Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1947 Mercury KD4

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 4 months ago #135064

Got the motor yesterday from Idaho area - I am assuming that spend his life on Coeur d'Alene lake. Cylinders are not frozen!! Motor is complete! few observations so far:

- the weight without gas is 50 lbs
- red stripes are stickers (!!) I was expecting to be paint

Questions:
- can I use degreaser to spray and wash the dirt/oil stains away ?
- is the line an indications where the motor should be submerged to ?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 4 months ago #135066

stickers are original. the stripe on the leg has nothing to do with the should be. tha cavitation plate should be about even with the bottom of the boat or lower. yes on the degreaser BUT keep away from the decals. the color if you repaint is DULL ALUMINUM. and a decal set. all easy to get.

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 4 months ago #135070

thank you for chiming in Dave........I will measure where the cavitation plate will be on the boat I have for this motor
I see some parts on oldmerc.com but I don't see decals. The one on my motor are very old and crumbling, there are some remnants on the top of the gas tank also, so I will need a set .
Just pondering what to do to try to bring it to working condition......?
- cleaning carburetor
- new spark plugs
- check if coils are producing spark !!
Oldmerc has a $75 Service Manual that I think I should be getting......can't find anything like that on E-bay.......wander if any of the forum members have one collecting dust in the garage......so that's my thoughts for today.....off to work

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 4 months ago #135071

try JohnsMcintosh.comfor the decals

also Dixie Hammock does decals.
go to johnsoldmerc.com and ask.

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 4 months ago #135075

remnants of an old decal......
Attachments:

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135092

started cleaning the motor , learning about it as I was going. Scrapped first idea about spraying it with a degreaser and hosing it off. Yes, most likely would have been much faster, but since there is no manuals for it ( apparently there are 2 pages on KD4 in 1960 and older manual ) I like take it apart as I am cleaning it - gives me better understanding of how motor and motor it's components.
Here are few pieces that I washed with a dish soap on a steel wool pad, I think that' all I am going to do . So far not planning on painting it.
Next check for spark and cylinders pressure....

Cylinders are wet with oil - I think they were taken care of....
Attachments:

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135171

Checked for a spark on both cylinders - didn't see any. I think big part of it was that there was no solid connection ....
Cylinder pressure was:
- upper 123 lbs
- lower 117 lbs

Dr.Frankenmerc said that cylinder pressure if good enough to continue to the next step in bringing the motor back to life - great news!
.......also the sliced exhaust manifold turned out to be a factory feature....so it's all good
Attachments:

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135172

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
Very cool, that's the exhaust relief for when the engine is not moving in the water. Once underway, there is less restriction since the exhaust is being scavenged out of the L/U by venturi action (the motion of the water passing the exhaust).

If the coils are not ravaged, you may get by with simply cleaning and regapping the points. Note the points will need to be removed and then the contacts cleaned, and finally polished with Crocus Cloth.

Have Fun!..........ed

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135215

few more days of my work week - ogh!
Next step is to dump varnish out of tank and clean tank and carburetor - carburetor gaskets etc are coming.
Was looking for a carburator cleaner - not in a spray can - for cleaning the gas tank, but there was nothing in the auto parts store. Got 3 spray cans and will use that.........
Good info about coils and points Ed - maybe they are still good !?!

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135217

acetone works great but $$$$$

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135218

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

dave bernard wrote: acetone works great but $$$$$

Home Depot has it by the gallon, $17.27:

www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-gal-Acetone-GAC18/100141096

Or a quart for $7..48.

Lowes also carries the gallon size for the same price.

Just be sure to use protective gloves when dealing with any solvent. Use only in an area with good ventilation and if you have a water heater, electric dryer, heaters or gas appliances, be sure they're turned off (including pilot light) or major flamage could occur!

Have Fun!..........ed
The following user(s) said Thank You: 2dogsnight

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135237

I will get some acetone in next few days.....Thank you Ed!
.....last work day this week - should be home shortly after midnight.

Happy New Year !!

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135238

just add the acetone and let it sit a few days and pour it out.

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135248

Thank you Dave, I was wandering how to use the acetone to clean the tank1
Mounted the motor on the boat - as I was wandering if the transom is not too long for it. Took some pictures and wander what you guys think.......real test will be with the boat in the water....

Attachments:

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135254

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Wojo, the transom height is just fine. There is plenty of prop in clean water below the transom. I dunno if the 6hp would even plane your hull, but if it does, it would be OK. I can't tell from the pics but I'd expect there are a series of holes or something similar in the gearcase for water intake, since the pump is in the aft end of the gearcase.

Looks good on the boat, have a Happy New Year!

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135255

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I found a better pic which shows a hole in the bearing carrier/pump housing. Looks like the sweep of the prop helps feed water to the inlet of the pump. See what you think about that.
Attachments:

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135256

been awhile but I think that hole is a Philips screw that holds the gear case together.

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135257

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

dave bernard wrote: been awhile but I think that hole is a Philips screw that holds the gear case together.

Dave, that seems likely. Guess we need some better pics!

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135259

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The Doc just sent me a Happy New Years picture, enjoy!

(slotted area is the water intake)
Attachments:

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135270

Dave you are right - it's a screw in there....at first I was thinking that it was a water intake also :)
Ed, thank you for the picture, I will be cleaning the motor today and can't wait to check that future out - seeing the picture make me realize that the motor is fine sitting on the transom the way it does.
Not sure if the 6hp is enough to get the boat on the plane - but we hopefully I will find out this summer B)

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135283

today I was cleaning the motor and at some point started spraying it with a carburetor cleaner..........not a good idea, the paint started coming off - sprayed with water and washed off with soap - hopefully cleaner didn't get where not supped to go.
Took off the gas tank and will be cleaning it inside with acetone tomorrow.

Attachments:

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135286

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Any paint that comes off with carb cleaner is probably not original anyway. Your motor could be easily stripped of old non-OE paint, a bit of touch-up sanding and prime with Zinc Phosphate (Zinc Chromate is better but harder to get nowadays); then sprayed with "dull aluminum" paint which is the old-time finish and replicates raw cast aluminum.

West Marine carries Moeller Paints Zinc Phosphate primer which is quite expensive to order online, with high shipping charges because of being "hazardous" material. It's just paint!

www.westmarine.com/buy/moeller--zinc-phosphate-primer-spray-green--17450453

Plasti-Kote's brand of dull aluminum spray paint is what's sold by the Oldmercs.com site. You'll probably find that a lot cheaper at Wal-Mart or other stores carrying the Plasti-Kote line. I'd expect Duplicolor has something similar.

Amazon has a good price on the Plasti-Kote with free shipping if you have Prime:

www.amazon.com/PlastiKote-T-41-Aluminum-Lacquer-Paint/dp/B000CPAA4E/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1514945176&sr=8-3&keywords=dull+aluminum+spray+paint

Amazon also still sells a variety of zinc primers, if you can't find a local source:

www.amazon.com/MOELLER-MFG-COMPANY-INC-CHROMATE/dp/B000N8LR24/ref=sr_1_cc_1?s=aps&ie=UTF8&qid=1514946056&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=zinc+chromate+primer

www.amazon.com/So-Sure-Chromate-Metal-Primer-0084348/dp/B00FSE6PJ8/ref=pd_sbs_200_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00FSE6PJ8&pd_rd_r=41TEWQ7C1NG96AJG4MR1&pd_rd_w=fuSOh&pd_rd_wg=xnYJJ&psc=1&refRID=41TEWQ7C1NG96AJG4MR1

www.amazon.com/Moeller-Phosphate-Primer-Yellow-025801/dp/B001PRYTOK/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1514945390&sr=1-1&keywords=zinc+chromate+primer

Anyway, don't worry too much about the finish, as the "dull aluminum" color is the easiest to replicate and it'll look really nice when it's done. Get 'er checked-out and running 1st and do the cosmetics later.

Cheers........ed

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135290

Thank you Ed - I can go to work feeling better about this paint situation.
Went down to the beach yesterday to asses the winter storm damage to the cliff - looks very sad!
Have been working on bulkead permit for last 8-10 months - very expensive proposition.
The temporary platform was standing 2-3 feet from the land - in last week the distance grew to more like 8 feet......and we have still many months of rain to go.
This is summer of 2017 picture...

and here - today

Attachments:

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135292

Good old government RED TAPE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135354

tomorrow getting serious with the gas tank and the carburetor cleaning.
.................got carburetor kit....looks like lots of gaskets!

Attachments:

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135363

Sooooo.......took the fuel petcock out and there is no fuel filter on it - maybe petcock was replaced...?...don't know. Cleaned the petcock and is now operational.
Poured out the acetone that was sitting there for 3 days , and need to do some more cleaning because tank inside is still dirty. Noticed that the tank leaks - see the picture. This side of the tank was dirty - most likely from gas leaking out.

Took carburetor apart. The float in it is made out of cork and kept in place with two wire clips - there are grooves in the needle to keep them in place..... the cork looks good and I am wandering if I need to repace it with a new plastic float...?.....would that change the level of gas in carburator ...??
Washed the dirt off the carburator and tomorrow will set it in acetone for few days to clean small passages etc.
The gasket set for the carburator is most likelly a general set for many different carburetors that oldmercs is selling.
Well, so far so good.......discovered that both our phones don't do sharp closeup pictures anymore - had new batteries installed few days ago, and this is a result - trying to check settings ...no luck so far

Attachments:

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135378

Carburetor is more or less clean, turned out that I am going use only 2 gaskets from the kit........

