• Page:

TOPIC: Shining up the '68 Mustang

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 8 months ago #133030

• 63LStriton
  • 63LStriton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Been a while since I have posted anything on the site. Been very busy with life!!

Spent some time last night on the first cut for buffing out the 1968 Lone Star Mustang. We have been working on wet-sanding the oxidized gel coat for quite some time now. We are working to get it ready to show for the Door County Maritime Museum classic boat show on 8/11-13. So far, so good. Going to sit with Cal for the weekend and drink all of his beer!!

Got some pictures of its original condition and work in progress. Last 3 are from last night when I put the buffer to it for the first time after extensive wet sanding to remove the oxidation. Preliminary results look good, just need to keep working at it. Once it is buffed out I need to reattach all the hull furniture and the windshield. I have a feeling the weeks are going to fly by!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 8 months ago #133034

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
time is flying, but your rig is sure looking nice - WOW! I hope to be there Saturday. I have lots to learn from you and Cal. Since my big Merc is broken (and at the present it has been decapitated), I will not be bringing the Powercat...but I will bring my 1958 Wilson so people can see what many face when starting a restoration...mine is raw with rotted transom removed...and no hardware or motor.

Dr.Go!

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 8 months ago #133037

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Mark and Mark.
Looks like I'll have to pack another cooler. Long range forecast weather looks promising.

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 8 months ago #133039

• 63LStriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Looking forward to seeing you both. Trust me, she is starting to look shiny but I think I am just putting lipstick on a pig as a found a leak the last time I had her out. That will give us something to discuss while we are drinking Cal's beer!

Our family cottage is only about 15 minutes from the show. I am thinking that maybe I can host dinner Saturday night - maybe some ribs on the grill. Not sure what the requirements are for showing the boats and how we can come and go. Cal - you can help us know what to expect and what we should bring up. Also, not sure of your plans for accommodations that weekend but we may be able to host one or both of you. Just let me know your plans

Finally, Mark you need to plan on stopping by my place in the way home. I have a 64-65 Merc 1000 just taking up space. I am sure that we can work something out.;)

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 8 months ago #133043

looking good! I'm going to be doing this same thing over the winter I hope. I saw the 800 grit wet/dry....what grits have you used? I was figuring doing 800 then 1200 before switching to the liquid compounds.

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 8 months ago #133044

• 63LStriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It was recommended that I use mostly 1000 and finish with 2000, with a sheet or 2 of 800 for the tough spots. I ended up using the 800 right away and was making some progress, but switched to 600 and powered through. I had very heavy oxidation on the topside, and while 800 was working I didn't think it was time effective.

The cut I did the other night was a test cut using Maquires Heavy Cut just over the areas sanded with the 600. I wanted to see how close I could get it. I think that I need to use the 1000 first to get a better mirror finish. I will try that on the other side and see what happens.

The boat looked awesome in natural light, but when I pulled it back into the garage under the flourescent lights i could see the fine scratches from wet sanding. Thats why I think I need to run another course of wet sanding before making the multiple runs with the buffer. Right now I am planning on 3 runs - heavy cut, rubbing compound, and then polishing compound. Then a good wax.

Cal - if you have time in the near future I would appreciate you swinging by to take a look and give me your thoughts as I buff her out.

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 8 months ago #133045

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
If I park my sanded down and grounded cracks Wilson between the 2 of you at the show, your boats will look brand new. The general public won't ever find a scratch on your boats. I am hoping my boat will give people a better appreciation for the hard work you guys have done. I originally was only planning a Saturday day trip, but no committed time table of what to do and where to go. As far as the Merc, I have to wait until I hear what my mechanic says about my Jeep tow vehicle. A bad valve train knock showed up yesterday and he is on vacation next week. Sure hope I am not mistaking that noise for a rod knock.

Dr.Go!

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 8 months ago #133046

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The show is a come and go as you please. You don't have to stand by your display. The past few years I just set up and walked around the lot and then toured the street venue bands and food stands. Watching teams build their boats for the Sika Flex challenge is always good entertainment.
You don't want to criticize finishes. The rocket has lots of overspray and fine scratches but looks good 10 feet away.
I'm setting up on Friday evening and then driving back to GB then back to the meet about 9 or 10 on Saturday.

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 8 months ago #133049

• 63LStriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Cal - you are welcome to bunk at the cottage if that works with your plans. Just let me know via text or email and I can give you more of the specifics.

Same for you Mark if you decide to stay over. Good luck with the Jeep!

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133266

• 63LStriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here are some update pictures from the last few weeks with me and the crew working on the boat. Getting it ready for the boat show this weekend. Still need to show pictures of the current "finished" product. I left a few areas in their original state so that people could see the difference. Still has a way to go....

Made good progress last night and put back on the hull furniture and windshield. Just need to reinstall the seats tonight and do some hull polishing and it is as good as it is going to get for the show.

I will post some pictures from the show over the weekend.

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133267

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Wow, what a difference! Lots of elbow grease used there.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 63LStriton

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133269

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Great looking results. I need to bring a note pad and write down what I learn this weekend from you and Cal...maybe I will need 2 notepads since my memory is short. Keep up the amazing work! I will have to tow with my old '81 car to the show since the 2000 Jeep motor is all but dead. I wouldn't even trust driving around the block for fear of throwing a rod....and the boat restoration takes another back seat.

Dr.Go!

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133270

• 63LStriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
That stinks! Life always seems to throw something in the way. Cal and I will have a few cold ones for you to assuage your mind this weekend!!

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133272

It's a shame there aren't more old boat shows down here in the southeast.

FWIW I have some of the Meguire's heavy cut and it specifically says it works on 1200 grit scratches.

