Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Got a question about an other outboard? Scott, Ward and others are discussed here!
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trying to find year/model of a Scott-McCulloch 40

Trying to find year/model of a Scott-McCulloch 40 7 years 4 months ago #128632

Well, I'm official. I pulled the trigger on a 1962 Esquire that I spotted on Craigslist. Anyway, it appears to be in really good shape and I'm just trying to learn anything I can about the boat and motor. The motor's SN appears to be 336A6881 - but I'm only certain of the A and 6881. Can anyone help me identify it? Is it a 1962 as well? Also it may need a new starter and the one in there is a Delco Remy. Is that original? I took quite a few pictures but I'm not sure how many I can post. Thanks for all your help!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Trying to find year/model of a Scott-McCulloch 40 7 years 4 months ago #128636

superboll,

Congratulations on getting the "new" boat. Looks great.
The prefix on your motor serial number is 336A. Scott service bulletin 387 indicates that it is a 1959 two cylinder, 40 HP, short shaft, with electric start.
The starter was made by Delco Remy. It's probably the original or a Delco replacement.
The 1959 parts manual lists four different starters that could be used.

Orig.Delco Number Scott Flywheel No. Scott Starter Number
1113567 1436-100 replace with 3675-4150 (1113555)
1113568 436-100 replace with 436-4150 (1113560)

You need to determine which one you have. I probably have a service bulletin with more info, but need to know what you have now.
Depending on what is wrong with the starter, you have a number of options.
Are you sure the starter is the problem? I can send you the checkout for that starter from the Scott Atwater service manual.
You can take it to an automotive electrical shop and they might be able to rebuild or repair it if they can get parts. Some shops look at old outboard electrical starters as a challenge and will make a strong effort to get yours repaired, and others will tell you they are a pain in the butt and will tell you they don't even want to look at it.
Used starters sometimes show up on ebay occasionally, or you might find a parts motor near you.
Check Craig's List under "boat parts" for a starter, or "boats" for a vintage Scott parts motor.
Go on the AOCMI website and see what their used parts forum has, or run a wanted ad on their site.
Go to the FG Glassifieds and run a wanted add.
Google Discount Marine and Liangs Outboards and contact them.
Make sure to check the starter mount if you pull the starter. Many of the 40 HP were cracked.
This is a link to a 1957 to 1959 Service manual on ebay. This could be a good help if you plan to do any of your own work.

Also keep watching ebay for a 1959 Parts manual. You will see three types. One that covers all 1959 motors, one that only covers 1959 Scott Atwater 40 HP, and one for a 1959 Scott Atwater 40 HP Royal Scott.
The first two will work for your motor. The third is for a model with all the bells and whistles. It will work, but the first two are better.
Somehow the starter number info got crunched when I submitted it.

Don

Re:Trying to find year/model of a Scott-McCulloch 40 7 years 4 months ago #128642

Thank you very much, Don. I can't get over how great people are on here about answering questions etc. I took the cover off last night and the starter appears to be a 1113560-6886. I actually drove by a place here in Milwaukie, OR that fixes up auto starters... maybe I will see if they are up to the challenge. Unfortunately, I have little mechanical skills or knowledge but I thought I should know what I have and find the manual to show someone that can fix it. I am not sure that the starter is bad -- this motor was apparently running fine a week ago and was told that a starter most likely bit the dust. Once again, thanks for the kind reply. I really appreciate it.

