Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is this a G3 ?

Is this a G3 ? 5 years 10 months ago #136735

Found this on CL. The seller literally knows nothing. It is obviously a Glasspar, but Im not sure if its a G3, can anyone help me ID this thing please ? He was told the engine ran when it was parked last. Doesnt look like its on the transom to me. BUT.... for $300 it might be a good deal, especially if its a G3. The engine looks like a 80's merc possibly a 150, but that seems big for a small rig like this. Thanks fellas !
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Is this a G3 ? 5 years 10 months ago #136740

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
Most Definitely a latter-day G3. So is that $300 for the boat, motor, trailer package? You can hardly go wrong at that price!

That's a nice windshield, too. The one I had was missing its windshield and I ended up cutting a chunk of smoked plexiglass to fit the curvature of the hull. No sides but it was better than no windshield. That boat had a messed-up bottom and would porpoise no matter what I did. Check the bottom out for a hook or rocker.

On the Merc, if the cowling is original, it's likely a 60hp 3-cylinder, vintage 1984. Which should be able to push the G3 along nicely, and fairly economical, too.

If you do get the rig and the engine runs, be sure to install a new water pump kit. The cooling on these is somewhat marginal and is OK with a good impeller, but if the impeller is old at all you're risking burning up the powerhead.

Good luck with the purchase and let us know what you find..........ed

Is this a G3 ? 5 years 10 months ago #136742

What you have there is a G3, by Larson after they purchased Glasspar.
Not the original G3 by Glasspar by any means.
Those are "59 thru "67?? (a guess as to whether '66 or '67)
I have attaches a few picture of my wildly over-powered '66 G3
In respects to the (2) Glasspar G3 models from "59 thru '67?? the best horsepower suggestions, IMHO, would be the Mercury 800 or 850 4 cylinder Merc, or the OMC 70, 75, or??? 3 cylinder 2 stroke OMC. (OMC is Johnson or Eviinude)
doc

Attachments:

Is this a G3 ? 5 years 10 months ago #136743

Thanks Ed ! Yes its 300 for the whole rig. I appreciate the solid advice as always.

Is this a G3 ? 5 years 10 months ago #136744

Thanks Doc ! I was hoping youd chime in on this. I was having a pretty good chuckle earlier today looking at one of your older posts ...you had the boat near vertical "you dont need a wake with enough horsepower" Awesome!!

Is this a G3 ? 5 years 9 months ago #136778

I agree with the doc about the 850 merc. I ran my 59 G3 { ecofiber F100} with a Mark 78, a 650xs, a Merc 800 and finally the best performing 850 xs. Top speed of 54 mph and very smooth ride.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.398 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7001 guests and one member online