Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This is where great FiberGlassics are found and shared. Be it Craigslist, Ebay or your local classifieds, post your sightings here for others to see.
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1963 Dorsett Farallon

1963 Dorsett Farallon 7 years 3 weeks ago #131103

Came across this 1963 Dorsett Farallon. Seems in decent shape but could use some elbow grease. The guy wants $4900 seems kinda steep to me.

Description:

1963 21 ft. Dorsett Farallon (actual overall length 20.5 ft.) fiberglass hull cabin cruiser for sale in good condition. Featuring an upgraded 292-cid GM truck engine (200 hp MerCruiser) and outdrive system with power trim, the boat now has a top speed of 40+ mph. Most impressive is how quickly the vessel jumps out of the hole (ideal for water skiing) because of the low-end torque that the Chevy truck engine provides coupled with the quick-planing hull design. The boat was originally equipped with a 194 cid Chevrolet engine and Mercuiser power tilt.

Features:
Trailer - recently painted
Barr Marine intake/exhaust manifold with two (2) carb set-up
Bennett trim tabs
Stainless-steel braided power-trim hoses
New outdrive water pump impeller
Newer outdrive hoses
Newer outdrive U-joints and gimbal bearing
Swim ladder
Depth sounder
Compass
Bilge pump
Blower
Original Coleman upright cooler
New battery
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1963 Dorsett Farallon 7 years 2 weeks ago #131161

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Nice find. Does seem a little steep but remember it's the asking price. Offer $4--- and go back and forth. If it's water ready withoug major issues it's probably worth it. Trailer, etc. Now if it had fenders on the trailer it would be worth big bucks :-)

1963 Dorsett Farallon 7 years 2 weeks ago #131162

I got him down to $4k. Going to look at it next Tuesday. I'll keep you posted.

1963 Dorsett Farallon 7 years 1 week ago #131353

About the 292 engine. MerCruiser only used it one year & that was 1969. It has massive torque and was coupled to a MCM #2 drive, not a #1 drive like you are looking at. The 292 used a different manifold with a 4 barrel carburetor.

The old 194 was a 1962/63 140 HP rated engine. It was hooked to the original #1 drives that used a 14" diameter prop (1st year production drive only). The following year, they used a 230 CID 150 HP hooked to the MCM 1A,B,C drive (1964 thru 1966) that used the 16" diameter prop. The next generation drive was the 120/160 that was used from 1967 thru 1969 and it only was mated up to a 250 CID 160 HP rated engine. This drive was improved again in 1970 and eventually hooked to V-8's and built thru about 1982. So, bottom line is I am not sure how long a #1 drive will stay together unless you baby it.

Actually I'm a bit confused what drive is on the boat. There was no power trim until 1967, so maybe there is an upgraded later year transom plate & drive installed? Remove the prop & see in the prop shaft has a taper or square shoulder where the thrust hub sits. If tapered, it will be 1970 or later. Still, with the original manifold which was dual one barrels, you won't be getting the full 200 HP of the 292.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.427 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5992 guests and no members online