Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1959 Herters rebuild

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 2 months ago #55142

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Got the lights on ebay. Tiny little things only about 2" long and maybe just over an inch wide but bright as all get out.
Here's the link. If you go to the sellers strore he has all sorts of led lighting including trailer lights, interior lights, nav lights etal. They are waterproof.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 2 months ago #55177

Yup Sabre, I decided to go with the LED's when I stripped my fixtures for paint stripping. I looked up the "658" bulb and it produced 25 lumens. Plus it has not been made in years. I found a place that sells 'drop in' replacements. They fit the old bases, but are LED www.marinebeam.com

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 2 months ago #55178

Yup Sabre, I decided to go with the LED's when I stripped my fixtures for paint stripping. I looked up the "658" bulb and it produced 25 lumens. Plus it has not been made in years. I found a place that sells 'drop in' replacements. They fit the old bases, but are LED www.marinebeam.com

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 2 months ago #55193

Thanks guys. I'm checking with marinebeam.com. I will start a thread on it when and if I do the conversion.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 2 months ago #55231

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Mailed Wevco rubber today to get info on the gasket(?) I need for under the windshield, no answer yet.
Put the finishing touches on the Mark 58, it's ready for water now, just need to let the ice clear out and....oh yah, need a boat.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 2 months ago #55232

Ya might get lots of offers for loaner transoms in quite a few places that have open water year round, that have a would love a nice shiny reworked 58..... I'm just saying.......

Looks great! Good luck on the windshield gasket.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 2 months ago #55247

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Looks Great!

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 2 months ago #55729

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Past week have been slow. Polished up some more aluminum trim pieces, only four more to go but they are the BIG ones.
You can see a before and after difference.

Put the finishing touches on the motor, It is DONE. Filled the lower unit with corn head grease yesterday.

Was in touch with Wevco rubber this week, they could not guarntee a bottom gasket for my windshield that would fit but have something "close", not good enough besides they wanted $4 a foot and $20 for shipping, pretty steep for something that "might" work.
I ordered 8 feet of bottom gasket from A&A marine in Manistee across the pond from me. The gasket is the same that is on my Century so I know I can make it work. I've worked with them before when I rebuilt my woodie.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 2 months ago #55774

Excellent, she's coming along nicely!!!

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 2 months ago #55780

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thank yew Bob. Got 4" of snow today, first of the season so it was a good day in the workshop after shoveling. Polished up the two tail fin ends and started on one of the loooooonnnnnnggggg gunwale pieces. Pretty well banged up,there was some filing, sanding and buffing before putting on the Mothers polish. When the trim is finished the only ramaining project will be the forward fuel tank mock up. Have to fabricate a angle iron frame for mounting. When that's finished it's putting in fuses, connecting all the wires to the blocks, trim out the windshield, punch in a motorwell drain finish up the trailer winch stand, fenders and wait for warm weather.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 2 months ago #55782

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
The Merc looks great, and the progress you're making on the project is pretty awesome IMO, Cal!

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 2 months ago #56288

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
A few more things finished up this week. Completed the wiring hookups, fuses, horn, nav lights and anchor lights, ignition, everything and I hooked up a battery. THEY ALL WORK! Amazing! Installed the bow fuel tank in it's permanent location. Had to fabricate a frame for it to bolt down on. Hooked up the fill line, vent line, fuel line to stern, and connected wires for the gauge which I'm still waiting for, (ebay). Got the windshield lower gasket in the mail and installed it to the bottom of the shield. Used 5200 to glue it on so now the 7 day wait for it to set. Installed two motor well drains.
Next project is the rusty winch stand for the Gator trailer.

Bow fuel tank, 12 gallon.
The duct tape on the fuel line is to hold it in place while the 5200 sets in permanent.

Windshield gasket glued with 5200 held in place with masking tape for a week.

The rusty winch pole components are next.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 2 months ago #56311

Sweet, she's coming along nicely. Should be ready for water in no time.

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 1 month ago #56963

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ground down all the winch parts and primed, installed on the trailer ready for paint. Put the final touches on the fin end caps, had to remake some chrome rings to hold the tailights in place over the rubber gromets. Installed the spedometer but still have to run a tube and install the pitot pickup. Drilled the hole for the fuel gauge that was needed since the tank is now permanent. Fitted the new gasket on the windshield. Pretty much running out of small things to finish up, waiting for warm weather now so I can get it back outside and finish up the sanding and squirt some paint.
The finished fin caps with lights installed.
Windshield gasket from A&A marine.
The original Herters speedometer installed sans tubing.
Fuel gauge placed on the starboard side, purely functional, nothing fancy.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 1 month ago #56968

Excellent Cal, I really do love that dash! Fuel guage looks fine where it is.

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 1 month ago #56982

• MarkS

Pretty much running out of small things to finish up, waiting for warm weather now so I can get it back outside and finish up the sanding and squirt some paint.

I heard that, Cal! Mine is still upside down in the garage waiting for the hull paint, at least you timed your project progress perfectly with the seasons. (I guess that's one of those "live and learn" things.) I agree Bob, that dash looks awesome IMHO,

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 1 month ago #56989

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks guys. Upside down is good, it shows progress. When the boat first followed me home the wife asked "what's that POS doing in the garage" her words paraphrased. She later suggested I spend the winter on it, I guess to keep me out of her hair.
Sure glad you fellas talked me out of putting the finish coat on the topside, that would have been a disaster.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 1 month ago #57142

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
A few more days slip by and a couple more items taken care of. Installed a holder for the battery box, an aluminum plate for the motor mounts, put the inside braces in the Gator fenders.
The weather has been teasing us here by the frozen tundra. Yesterday was in the 60's today in the 30's next week in the 50's.
Really don't see much discussion on these threads about batteries and their hold downs and what you fellas do. The Herters is a different animal since there is no "floor" to mount or screw anything to I had to run an aluminum strap around the box and bolt it to the back of the seat. Actually solved some other problems. Had to balance the weight so I mounted it on the port side. More forward than the transom since these boats run low in the back anyway. Have to run another aluminum strap vertacally over the top of the box to keep the battery from bouncing around.
This is just a tempory box I used to get the proper size.

The aluminum plate for the motor mounts also temporary until the topside is painted and then it will be sealed with 5200 around the screws.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 1 month ago #57874

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Weather has been unusually warm this week but haven't had a second to devote to the boat other that some finish sanding of the primer. I'm leaving all the primer dust on the boat to keep me from rubbing my greasy hands on it.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 1 month ago #57875

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Double post...hit the button once too often so I can add that this past week has been one for the record books. Blew out the main brake line on my Jeep so had to replace that two days ago, fuel injector went out on the wife's mini-van so that was yesterday's project, refridge deep sixed three days ago, had to replace that. Crap happens in threes so maybe I can get back to the Herters. The pitot pickup did come in the mail this week and I got that installed.
Did I mention I picked up a 1959 Mark 78? a real basket case but it sits in the corner until the Herters is finished unless I have a second to spare. With the warmer weather the honey do list is starting to expand.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 1 month ago #57906

Cal, Yeah that whole crap in threes thing sucks, why the hell can't it be the good things in threes!!!!!!!!! Yep weather's been great your way from what I can see, sorry the honey do is getting longer, unfortunately I know how that goes all too well!

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 1 month ago #57991

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
y'know, it takes a long time to read through all 10 pages of posts in this thread. i counted at least 3 dirty looks from the wife while i spent a good amount of the afternoon reading things over. well worth it - lots of great information and inspiration! everything looks fantastic, and i can't wait to see if finished!

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 1 month ago #58001

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Riceman, most people just look at the pictures, we're all like 2 yr olds. As you can tell the boat is just about finished 'cept for some final sanding/filling and then the top coat which is going to be a bright yellow. After the paint is dry I can add the hardware and dunk it. Still haven't re-registered it yet but as long as it is in my state I just have to pay the fee and get new sticky numbers to put on it.
It's been a journey since last July when I started but now I'm glad I was able to share it with everyone and get some valuable input on what and what not to do and how to do "it".
Unless you're a glutton for punishment just skip to the last page on the numbers.
The cold weather has slowed progress on many of our projects but better days are ahead and things begin to get busy again.
Best of success.
Cal

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 2 weeks ago #59029

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Finally got the boat registered so I'm legal. The weather is too cold for any painting so I hung the motor on the back to do some final adjusting and measurements on the shift, throttle and steering. Like to do some final sanding but that's a no no until I'm ready to do some squirting.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 1 week ago #59077

That's great Cal, glad your still at it!

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 12 years 1 week ago #59109

hey cal your doing great,it looks fantastic.
i have 2 things im going to send you for your dash,i think they would look cool,i bought them for my fish,but who knows when i will ever get to it,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 11 years 11 months ago #60548

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I haven't abandoned the Herters, just waiting for a decent warm weather day to get it back out in sunlight and finish sanding for the paint. Have to put the fuel/water separater on my motorhome, install the battery and move it out of my custom "paint booth". Just need a decent weekend.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 11 years 11 months ago #60947

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
FINALLY! Some decent weather, was able to to move outside and finish sanded and glazed some pits this evening. Finished the motor well area and back section. Smiled all the time while my neighbor on the north side was cutting grass, well one of his kids was cutting grass. Weather is supposed to be in the 70's the rest of the week and Saturday in the upper 60's. Plan on painting this weekend to get the biggest last step done. Got the water/fuel separator installed on the motorhome Monday so the paint booth is available.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 11 years 11 months ago #60971

• MarkS
Great to see you're coming "down the home stretch" there Cal, I'll be you ARE smiling. The bugs are already starting to come out down here, (but it's my fault I'm behind schedule). Can't wait to see yours coming out of the paint booth!

Mark

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 11 years 11 months ago #61046

Yeah me either.

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 11 years 11 months ago #61072

i cant wait to see the pics,i know they will be great!

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 11 years 11 months ago #61107

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Mother nature is a cruel broad. Took the day off to paint and she decided today would be a good day to drop every @$#%&*##$@ maple seed in the neighborhood on my driveway.
These babys do not make for a pleasant painting experiance. Rigged up a roof on my "paint booth" and proceeded to get down to business.
Did some final sanding and wipe down, got out the compressor and went at it.
Seem like no matter how hard the search for pinholes there are always some that slip by. Also there are three bugs that sacrificed themselves for some reason. Have enough paint left over to use in my Prevel for touch up if needed. Now let it harden a few days and start adding the bling.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 11 years 11 months ago #61115

Looks like it turned out ok. No major seed problems. I had the cat jump on my wood seat I was putting Helms on about an hour ago. Cat hair don't come uot to easy. Hope your dries better than mine is gonna. Skip.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 11 years 11 months ago #61121

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Cat hair can be a lot worse than brush hairs.
The picture in the last post dosn't do it justice. I'll get a better one after I pull the masking off today.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 11 years 11 months ago #61122

cal,its looking great,i sure am jealous ,i want to work on one of my own boats,but im having fun living through your posts.

---Mark Twain

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 11 years 11 months ago #61137

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
John, my back and knees are paying the price today. I'm getting the feeling this will be the final major "project" for me, can't do all the crawling around that's needed. I'll have to talk one of the grandsons into holding the nuts and lockwashers for the through bolts when I put the trim on, that's gunna cost too $$$$ :)
I was thinking last night about the yellow color that I chose, funny thing the very first boat I rebuilt in the early 80's was a Johnson tri-hull that someone painted a bright yellow and I remember thinking what an ugly color. Geesh...what goes around....
Now I can put the cool Gator fenders on the trailer, didn't want to take any chances with them being plastic and all.

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 11 years 11 months ago #61144

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Let the fun begin. Hung the Mark 58 today, started adding the mahogany trim pieces and edging.
Mahogany trim around the steering and fuel line port and beginning installing the chrome edging on the raw glass edges.

Shift and electrical port.

From the top and single lever shift/fuel gauge.
Attachments:

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 11 years 11 months ago #61167

Cal,
Absolutely OUTSTANDING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Mahogany looks great with that color!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 11 years 11 months ago #61170

NICE!!!!!

1963 Starcraft 14' Ranger

Re:1959 Herters rebuild 11 years 11 months ago #61174

Turning out really nice there. Nice color and the wood work looks great. Keep up the good work. skip.

Time to create page: 0.369 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 13984 guests and one member online