Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: mark 35a driveshaft seal

mark 35a driveshaft seal 6 years 7 months ago #133813

Hi, occasional visitor and new member. Have a mark 35a on a 14' McCulloch sport that needs at least the drive shaft seal and probably shift shaft seal replaced. I am familiar with the lower unit having made a water pick up tube for it as well as making a pump cover removal tool and changing the impeller. Have searched on line for info and found a little. Know that the pump cartridge needs to be pulled as the seal is in the bottom of it? Also an o ring under. Know there is a special tool for doing this(have seen pic on line for sale) but unsure how it works 100%. Bottom line question is ..is it possible to pull the cartridge with makeshift tools and can it be done without completely disassembling prop shaft / gears and removing driveshaft ? Hopefully if I get this fixed the prop seal will be ok but that looks like an easier fix at least.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

mark 35a driveshaft seal 6 years 7 months ago #133821

Hello,
Unfortunately, most water pump cartridges have never been removed since the outboard was manufactured, and most then report that even with the removal tool that they cannot be removed, and full disassembly is then needed to allow for the ball bearing just below the cartridge to force it out. This often is the best approach, as the ball bearing (only 59 years old) often should be replaced, and a thorough inspection of the shafts and gears can also be performed. Do be very careful with the water pump cartridge casting because they are becoming a challenge to purchase a used replacement for.

A Happy Labor Day Holiday To All,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8345 guests and one member online