Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Screw removal

Screw removal 6 years 6 days ago #135949

The bottom aluminum trim for the windshield on my '59 Larson has a series of steel screws that hold it to a raised lip on the deck. Does anyone know of a trick to get them out without ruining the trim piece? The heads are to shallow to Dremel a deeper groove in and I can tell they're going to strip if I go any harder with a screw driver. They're slotted and rusted so not a whole to grip. Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Screw removal 6 years 2 days ago #135984

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Sorry I'm late for the party here. Are they screws or bolts with nuts underneath? If they are wood screws there are special screw removal kits that work great and are cheap, sold at most hardware stores. The kit is just a small drill to put a short hole in the center of the stripped screw and then a reversed drill bit that fits in the small hole to back the screw out. If they are through bolt and nuts then you can just take your dremmel and grind off the nut from below. Stainless screws and nuts are also available at hardware stores.
Those kits are also available on line, Amazon etc.
Attachments:

Screw removal 6 years 1 day ago #135992

Thanks for the info. I ended up using a dremel and ground the heads of the screws off. I was then able to get the trim off and eventually the windshield. I'll use it for a pattern to make my new one out of Lexan. I tried to do it from underneath but with the angle of the fiberglass, I could only get a couple. I did slightly nick the trim but I think I can sand them out when it's polishing time. I do have a good line on 3 old Starflite motors but I'd really rather put an old Merc on it. I found a '60 model direct reverse 70 horse but it's in Toledo and that's just a bit too far to drive from Atl.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6050 guests and 3 members online