Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New member, new boat: '63 MFG Westfield Custom

New member, new boat: '63 MFG Westfield Custom 2 weeks 5 days ago #140518

I'm the newly appointed custodian of a 1963 Westfield Custom with Evinrude Lark V on Canandaigua Lake in upstate New York. It's in great shape having been lightly used and stored indoors its whole life. It came with the lakefront home my parents moved into in 1985. The previous owners built the house not long before the boat was built, so I'm thinking they bought the boat new, which makes me the third owner. It hadn't been wet since 2013 when my dad, sister, and her husband took it for a spin. Until today, I hadn't been in it since 2011. I had the pros give it the once over, and she's been declared fit as a fiddle. The horn works (lights not so much) and the motor runs like a top, pushing it along at a hair raising 24mph! :)

The canopy (bimini?) is shot (mice!), but it might be good enough to use as a pattern if I can find someone to make a new one. How hard is it to replace the worn white rub rail? Any advice for refastening the seats, because at least one set of bolts is stripped out. I'm sure my to-do list will grow longer as I look it over more closely.

This is actually the second MFG my dad left us. We also have a '57 Erie in Vermont, in much rougher shape.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

New member, new boat: '63 MFG Westfield Custom 2 weeks 4 days ago #140522

Wow, wonderful boat!

My Dad's first boat was a 1963 Westfield in red, just like yours - brings back the memories! He also had a 1960 Corry Carefree (aqua), 1966 Westfield (blue), and a 1965 Edinboro (green). Long story why so many.

Canvas must be custom made. I suggest getting one made with the top raised like a bimini, but still a convertible top that attaches to the top of the windshield. Just had one made for my 1962 Edinboro (red) and will post a picture in a day or two.

White rub rail is no longer available, but black is. I went with the black for my Edinboro restoration.

The seats use well nuts that are available from West Marine and other sources. Had to replace them on the Edinboro.

I've included pictures of the Edinboro plus my original and unrestored 1966 Niagara. The latter was at the Keuka Lake Antique and Classic Boat Show two weeks ago. The seat upholstery is original in both, as is yours in your Westfield.

I'm active in AOMCI (Membership Services person) and president of our local (North Coast Ohio) chapter of ACBS. You should join both to plug into sources for info. See aomci.org and acbs.org.

Welcome Aboard!
Attachments:

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

New member, new boat: '63 MFG Westfield Custom 2 weeks 4 days ago #140524

Thanks for the kind words and advice. That is truly a lot of MFGs for one guy. :)

I've just joined the two organizations you suggested. Any idea what light bulb will fit the stern light? I bought what looked about right at the auto parts store, but it won't push down far enough to twist & seat. The bow light is working--maybe I should pull that bulb, see if it's a fit for the stern, and then try to match it.
Nevermind, I found debris in the socket. Bulb fits now. Hopefully I’ll get better at this.

Thanks,
Dan

New member, new boat: '63 MFG Westfield Custom 2 weeks 3 days ago #140533

Just checked. My ‘62 has the same stern light.

It is a W90. #1142 should work also. West Marine and likely others have an LED equivalent for $17. Expensive. But no filament to break or burn out.

Update: I now see you got it fixed. Yay!

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

New member, new boat: '63 MFG Westfield Custom 5 days 12 hours ago #140698

Nice boat whizfish!
I will have to make my own introductory post with pics of mine, very similar to yours, a 1964 Westfield Deluxe in teal (as you can see in my avatar.)
I cheated though since I installed a recent motor on it, but I will elaborate on this in the post.
Cheers and enjoy the Westfield!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds

FG Login

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

1961 Shell Lake Rocket
( / Boats)

1961 Shell Lake Rocket
08-21-2019