-Josh

Re:Trying to find year/model of a Scott-McCulloch 40 7 years 4 months ago #128653

Josh,

I believe that taking it into a shop would be the best thing to do at this point. They might at least check it out on a starter tester and then you would know whether it's a starter problem or an electrical system glitch.
If it isn't repairable, Wilson Electrical builds both new and reman starters and they stock a replacement for 1113560. It's listed to fit Scott/Mcculloch 40/45 HP outboards from 1959 to 1964. It's not clear if it is a new or reman.
They have dealers all over the US according to their dealer locator. The first link is to a dealer in Tucson AZ that has a price of $162 for the starter. The next link is to the Wilson company with more info on the starter. Put 1113560 in the search box. It will bring up your starter. You might want to compare it with yours.
Hopefully it's OK, or can be repaired for a reasonable amount. Wilson also sells most of the parts for the starter.

www.filterspro.com/detail.cfm?part=2003363

www.wilsonautoelectric.com/Shared/PartSearch

Don

Re:Trying to find year/model of a Scott-McCulloch 40 7 years 3 months ago #128930

Hello Don-

Well I took the motor to a mechanic that specializes in older stuff and he had good and bad news. He said it had great compression and noted everything was in great shape. The starter was, in deed, bad. But there was water in the lower unit -- but I can find the seal kit and impeller.

My main question to you (and anyone else that wants to chime in) is about the starter right now. Thanks in large part to you, I was able to find a WILSON remanufactured starter for about $140. After a phone call today, I am able to get a "NOS" starter for the same price. If you had your choice, which would you go for? If starters have been sitting that long, do they go bad? Thanks in advance!

Re:Trying to find year/model of a Scott-McCulloch 40 7 years 3 months ago #128931

Well I do not think you would go wrong with either starter. Scott built a good starter when new so NOS would be my first chose. You do not know for sure just what they put in the rebuild one or how bad it was before the rebuild.
But before I spend that much on a starter. I would like to know if your mechanic checked your coils, points and condensers. I guess what I am asking how much are you willing to invest in your motor to get it running.
I run several 40 Scotts and find them to be good running and easy to,work on.

Del

Re:Trying to find year/model of a Scott-McCulloch 40 7 years 3 months ago #128932

Thanks, Del. The only mechanic I found to work on my motor was named Dell. It must be in the name. He did not look at the coils, points and condensors...but said if I happened to find any parts to grab them up. He's been very honest and realistic. I don't know why I'm spending this much money to get this motor running myself :) He advised me to look for an older Merc or Johnson so that I could find parts much easier. I'm glad you have some 40 Scotts that are good running. Gives me some hope. If I spend this much money, I'm hoping I get a few good years of cruising out of it. Thanks for your reply.

Re:Trying to find year/model of a Scott-McCulloch 40 7 years 3 months ago #128940

Josh,

Del is a good friend of mine and he does have some nice running 40 HP Scotts.
He brings up a good point. You may want to be sure the motor runs before investing more money in it. Good compression is one good sign, but if you have fuel and electrical problems to sort out the parts bill can climb quickly.
You might want to try pull starting it. I have attached the procedure below. The document is dated 1957, but it should cover your 1959.
If you want to go right to a starter replacement I agree with Del that an NOS would be better, but make sure it's a real NOS starter. Some sellers will pick up rebuilt parts at auctions etc. and call it NOS. The Delco number on the starter should match yours, hopefully it's in the original box, and there shouldn't be any evidence of it being mounted on a motor.
I can't imagine a 40 HP Scott starter laying around for almost 60 years, but I suppose it's possible. If Discount Marine has it, it's the real thing. They bought out a lot of factory and dealer stock when Mcculloch threw in the towel.
Good luck and let us know how you're progressing.

Don
Attachments:

Re:Trying to find year/model of a Scott-McCulloch 40 7 years 3 months ago #128946

Thanks Don. You're right again. I called Discount Marine this morning about seal kits and thankfully remembered to ask about the starter. I gave him the number and he told me he had three left. Missing some paint but as you eluded - the real deal. I think I will go ahead and get the starter in the next few days. I am going to try to start it manually if I get the time. Appreciate the help as always, guys. Will keep you posted.

Re:Trying to find year/model of a Scott-McCulloch 40 7 years 3 months ago #129113

So after many phone calls to various places, Discount Marine sent a starter with a different serial number. When I called, we discussed the exact serial number of 1113560 but I received 1113571. I wanted to verify that I need to send it back. Don originally said there were four used in 1959. Are these equivalent? Thanks fellas.
Attachments:

Re:Trying to find year/model of a Scott-McCulloch 40 7 years 3 months ago #129126

Josh,

The 1113560 was used on the 1959 40 HP with flywheel 436-100. Eventually the 1113571 was a replacement for 1113560 starter.
Eventually AC Delco obsoleted both the 1113560 and 1113571 with no recommended replacement number.
Your 1113571 is a NOS starter that will work in your motor.
In a previous post I tried to set up a chart with the four starters, but for some reason when it posted the chart was compressed into a bit of a confusing mess. I'll try it a little differently in case someone else has the same problem.

Starter 1113567 was used with flywheel 1436-100. Replaced by starter 1113555

Starter 1113568 was used with flywheel 436-100. Replaced by starter 1113560.

Starter 1113560 was replaced by 1113571. Delco eventually obsoleted that number.
You have an NOS 1113571 that is correct for your 1959 40 HP Scott.

Don
Attachments:

Re:Trying to find year/model of a Scott-McCulloch 40 7 years 2 months ago #129524

Just wanted to give a little update. I have the starter, seal kit and original spark plugs. Next on my shopping list is the impeller. I e-mailed the "flyingscott" guy when I found him over a month ago and he told me he had them for $38 shipped. Now, for some reason he won't respond to my e-mails. I was wondering if anyone possibly has the means to a catalog or something that has the part number for a 1959 40 hp Scott? I know it's a long shot. There's an ebay listing that has one but they are unsure of the year and only show the part number.

Thanks! Hope everyone had a good holidays.

Re:Trying to find year/model of a Scott-McCulloch 40 7 years 2 months ago #129551

The Scott part number for the 59 40 HP pump impeller is 136-5100. That was the original number. The part number could have changed over the years.
Discount Marine can usually update an old number to the last one used.

Don

Re:Trying to find year/model of a Scott-McCulloch 40 6 years 8 months ago #132648

Hello- Well guys, no good news to report. My mechanic has stopped answering my calls. I was told he was sort of an oddball (he was) but I could tell he really knew what he was talking about. I had someone refer me a guy in about 20 minutes away and he basically laughed at me and hung up when I said 1959 Scott. As much as I love the motor, I might have to head in a different direction.

My main goal is to get on the water this summer -- and if that means getting an older Mercury or Johnson, I'm fine with it. I have an extra SUP to sell which should net me about a grand. There are some very knowledgable people on here and I value the advice. If I went another direction -- a direction of a nice vintage motor, one that you can find parts for, what do I need to look for. There is a woman nearby that is selling off her husbands motors. As you can see from the picture, he had lots of restored beauties. She has 40 HP Mark 55Es and a few other electric start motors. If I go this route, do I need to get new controls etc? I have Scott Atwater control box/cables. Any advice of this move to another motor would be GREATLY appreciated.

-Josh
Attachments:

Re:Trying to find year/model of a Scott-McCulloch 40 6 years 2 months ago #135359

Another update.

Caught a real lucky break and saw a similar impeller on eBay and said -- if you ever see a part number 136-5100, please let me know.

Five minutes later he replied: I have one. Not only did he have one, I told him to make sure to check and he found another. Parts are coming together, now will need to find a knowledgeable mechanic.
Attachments:

Re:Trying to find year/model of a Scott-McCulloch 40 6 years 2 months ago #135360

Good to hear your going to resurrect the the 40 HP. Del and I are still around, fighting the snow and cold.
Give us a shout if you need help.
Some 40 and 60 HP parts interchange so we might have some used stuff if you run into trouble.
The following user(s) said Thank You: superboll

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)

noimage
03-17-2024

Thunderbird Apache 1956 hardtop
( / Boats)