Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Got a question about an other outboard? Scott, Ward and others are discussed here!
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1957 or 1958 Scott-Atwater 40 hp...HELP ME!

1957 or 1958 Scott-Atwater 40 hp...HELP ME! 4 years 8 months ago #140280

Howdy Guys and Gals, I have a 1957 or 1958 Scott-Atwater 40 hp outboard (not sure which!) on a 1957 Holiday 110 runabout. The engine is completely original, with all of the electrical parts and wiring attached, controls and cables still hooked up, including the "Bail-o-matic" feature! I'm a bit unfamiliar with outboards, and this one in particular is quite the puzzle! My experience is limited to PWC's, and I'm more familiar with them. I'm 100% disabled and retired now, and I'd really like to get this little runabout going again! The "Need for Speed" is still there, but I just want a cool little cruiser, that will turn a head or two, and have a decent turn of speed as well, to keep my wife and grandsons entertained! I can't seem to find an outboard mechanic in my area of N.C. that knows anything about my outboard, or is even willing to give it a shot! My common reply when I ask about it, is: "That ain't worth messing with" or "You can't get parts" or my favorite, "Why don't you just buy a new outboard?" I was born in 1957, and I want to fix my '57! What's wrong with that? I don't have unlimited funds, but I'd be willing to "pay as you go" if I could just get some HELP! I'd like to find someone that's passionate about the brand, and likes to work on them. I've read that they're pretty good engines, if treated right. The boat and engine combo is Red and White, and I found one picture on line that looked exactly like mine, but I can't find it anymore! Pm me here, or call or text: (919)-902-4462 Anytime! Blue Skies and Thanks! Blair

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1957 or 1958 Scott-Atwater 40 hp...HELP ME! 4 years 8 months ago #140435

I worked on them in my earlier days, I may be able to answer some of your questions

1957 or 1958 Scott-Atwater 40 hp...HELP ME! 4 years 6 months ago #140849

Same experience with my 1965 McCulloch 75hp....
Mechanic says ",why would you want to spend $300 on THAT?"
Me "Um, how much does a newer, running 75hp cost, sir?"
Mechanic "$3-5k"

It depends on what is wrong, but many standard seals can be had, gaskets show up on ebay. I just bought a totally ruined '63 45hp that I disassembled down to the last nut so that I could see every seal and gasket in real life (exploded-view-parts manuals can be purchased on eBay" I did finally find someone here in MN that works on old motors, but everyone else said "no" even when I said I expected no part finding or even necessarily success. I did find some part interchange with Mercury items (not obsolete). You can make these motors run, but it is indeed hard to get help and parts. If you want it badly enough, you can get there, as long as you have at least good compression and don't need to take the powerhead off/apart.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)