that will last us for many years.
Attachments:

Frederic
Retired Army Guy
163 original hours

Re:OMC Engine Harness 8 years 10 months ago #111566

Nice!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.212 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8643 guests and 2 members online