Went back to the place that installed new battery in my phone. When asked about the blurry close up pictures they say that sometimes during battery install the camera will shift a little and take blurry pictures....they fix the problem at no charge - just 2 hours wait :S
Talked to a friend that owns a car repair shop .......he uses a NAPA carburetor cleaning "kit" - a can of carburetor cleaner with a wire basket that goes inside of the can - $28- ...he also recommended to take the gas tank to radiator shop that he uses - I will give them a call.
Flying next Monday to Alaska for few days to see my daughter and 4 grandkids :woohoo:

Was working on my kayak and had some epoxy left so I tried to patch up the leaking gas tank...

Can't stop myself from posting a little addition to my kayak - a towing post / lifting post

Attachments:

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135392

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
On the carb, recommend coating the cork float with model airplane fuel-proof dope. This will make the float somewhat ethanol-resistant.

On the tank, if you have a rad shop clean and repair it, be sure they don't hot-tank it. I'm assuming that tank is aluminum and the caustics in the hot-tank solution will eat away the aluminum.

Interesting tank, it's got quite a seam. Is it 2-part? Don't know how these were built.

BTW one good trick for getting crud off the tank innards is to throw a handful of 1/4-20 nuts (or whatever size you have handy) in the tank and shake, shake, shake! Does a pretty good job of loosening things up.

Have a good trip to Alaska. What part? My Uncle lives in Nikiski on the Kenai Peninsula, on 20 acres. Years ago my Mom and Stepdad bought the 10 acres next to his place and in '99 built a log cabin. Was up there last summer helping frame-up a garage with my Brother and we're going back up in June to finish that job and hopefully catch some salmon!

Cheers...........ed

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135393

Yes they are aluminum and 2 piece. they can be taken apart and cleaned they have a gasket in them just screws to take apart.

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135394

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

dave bernard wrote: Yes they are aluminum and 2 piece. they can be taken apart and cleaned they have a gasket in them just screws to take apart.

Hey, that's cool. Sounds like it wouldn't be that much trouble to pull 'er apart, go scrub-a-dub-dub on the tank's innards, cut a new gasket, and slap it back together with some Permatex #3 gasket dressing (or a more advanced sealer).

Kill 2 stones with one bird, fix the leak and clean tank.

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135395

I have done them you might check for worpage on the 2 halves. if it still leaks use tank sealer from bike shop.

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135424

dave bernard wrote: I have done them you might check for worpage on the 2 halves. if it still leaks use tank sealer from bike shop.

is it hard to pull them apart?

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135425

Ed,
we have our daughter family living in Anchorage....4 grandkids, so we went to collect some hugs and kisses :)
Two days one night is about the perfect visit - long enough to do the collection and short enough not to interrupt their family life too much.
Flight is only 2.5 to 3hrs one way - Alaska Airlines is great.

There will be no ethanol in this motor ! Not worth it. Good gas only - had so much problem in my generator with it, eventually had to get new carburetor.

thank you everyone for input!

Wojo

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 3 months ago #135439

Dave,

went to O'raileys before work yesterday and got the gaskets. Taking the tank apart today.....we shall see how it goes.

Attachments:

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 2 months ago #135472

working on few things today......
trying to pull the tank apart - it's not parting so far......inserted longer bolt and tapping gently on it and all around the seams - any tricks of the trade to offer Dave ???

the fuel filter has 2-56 tread ( thank you for that info Joe ) - need to buy a 2-56 tap and tap the hole in the fuel petcock to install the filer - seems that there is no thread in this hole - although the diameter is right for the tread size.

Since there was nothing else I could do today, I have started look into the water pump impeller - this is how far I have got in this project - here removing the pin - but the plate is not coming off !!??

Attachments:

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 2 months ago #135479

Soaking the impeller plate in rust loosening solution.......

Petcock turned out to have treads already but I need to get a tap and clean the treads - I hope I didn't ruin thread on the filter already.......
Attachments:

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 2 months ago #135483

put the propshaft in a vise and pull it out with gear and shims as an assembly DON'T lose the shims.

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 2 months ago #135488

in desperation I have e-mailed Dave about the tank.....he suggested to use a thin bladed scraper. Started working the scraper in between tank halves......

it was going in in some spots and in some not........then had a EURECA moment.....what if the 4 bolts are not just only to mount the tank to the motor, but also to tighten the halves together...???!!!

.....just love to make simple tasks very difficult ...:whistle:

Thank you Dave!
I will try the impeller assembly removal in few days.
Attachments:

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 2 months ago #135489

I see the leak is lack of gasket you can make them . make 2 1 inner and 1 outer then glue them in place before assembly. use good sealer gas proof when you put it together. make them larger then trim after it is together and dried.

1947 Mercury KD4 6 years 2 months ago #135500

OK, more progress:

Dirty tank......using fine metal wool pad with dish detergent - will have a gas with detergent :)

Clean tank...

water impeller plate movement in housing, but the pin is limiting it's movement.......and I think that's what it supposed to do - not sure how to remove it if that's the way to go.......

Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.368 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7144 guests and one member online