Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: Chill factor

Chill factor 5 years 1 month ago #138714

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
How to dress when shoveling snow with a -45 deg chill factor.
Waterwings...wish you were here.:evil: :evil:

Going to the local bank after :laugh:
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Chill factor 5 years 1 month ago #138716

That's what they make snow blowers for!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Or better yet, that's what Florida is for! B)

Bob

Chill factor 5 years 1 month ago #138717

Hey Cal,
It looks like it is going to be a little cold up your direction for the next few days too. Here in LaCrosse they are talking -25 tonight with -50 to-60 wind chills. Tomorrow will be a high of -15 and back down to -31 tomorrow night plus wind chills. And being true to Wisconsin they are talking about 40 degrees ABOVE ZERO for the weekend. That is only about a 70 degree swing!!!
And remind me again why we all stay here?
Bill

Chill factor 5 years 1 month ago #138718

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
This BS wind chill factor (old enough to remember when came out, weather sensationalism gone amok ) is on exposed skin, so lets no go run around naked back there OK? When I left for the west coast in 94 summer, it was also -27 overnight, and -11 high day. So what? After zero hard to tell but don't worry, your heating bill will show yep, DAMN COLD!

Chill factor 5 years 1 month ago #138719

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hey Robbie, Bill. I think we can all remember when there was no such thing as "chill factor". You're right, it makes good press.
Back in the late 40's early 50's we never had the luxury of a garage for the old Willys car so my dad would throw an old blanket over the motor and put a light bulb under there. Before that he would use charcoal to warm up the oil then thin the oil out with kerosene and run alcohol in the radiator.
Off subject...does anyone remember when cable TV was first promoted as commercial free. You pay your monthly bill for seeing your programs without commercials. :woohoo:

Just to mention an announcement on the local news that beer trucks are not delivering today...that's a definition of cold.

Chill factor 5 years 1 month ago #138720

I can one up that. I still deliver liquor, and our company decided on Monday that we were going to close down today because of the cold. Not that our product would freeze, but the high likelihood of problems with the diesel trucks on the road made it a good decision. It is the first time in the 43 years that I have worked there that they closed down for the cold. I am not complaining, because if that Crown Royal truck quits running I sure as hell don't want to be walking or waiting for a tow truck!!

And you guys are right, once it gets past a certain point it really doesn't matter how cold it is.
Bill

Chill factor 5 years 1 month ago #138721

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Lots of people live in cold and even colder climates and usually don’t freak when news people go nuts dramatizing it. Sure it’s cold. It was cold in these places long before I was born. People figure out how to handle their respective climates and usually help new transplants figure out both hot and cold climates. Had a visitor last year Christmas from Indianapolis say he just couldn’t handle this -9 degree weather and was freezing. I told him it’s all relative and you figure it out and some acclimate and some don’t. I told him not to complain to my Mom of 83years as she lives further north and sees - 20 days and -35 or more nights. She snow blows her own quarter mile driveway ... she covers up as Robby says and doesn’t expose skin. She is toasty in her snowmobile suit. Another note... I think most Good Samaritan Wisconsinites would flock to help a stranded Crown Royal truck lol. I will post a picture with my camera phone turned upside down to see if it will post ok.
Attachments:

Dr.Go!

Chill factor 5 years 1 month ago #138722

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Also just came from the Dr. office and the place was packed with us older patients even at -29 degrees... amazing what you put up with weather wise when you fear not getting another appointment for a month or 2. The real Doctor told me no lifting for a total of 10 weeks, so 5 more weeks because the shoulder was pretty torn up and needs a little extra time to heal. Ok maybe I should invest in electric start for my 200 Merc V-6 to save the shoulder.

Dr.Go!

Chill factor 5 years 1 month ago #138723

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Time to have the admiral start lifting weights. That puts you into the middle of April? I'll be bringing the Tomahawk to Kosh (whenever that is) so it will be your turn to ride with me. Just follow the docs orders and don't rush it.

Chill factor 5 years 1 month ago #138726

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Early March before I can stay using any weight in rehab , so we may take you up on the ride at Kosh. Can believe how atrophy withers the muscles at my age when you isolate it for so long. Guess the project at hand is health before boats. Guess now I know what to do with a cold winter.

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat