Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Single cable steering conversion

Single cable steering conversion 7 years 3 weeks ago #130667

I bought a new engine for my Glasspar G3 Centerdeck and need to convert the steering to the modern single cable rack/pinion type. I could use some help on two questions. First, how much cable will I need for a starboard-side dash steering mount? Second, if I buy used cable, can I cut it to the length I need or must I buy prefabricated product?

I have absolutely no experience with this modern steering system as I grew up with the old fashioned plastic coated wire cables. My new engine (1992 75 HP Mercury) is prepped to use the new system. There seems to be an adequate supply of used steering wheels and cables on the Craigslist and Ebay markets to make utilizing used equipment cost effective. But, I've yet to see cables in the 8 foot range that I think I require. Most everything is 16/17 feet or longer. That's why I'm wondering if I can cut it to length.

Thanks.

Doug

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Single cable steering conversion 7 years 3 weeks ago #130748

Rack and Pinion steering cables are of a fixed length. You can't shorten them.

I was a kid in a boat in Florida in the late 1960s that ended up on the beach after the steering cables jumped off the steering wheel's drum at speed. A couple of women got quite hurt in the event. Buy a complete system at the length you need. I can't help on the required length itself.

Re: Single cable steering conversion 7 years 3 weeks ago #130756

measure from the center of the steering wheel, follow the route the steering cable will take, to the center of the motor. add a foot and round the measurement up to the nearest foot. that will tell you how long of a cable you will need.

Re: Single cable steering conversion 7 years 6 days ago #130955

Mine didn't jump the spool. Instead, I hit some rough water where the combined affect of the bounce and motor torque threw the engine to one side, overcoming the tension springs. The springs then reacted and pulled the engine back to the other side. This seesaw effect continued until I cut the throttle and slowed down. Yes, it was scary. Thanks for the info.

I've found a number of Teleflex used units online and in a salvage store here in Ft. Pierce, Fla. I can't tell the relative size of the unit in the online posts and they rarely provide the model number. The units in the salvage store all look like they come from big saltwater rigs and most don't have the tapered thread 3/4 inch shaft for a typical small boat steering wheel. But, my biggest question at this point is what model number/numbers would be best suited for my G3 centerdeck. I would appreciate some recommendations from those "in the know." Thanks, again.

Doug

Re: Single cable steering conversion 7 years 6 days ago #130957

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
These guy might have what you need also.
greenbayprop.com/
It's a bone yard of old boats and equipment.
Just sayin'

Single cable steering conversion 7 years 6 days ago #130959

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
A bonus is this (greenbayprop) would be fresh water stuff, so likely no salt damage.

Dr.Go!

Re: Single cable steering conversion 7 years 6 days ago #130965

Thanks, Dr. Go. Good source.

Doug

Re: Single cable steering conversion 7 years 6 days ago #130967

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Doug, if you do contact them tell 'em (Joe) Cal referred you. That business is only two miles from me and I can go and check things for you if needed. Get me your measurements.

Re: Single cable steering conversion 7 years 5 days ago #130976

Will do, Joe. Thanks for the offer. I'm in Florida right now and won't be home to Mich until April 6. I'll make the measurement then and get it to you. Thanks, again.

Doug

Re: Single cable steering conversion 7 years 5 days ago #130979

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Noooooo. I'm Cal, the owner is Joe

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.202 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)