• Page:

TOPIC: 1960 Merc 400EL restore issues

1960 Merc 400EL restore issues 6 years 3 months ago #135476

• 59Hustler
  • 59Hustler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
this Merc came on my 1959 redfish, it has various issues.
1. Engine will not move side to side(turn on shaft) (currently soaking pivot shaft with WD 40)
2 Throttle frozen (soaking carb throttle blades and all linkages)
3 engine turns over when you turn the prop so it is not frozen but starter is inop. recoil starter needs to be rewound.
any ideas on what else to do.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1960 Merc 400EL restore issues 6 years 2 months ago #135485

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Put more wd 40 on center pivot still not turning, hit steering bracket with 2 lb sledge still nothing. Any Ideas? I am going to get some pb blaster and liquid wrench today.
I also removed the top cover and repaired the recoil start, worked for 3 pulls. I got 130 lbs of compression on no 2 cylinder and 60 on no 3 when the rope broke (only half a pull). Starter motor is locked up.
Throttle linkage is still locked up it seems to be at the magneto. Any ideas? I GREASED the zerk fittings on the magneto. The top one would not let any grease in, so I will buy a new zerk this afternoon.

1960 Merc 400EL restore issues 6 years 2 months ago #135486

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Put more wd 40 on center pivot still not turning, hit steering bracket with 2 lb sledge still nothing. Any Ideas? I am going to get some PB blaster and liquid wrench today.
I also removed the top cover and repaired the recoil start, worked for 3 pulls. I got 130 lbs of compression on no 2 cylinder and 60 on no 3 when the rope broke (only half a pull). Starter motor is locked up.
Throttle linkage is still locked up it seems to be at the magneto. Any ideas? I GREASED the zerk fittings on the magneto. The top one would not let any grease in, so I will buy a new zerk this afternoon.

1960 Merc 400EL restore issues 6 years 2 months ago #135487

you will need some good heat propane wont do it. throttle linkage remove the mag and adapter and did assemble it clean and grease.repair the starter. and recheck the compression. just for starters

1960 Merc 400EL restore issues 6 years 2 months ago #135490

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Dave, thanks for the reply.
Do I put the heat at the top joint? Do you think that map with oxygen will be hot enough? If not I will see if my neighbor has an oxy/acetylene torch.

1960 Merc 400EL restore issues 6 years 2 months ago #135491

use oxy on the swivel bracket use gr3ase gun and try to get grease coming out the top. first try to move the motor at times then go to the bottom last 1 914 310 7086 if you need help. the mag drive use propane O/A is not needed there.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6327 guests and no members online