Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 17 Ft MFG Gypsy

17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127091

I recently got a 17 Ft MFG Gypsy, trailer and Mercury 800 80 HP with Trim and tilt system for nothing the whole thing is in good shape but was left outside in the elements for nearly a year. I am going to clean it up and would like to get it in the water by next spring. The tilt and trim pump motor is burned out but I found a replacement motor kit....hopefully everything will come together nicely
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127107

Pix?

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127109

Here are a couple of pictures...
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127110

80 HP Mercury 800 THunderbolt
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127111

The interior floor is in great condition...I am redoing the seats the steering cable is getting replaced with new one along with the wheel...I have checked out the wiring system and re-run it and will be adding some 12 volt plugs for charging cells and laptops all told I expect it going to take about 900 to sort it out...I slapped a battery box on the system cranked the engine but did not fire it up..I am rebuilding the lift an tilt system....
The following user(s) said Thank You: MFG58

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127124

Pictures of rebuilt seats...the seat themselves were in excellent shape....but the base had rotted out..I rebuilt the base using cedar..and will cover it in carpet when I reassemble the interior....
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127125

IN in lounge position
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127126

Seat in bench position
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127154

Well got the wiring system done and will button it up...then it's re carpeting....not bad for free boat...
Attachments:

17 Ft MFG Gypsy 6 years 11 months ago #131405

Well its been a long winter. I put the boat up in the fall and will be finishing it up this spring, my two major remaining things to do are to put in a new steering cable and wheel and then rebuild the pump motor on the tilt an trim system. I found an after market fast replace and repair motor for the tilt and trim system and will install it after I get the steering cable in and the final small things done to the boat. I figure that once I get the parts on hand I will be able to finish i about a week.

17 Ft MFG Gypsy 6 years 10 months ago #131844

• Chip
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Looks great! I have a soft spot for these. Any side view pics? Is that a holsclaw trailer? Looks like a '1979 merc. Very nice.

17 Ft MFG Gypsy 6 years 10 months ago #131845

Yes it's that trailer and will be posting more pics in a few weeks when the spring rains let up and I can get back to work on it

17 Ft MFG Gypsy 6 years 6 months ago #133830

Well life intervened and my restoration of my boat got delayed. I am back on track. Ran into two issues. The lift and trim pump motor was bad. I found rebuild kit online and rebuilt it of less than two hundred dollars. The next issue was the steering cable and rear support for it by the motor. The old support bracket was threaded on the inside. The new steering cable connection requires the support to be threaded on the outside. A fast trip to a plumber and he threaded it on the outside for no charge. The work took five minutes to do with a pipe threader. I have attached pictures of the two items. The rebuilt-lift trim motor and steering cable attached to the support bracket. If I get the weather I will be putting all this together before the snow.
Attachments:

17 Ft MFG Gypsy 6 years 6 months ago #133832

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Excellent work and progress. I always learn something new every day.

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat