Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1959 Herters rebuild

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #41083

Yeah, know how that goes all to well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #41114

• dt750
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Here's a tip for all who's reading, if you use a sand blaster, on a boxed frame like a trailer, put screw/bolts in any holes, other wise sand will get in and hold moister, rusting your trailer from the inside out.

Hey Cal, could you do us a favor and slow down? Your making the resst of us look bad....lol Keep up the good work. There is just something about bringing an old classic back to life that gives ya that warm fuzzy feeling.

I guess that's one nice thing about being gimped up, my wife can't ask me to do that stuff..lol

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 8 months ago #41127

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Gimped up?? I'm 66 with joints of a 99 year old. If I slowed down I would never get going again. I have to cool it for awhile anyway and get things done around the home. Few more days before I finish repainting my deck and then she wants me to paint the wroght iron outdoor furniture then high pressure the rest of the sideing and on and on. It's her way of saying enough of the boat already. I still plan on sneaking in a trailer part or two.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41202

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I was able to sneak in a few grinds on the trailer this evening, almost time to remove the springs and axle so I can flip the frame and do the bottom. I think I would rather do three boats than one trailer, not my favorite pastime.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41231

• dt750
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
My spine is detoriating at an alarming rate. 2 surgeries and 2 more disc starting to go. the last time in the er was because of siezures. oh well, it is what it is.

I remeber when I was redoing my cj, the wife would start dropping suttle hints about spending to much time on it and not getting the honey do list done..must be a common occurance..Funny, now I can't do most of that stuff, I miss it....still rather work on the boat...lol

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41251

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
You nailed it. Suttle hints, right on. Sorry to hear about the spine. Dirty shame life gets cruel after you spend a lifetime working, raising a family. Keep the faith, throw a backyard BBQ and get your kids back to work on the boat.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41259

Figure it out, we work when we are old and should retire when we are young so we can enjoy it.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41321

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Did some more grinding and wire wheeling on the trailer this evening. Disconnected the drivetrain. The bolts on the leaf springs are almost rusted out. Have to dissasemble the leaf springs to clean them up and then replace all the bolts with grade 8's. The other bolts on the trailer were all galvanized and are in really good condition considering how rusty the rest of the trailer was.

With the drivetrain still on.

Drivetrain off.

Ready for primer. and then to the springs/axle.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41334

Looking good Cal. Keep it up.

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41368

When you said you found a Dorsett cheap and was scrapping it I got a serious chill. I have been looking for a San Juan or Catalina for a while and I couldn't figure out how I missed one in Wisconsin. I did a little searching and found the one you picked up. Now I can go back to my search without having to cry. The project is looking good.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41371

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I watched that boat for a week and there were hardly any views on it, don't know how it got away but it needed work. There is a Dorsett Calypso up for sale now but it looks pretty bad also. The Chrysler outboard is a runner though.
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/14-Dorsett-Calypso-Chrylser-Outboard-Motor-T154310-/370535078576?pt=Power_Motorboats&hash=item56459c9ab0

I plan on going down to the Lake Geneva Mecum auction next month to see what's on the plate. Just want to see what condition a boat has to be in to get the big bucks, besides a friend of mine has a woodie that's going on that block. (Delta)
Cal

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41469

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
A few more hours on the trailer today, got the underside primed and the solid axle separated from the springs and the hubs and wheels off. The lug nuts are rusted so bad I'm soaking them in kerosene for a few days. Need to get this bad boy back together so I can get the hull painted and placed on the bunks. Maybe squirt the Imron on the bottom this weekend if the weather permits since THE football game is a Friday nighter. Next week the grandson starts his high school ball so that'll take my Fridays away.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41476

There ya go Cal, keep those priorities straight bud.

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41690

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Took the day off yesterday to straighten my priorities, also watch some football.
Today was productive. Worked on the trailer for the Herters, got the frame in primer, dissasembled and reassembled the springs and shackles, got them allcleaned and painted, pulled the hubs apart and cleaned the bearings, regreased, put in new seals and cotter pins on the castle nuts. Got the wheels in primer also. Whew!
Da Frame in primer.
Springs and shackles.
Cleaned up hubs and primed wheels. [img] Assembled (loosley) [img]http://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/100_0165.JPG

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41723

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Whew! is right, Cal! That day off must have done you some good, that's quite a list for one day. I'm envious, but I keep chuggin' along at my "snail's pace". :laugh:

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41750

nice work cal,i wish i was getting something done.
tomorrow my nephew is supposed to come here to work on the boat i gave him,we are going to replace the stringers.
keep at it cal,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41763

Look'in good.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41803

Looks GREAT Cal. Nice work there you coming along very nicely.

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41809

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks guys for the encouragement. It does get to be a little much after awhile. I finished cleaning and priming the rest of the hardware for the trailer, roller brackets, bunk holders, et at. Also figured out a way to paint the trailer frame all at one time in one day. I put it on a swivel...put two long 5/8" threaded rods on each end of the frame and rest them on the old horses. Only problem now is hoping the old horses don't break down while I paint.

Hardware primed and drying.

Frame set up on homeade swivels.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41835

• MarkS
Cool idea on the trailer "rotisserie" Cal, I like it! It's always such a pain doing one side then having to wait on it to dry completely before starting on the other side.

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41867

Very nice, I'll have to keep that in mind for when I do mine. That's why I love these forums, learn something new every day!

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41871

Hey, young fella, why don't you take a break and come down here and help me finish my Seafair? At your work level, we could have it done in a weekend!63 Sabre wrote:

Thanks guys for the encouragement. It does get to be a little much after awhile. I finished cleaning and priming the rest of the hardware for the trailer, roller brackets, bunk holders, et at. Also figured out a way to paint the trailer frame all at one time in one day. I put it on a swivel...put two long 5/8" threaded rods on each end of the frame and rest them on the old horses. Only problem now is hoping the old horses don't break down while I paint.

Hardware primed and drying.

Frame set up on homeade swivels.

Blest boater

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41880

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
How far is "down here"? How old do I have to be before I'm not a young fella anymore? I would probably be farther along if it wasn't for the honey do list.
I'm 66, wired together kneescaps,three hernia screens, two stents, bad hearing and on and on. Life is too short to sit down unless it's with the grandkids. :laugh:
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41890

holy crap!! your kiddin right....

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41931

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
No kiddin' I think it's the beer that keeps me going.
Just painted the mainframe today (little computer lingo). Sure makes it easier and faster with the rotisserie. Maybe Tuesday evening I can get the suspension and axle back on. makes me nervous on those shaky horses.

I have to print out all my trailer pictures, the ones I took before I took the thing apart. Can't remember where half the stuff goes. That ever happen to you guys??

I'm gettin' anxious to return to the flying fish and fit her to the trailer.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41964

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nice Job Cal ! I thought I was going fast on my Tee Nee trailer - should have thought of the Roto frame ?? That's pretty amazing and your shop is so clean and organized !! You are an inspiration :)and yes I have to go back to old pictures to figure out where everything fits and how it goes back together
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41967

• MarkS

That's why I love these forums, learn something new every day!

So true Bob, so true! My dad taught me that a day when you didn't learn something, was a wasted day in your life. I try not to waste any.

re: digital cameras - It really makes me appreciate the folks that did this stuff before they were invented (or at least became available to the public). I'd never get anything put back together (right) without one

BOTH trailers lookin' great, IMO. ;)

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #41995

i know what you mean about forgetting ,when i used to paint flames on vehicles,i bought a polaroid instant camera so i could see what the other side looked like as i painted the oppesite side,plus every time i took something apart i took pics so i got it back together right,thank goodness for digital cameras and printers.john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42009

Your TeeNee hasd a lot in common with mine bham-rick.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42015

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Robert, with the exception of the rear most cross member location,which is adjustable,and bunks Rick and yours are identical. Rick does outstanding work. Check out his Falls Flyer thread over at Northwest Classic Boat Club that will reside on this trailer when done.

www.classicboatclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1688

Melanie

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42058

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Robert, after seeing your frame picture I realized I had one like that two years ago under a 14' Mirro. The fenders were missing and she was pretty well rusted up but I remember the coil springs and the shocks. The shocks were shot. I wound up putting a long bolt through the coils and frame because they would slide around in the little holder. Sold the boat, 18 Evenrude, and trailer for a good profit.
The Gator I'm working on now has leaf springs and I hope they're not too stiff for the Herters. Might wind up taking a leaf out, there was a heavy Dorsett on it before.
No pictures today, just didn't have the camera handy and had to shut down operations cuz we had a tornado warning but I did manage to get the roller and bunk hardware loosely on the frame, put the springs and axles on and started painting half of the tongue. Can't get that on the rotisserie. That Gator has to be one of the strongest pieces of iron I've seen in the 30 years I've been tinkering with boats. 2" schedule 40 pipe for cross members, welded. All attatchments are completely welded, no spot welding on the entire thing. Had to grind down the welding on the tongue post cover so I could wire wheel the rust off. Five bolt hubs.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42069

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
That rotisserie just cracks me up- I want to do another trailer just so I can build one and use it ! Trailer's looking great.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42316

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
No time for the trailer yesterday, too busy making a living. Today I got 95% finished, all the hardware back on, rollers in place but not lined up (will do that when I set the hull on), tongue is back on. Only things left are the bunks and the winch stand but those will also be when I gently set the boat hull on it with the help of neighbors, family and Bud Light. Big change had to be made........ C-O-L-O-R! I thought the yellow would be good but after staring(?) at if for a few days it really shouted YUK! Thing is when I took the frame down to bare metal it wasn't smooth like one would really like because of the rust and I was not going to high build and sand the whole thing. The previous pictures showed it first in white metal primer and then I put on a coat of yellow oil enam. Those two coats helped the appearance somewhat but it just didn't do the trick. Since the frame had a pock marked finish I picked up a few cans of Krylon Fusion hammered metal, tried it on a few spots and it turned out perfect. The hammered metal finish worked hand in hand with the finish of the frame. Now I have to let the complete trailer sit for a week or so to harden up. In the meantime it's back to the hull, get that all set up for the final finish.
Still up in the air about the final color for the topside.

Different color.

Those cool looking Gator fiberglass finned fenders will be painted to match the boat whenever I decide on color.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42321

Sweet, I like it in Black actually and fenders in another color would look cool I think.

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42344

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It's sort of a gunmetal gray, hard to see in the pictures.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42346

Sorry, didn't realize, statement still stands. ;)

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42360

its looking great,you should consider useing a color from the boat so it matches the trailer for the fenders,just a thought,john,by the way did i tell ya i like pictures,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42420

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hey John I got another picture, worth a thousand words so I won't take so long to write. While the trailer sits and hardens up I did the final spot checks on the hull this evening and put on another coat of primer, love that stuff. The guy at the paint shop that sold me the Imron for the bottom said I would only need 1 qt for the hull, should stretch out after the reducer and hardner are added. Sounds like not enough to me, what's your experiance. The Imron is a pure white and it will be going over the yellow high build. I personally don't think it's enough. I opened up the Imron can today and it seems like there's only about 3/4 qt. If I add the reducer it will probably be a full qt and then the hardner. Takes about a qt and a half of primer to shoot the hull. With a white bottom I leave myself wide open for the topside color, and fenders. Just for drill I put a dab of Imron on a board and added a dab of oil based enam, mixed em up and it set up hard and glossy. They do mix. I just might pick up another pint of the white. Been a long time since I've squirted the stuff. One of the posts on the forum mentioned using an industrial single stage paint. I'm wondering what would be harder, industrial enam with a hardner or an auto acrylic enam. opins?????

Final spot fill and prime.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42436

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
If you are using a HVLP spray gun a quart should suffice. If the color is an off the shelf stock color,no mixing required, perhaps you could pick up another pint/quart with an agreement with your supplier to return it if not needed and unopened. Nothing like running out of paint and the store closed 5 minutes ago.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 7 months ago #42618

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I do have the HVLP gun, going to chance it this week, buy an extra pint and not open it.
Saturday was quality time with grandkids. Today I worked on the Gator fenders somewhat. The anadized aluminum grills that are on the front of the fenders are in bad shape, corroded and bent. I straightened them as much as possible by hammering and rolling. They will never be original again but I think I can make them look pretty good. There is some broken glass on the bottom of one of the fenders but that is easily repairable.

The aluminum grills and the busted out back.

Thought I was done with the glass, forgot the dang fender. Won't be as itchy as the two boat halves.

Time to create page: 2.151 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 20187 guests and no members online