Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Got a question about an other outboard? Scott, Ward and others are discussed here!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Scott outboard question

Scott outboard question 3 years 8 months ago #143029

I am restoring a 1959 performer t-bird 14 ft boat and it came with a 40hp Scott outboard. I got the motor running but it is a pullstart and takes a bit of force to get going- has anyone ever converted these to the electric start? i have the service manual for the motor and there are a few geared flywheels on ebay, but it looks like the ignition system would be the wrong size? i know it would be extreme to replace, but i was thinking about using a battery for starting only, and retaining the current ignition.

Also, cables are in okay shape, the outer rubber is worn in a few spots but fully functional. I broke one of the black clips that fits on the motor transmission- do you have an extra or know of any place that has one?

Thanks to all for the vast info on this site...it has helped me alot

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Scott outboard question 3 years 1 month ago #144128

I am trying to remove the powerhead (engine) following the procedure in the 1960 repair manual- which states "remove the allen head screws which secure the powerhead to the adapter assembly. Be sure the screws partially hidden by the motor support and shift handle are removed"

I have read that there are 13 of these screws. i cannot find all of them... any tips or tricks on how to remove this engine?

Scott outboard question 3 years 3 weeks ago #144177

The hardest bolts are by the rubber mounts attaching the drive unit to the transom bracket. It requires a short stubby 90 degree allen
wrench to remove the two bolts. The others should be fairly easy.

Scott outboard question 3 years 3 weeks ago #144180

Yes- thank you. I was able to remove all 13 screws and lift off the powerhead. I was able to find a replacement exhaust/base gasket from Laing's outboards. I am going to try to clean up the powerhead and repaint and check all the seals on the lower unit... along with replacing the rubber bushings/mounts for the engine...
Does anyone know where to find replacement engine mounts? i thought i read somewhere that older merc ones might work...
Attachments:

Scott outboard question 2 years 10 months ago #144592

So the motor has been confirmed as a 1960 Scott 40hp. The 'new' flywheel and starter motor are installed and working. I hope to get things back together for a final test but so far the conversion is going well.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6833 guests and no members online