Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Non Boat Related, Forum for topics not really having anything to do with boats.
  • Page:

TOPIC: "New" truck for towing boats

"New" truck for towing boats 7 years 8 months ago #124903

• Nautilus
  • Nautilus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I've never been one to buy new vehicles...can't handle the depreciation or the ridiculous payments with interest. So, in my search for a "new" truck that I could afford to buy cash, I ran across this baby. This should haul boats in style! Also, I managed to sell my old truck for exactly what I paid for it three years ago. That works for me. I already have four new 35x12.50R15 Goodrich All Terrain T/As ready to mount on Monday morning and I think I can sell those monster Super Swamper 38's that are on the truck now for close to what I had to pay for the new ones. If so, that would put me only about $700 out of pocket to switch trucks. Wheelin' and dealin' in Dixie!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re: "New" truck for towing boats 7 years 8 months ago #124922

Remind me to call you when I go truck shopping :) I had a Z-71 last decade and it was a great towing rig but the mileage wasn't too good. Tall tires and a lead foot. LOL.

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead !

Re:"New" truck for towing boats 7 years 4 months ago #129397

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I "Nautilized" the truck: new Pioneer stereo and speakers, headlights, tail lights, parking lights, wipers, bed rails, 35" Goodrich All Terrain TA's, retro turbine wheels, etc. My second childhood has been realized!
Attachments:

"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Re:"New" truck for towing boats 7 years 4 months ago #129408

VERY NICE.... i had bed rails on my old f-100. ron
Attachments:

Re:"New" truck for towing boats 7 years 4 months ago #129414

Lookin' good Jan! I always wanted a set of those wide-space turbines, those were my favorite!! Maybe nows the time, huh? And you can't go wrong with a Pioneer Supertuner, I've had many!

Re:"New" truck for towing boats 7 years 4 months ago #129418

Heck any full size AMERICAN pick up is great for haulin'. (no offense to anyone)
Love my 2005 F-150 4x4. It's dark blue has a "bubble" full cap (or canopy if your on the west coast).
5.4 a/c. Quite good power, really comfortable.
Looks like a classic grandpa truck. I am not what the fuzz is looking for. Cruise right by at 80 (in Michigan!) and never get a second look.
I am the same way. I pay cash for everything. I never buy cars or trucks new.
What a raw feeling you get losing 4K in depreciation the moment you drive off the dealers lot with a new car/truck. Heck the moment you turn the key!
Great buy! I love the wheeling and dealing you did. Great trucks those Chevy's. Hard to beat a sbc!
My old man always told me. "DO NOT WORK FOR YOUR VEHICLE: MAKE YOUR VEHICLE WORK FOR YOU!"

Stay calm. Move on.

Re:"New" truck for towing boats 7 years 4 months ago #129420

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I like your taste in how you set that up...nice looking tow rig! Though I have done mostly 25,000 highway miles a year on my T/A's (225 70 16's on a jeep Grand Cherokee), I have just hit the 100,000 mile mark and have enough tread that I feel comfortable driving them for one more Wisconsin winter. Again - light vehicle, 6- 8 hour drives at a time on smooth straight highways, so no real work or scrubbing on them and almost no city driving. I have never driven more that about 75,000 and then almost no tread left. I would love to tow my glassic with a nice looking truck like yours.

Dr.Go!

Re:"New" truck for towing boats 7 years 4 months ago #129422

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Scott:

I finally located and bought a set of 15 spoke turbines. I restored them exactly like the 10 spoke wheels. So, I had the 15's mounted and now the 10's are for sale if you were serious. I have drilled out the lug nut holes to precisely 3/4" so that they can accomodate the 14mm lug nuts used on modern Chevys. I'll sell the set with the lug nuts and washers for $450 plus shipping...which is a lot cheaper than the $800 I saw for a set on Ebay. I painted the divisions medium gray (Rustoleum with hardener) and I think they look a lot better than they did with flat black. (Sorry for the sales pitch but I know how hard these puppies are to to find...and they don't fit unless they've been drilled.)

"Success makes...

Re:"New" truck for towing boats 7 years 4 months ago #129423

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Scott:

I finally located and bought a set of 15 spoke turbines. I restored them exactly like the 10 spoke wheels. So, I had the 15's mounted and now the 10's are for sale if you were serious. I have drilled out the lug nut holes to precisely 3/4" so that they can accomodate the 14mm lug nuts used on modern Chevys. I'll sell the set with the lug nuts and washers for $450 plus shipping...which is a lot cheaper than the $800 I saw for a set on Ebay. I painted the divisions medium gray (Rustoleum with hardener) and I think they look a lot better than they did with flat black.

(Sorry for the sales pitch but it's possible you're serious about acquiring a set and I know how hard these puppies are to find. When you do, they always need to be restored and don't fit unless they've been drilled.)

Attachments:

"Success makes...

Re:"New" truck for towing boats 7 years 4 months ago #129425

That's a great offer for those wheels, buuuut I need 5 lug... Thanks anyway!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6786 guests and one member online