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133275

• 63LStriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
That should do it. I ended up using mainly 600 and 800 because of the heavy oxidation. There were only a few spots that I needed to sand with 1000 before compounding with the Mequires heavy cut. I then used Meguires polishing compound to brighten everything up even more. I just need to put on some wax to protect everything from the sun so it doesn't start all over again.

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133281

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Long as I have my health I can learn lots working through life's details. It will just make it that much sweeter to hopefully one day get my restoration done and in the water. I have played the priorities game with this one for 8 years now... the bright side is I did get my one owner Powercat in the mean time that is water worthy and was in the middle of getting that bad piston and bad reverse taken care of and almost done when the Jeep motor took a dive. I, like all others, will just keep chipping away until the Wilson gets done. I will just do a little at a time when I can, so eventually one day there is no longer a mountain of work left. No wonder why maiden voyages are so memorable! I will probably be so excited that I will forget to put the drain plug in!

Dr.Go!

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133286

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Just out of curiosity how many miles on the Jeep? I had 346,000 on my '98 XJ and it was running strong before I rolled it in Menomonee Falls on I41. Really miss that thing.

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133306

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Only 259,000... but I have been running 1,000 mile round trips... sometimes 5 of 6 weekends in a row. Also pulling trailers a lot... 1,800 pound boat trailer in summer and same weight snowmobile trailer in winter up into the U.P. ... even road trips to Kentucky and Louisiana... so many 600 plus mile days... of course all at the end of its life instead of when new. I was 3rd owner and bought from a young guy at 70,000 miles. Not sure who may have thrashed it more. It was always loaded on all road trips. I still love it and may consider throwing in a long block. Seems many people go deep into the 300,000's... maybe I should have changed the original oil more than once. Glad you survived the roll over!!! Dang.

Dr.Go!

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133307

VERY NICE ! A quick question if you don't mind ? A friend gave me a set of those planing fins for my motor and I'm wondering about placement. Yours are as far back as they can go so is that what I should be aiming for ? My Humber is a little slow to plane even with the homemade trim tabs the original owner built and I recreated so I'm going to use them. Maybe when I get back from the lake. We had so much fun yesterday we are heading for Long Point today. Thanks in advance and have a great day.

Damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead !

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133310

• 63LStriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Are you talking about the whale tale on the motor? It was there when I acquired the boat, and I did not make any changes or adjustments. Sorry that I can't be of assistance. I am sure that someone else on the site will give you some suggestions.

Good to see you back! Sorry to hear that your life has been so "interesting" - at least you are still upright and working on your projects!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Firstglassproject

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133311

• 63LStriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Gotta love the old straight 6!! I grew up with those as my dad had a series of AMC vehicles. They will generally run forever as long as you take care of them - or don't roll the vehicle!!

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133315

That's okay, if it works for you for you it's darn sure good enough for me. They are going on tonight ! We got another morning out in the Humber today but Lake Erie was flexing it's muscles. The swells were 5 feet coming into the river and they were breaking out on the lake so we stayed inshore and played in the marsh. My little 14 footer only draws about 14 inches so it's a great little skipping stone. We love it and we are happy as all get out to be back in the life. We've both got a pretty good sunburn today tho. That'll learn us. Thanks for replying anyway and have a great day !

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133321

She looks awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133404

Here's hoping that your guy new his stuff because I copied him as best I could. Now I have trim tabs and planing tabs ! SeaMaster Series II G2 tabs give you WIIIINGS ! We'll find out tomorrow. Have a great night. P.S. those aren't finished pictures, my camera died so I'll get some tomorrow.
Attachments:

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133421

If you've never had them off, oh my God you need to try the boat without them !! I went about 5 miles this morning on my first run with them before I beached the boat and took them off ! They took away speed, handling, and wave running comfort and I am much happier without them on. Please try it without them and let me know if it's just my boat or if they suck for everyone. I was not impressed at all and regained 5 or 6 mph at WOT without them. Might be worth a try. Have a great day.

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133424

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I think I have about three different styles sitting on a shelf, removed every one of them and filled the holes.

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133433

How did you fill the holes in ? I'm not even sure what kind of metal it is. There is NO way those things are ever going back on. Do you want a fourth set for your display ? You are welcome to them. They aren't heavy enough to be an anchor so I can't come up with a single reason to keep them.

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133438

• 63LStriton
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I will need to try popping them off and see what happens. Haven't done much with the motor with the exception of tuning it up. If you had such good results I will pull them off and see what the difference in performance is.

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133443

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member

Firstglassproject wrote: How did you fill the holes in ? I'm not even sure what kind of metal it is. There is NO way those things are ever going back on. Do you want a fourth set for your display ? You are welcome to them. They aren't heavy enough to be an anchor so I can't come up with a single reason to keep them.

You can just bondo the holes and sand them down flush. There's no stress there. Just cosmetic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Firstglassproject

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133447

That's good, metal I'm familiar with ! LOL. Thanks much. I've got a pint here somewhere or other so by the weekend no-one will ever know I screwed it up for nothing, less than nothing actually. Have a great day.

Shining up the '68 Mustang 6 years 7 months ago #133448

I'm going backwards and should have tuned it up first. I think you'll be surprised but maybe they work for some boats, just not mine. Time a couple runs out of the hole and time to plane and top speed. I found them to be slowing me down dramatically. I was truly shocked by the difference and since I'm new to the boat I sure noticed it fast ! The first time I opened it up I thought something was wrong with the motor she was so slow to start climbing out of the whole and once she did she was like dead weight. Much better without them so yeah, try it out. Have a great day.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.321 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat