Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 60 Rocket Restore

60 Rocket Restore 7 years 1 month ago #130094

Hello All, This is my first go fast boat. I've been a sailor for many years. I thought it would be fun to restore something special, then the 1960 Rocket popped up on craigslist( 40 hp Evinrude and trailer). The blue deck is the same color as my '71 Pearson sailboat(26 ft, 6,000 lbs, Lake Michigan). Fate I think. The azure blue is under the dk blue paint.
I have read the Shell Lake stuff in the Library, awesome resource, thank you! Do we know how many were produced? How many are actually still around? My boat seems to have all the original upholstery and appointments. Wood planks on the floor, and sides of the hull next to the front seats. Was there astroturf on the inside of the hull and those pockets on the back of the front seats or would that be a later addition?(are we calling those pockets lazarettes or mini beverage coolers?)Any additional comments or info will be appreciated. I do not have possession yet(it's frozen in, but I have paid for it)so the pics are scarce. I'll have to plan the project, I see some articles in the research section. Hopefully something there. I'll be cataloging and bagging the parts, with pics to document how it fits.
Wish me luck, and let me know what you know, thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 1 month ago #130112

Welcome aboard and nice find. Sorry I don't have any info on the rocket but I'm betting the astroturf was put in by the previous owner and not nothing the manufacturer installed.

Bob

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 1 month ago #130136

Re:'60 Rocket Restore 7 years 1 month ago #130137

Here's a pic of the jet/rocket deck fittings. They have silver paint on them which seems to flake off with a fingernail, hopefully the paint stripper will do the job nicely. Chrome underneath, not perfect but with some "patina" . . .
Attachments:

Re:'60 Rocket Restore 7 years 1 month ago #130210

Does anyone have information about the "Shel-Glide Ride spring construction under the front seat to smooth out rough water rides"? The suspension was introduced in 1960. Any info about the convertible top? My 1st mate is sensitive to the sun... these things are mentioned in the sales brochures in the library. It is azure blue under the paint.
Attachments:

Re:'60 Rocket Restore 7 years 1 month ago #130241

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I really would like to see how that spring system worked. The rocket I;m working on used to have it but the PO removed it. Only had holes in the seat bottom where it was mounted. I wound up putting a straight seat across with lots of foam to make it cushier. If you can't find an original top I would go with a standard Bimini.
Attachments:

Re:'60 Rocket Restore 7 years 1 month ago #130242

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I really would like to see how that spring system worked. The rocket I;m working on used to have it but the PO removed it. Only had holes in the seat bottom where it was mounted. I wound up putting a straight seat across with lots of foam to make it cushier. If you can't find an original top I would go with a standard Bimini.
Attachments:

Re:'60 Rocket Restore 7 years 1 month ago #130243

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Attachments:

Re:'60 Rocket Restore 7 years 1 month ago #130246

OK, thanks. The seat springs are pictured on the 1960 Rocket sales brochure in the library. They look like torsional arms on the 4 corners. BTW, your boat looks really nice. Let us know if you are at any shows, I'd love to see it! You mentioned Kosh, are you going? When is it?

Re:'60 Rocket Restore 7 years 1 month ago #130309

Outboard info? I wondering about the difference between the 40 hp Evinrude Fastwin, Bigtwin, and Lark models. Any of the repair parts(points, pumps)interchangeable? Is there a favorite website for info like this?
Attachments:

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 2 weeks ago #130780

OK, So I finally have the Rocket home and am able to do some closer inspection. I think I need a little anatomy lesson. There is a drain at he bottom of the transom. There is no corresponding opening on the inside. There is a raised portion of the floor the extends from the transom to under the rear seat. Is this a foam floatation compartment? Also across the inside of the transom is an elevated tray that extends from side to side. Is this a splash tray? I did find 2 drains in the bottom of it, I assume that is original construction, along with the floor elevation? Why would there be a drain hole that leads into a flotation compartment? The transom seems to have been re-enforced with a steel strap (3" wide, 1/4 " thick) and a "plank" reaching across the whole transom across a cut out, perhaps to accommodate a long shaft engine? I'll get some pictures...

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 2 weeks ago #130781

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Lets see if we can help you out here. Yes there are three sealed chambers on that boat for flotation. One in the bow area floor, one under the front seat area and the last is that portion that you described under the rear seat towards the transom. There are two drain holes. One would be what you described on the lower transom, this drains any water that would accumulate in the aft area by your fuel tanks etc. It should be transom floor level. Lower center red circle.
The other two smaller holes lead from the motor splash well area, yes that is your splash "tray", these drain any water that would back up over the transom say while you were backing up in rough water, these stay unplugged.
There is no drain leading into the flotation area. There should be on the floor just about under the port rear seat a brass screw plug that leads directly through the bilge to the water. This would be like an auto baler that would suck out any water in the boat while you ARE UNDER WAY ONLY!! or if you are trailer-ed.
Can't help you with the "plank". A long shaft motor would take a 20" transom measured from the top of the transom to the bottom of the outside. Short shaft would be around 15". It could be different in some areas, might be it just needed reinforcement for the PO's peace of mind.
Attachments:

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 2 weeks ago #130783

OK, Thanks for the great info and pics, awesome! This is getting very interesting. The profile of my transom is just a straight line, no ribs on the bottom as on yours. I'll look for a "tunnel" drain hole under the rear seat. Now for a little problem, there is a hole in that rear elevated area, water has definitely been allowed to enter... Pictures will help...I don't recall the ribs on the bottom, maybe a different model year? The rear seat/brass plug/auto bailer, seems to have been removed and glassed over. And in another thread, you mentioned a hull number plate on the transom, I suspect mine may be under the plank. Again, I'll send some pictures . . . but I'm not home now...

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 2 weeks ago #130784

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The Rocket that I have is a 1960 model. Late 50's to early 60 had very similar designs with some subtle changes. Mine was originally registered and titled as a 1958. After doing the research I found out that the only year they offered the "azure blue" color and the bow light/chock/cleat setup was 1960 and that is what I had. So I can give you some generality info but details might be different.
Go to the Glassic Library above and page through the brochures for the years and models, that will probably nail it down better. If you had maybe a '58 it could have originally been set up for a short shaft.
follow this link.
www.fiberglassics.com/library/Shell_Lake#1957

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 2 weeks ago #130785

I was thinking 1960 because of the azure blue color under the pained surface, but now that it is home I see some chafe/wear spots and under the azure blue it seems to be white. I'll have to get to the bottom of this as well. I assume the azure blue in 1960 was the gelcoat color, not just a surface paint. And again thanks for your responses. My bowlight is different also, a red/blue lens combination, with a 'finned' chrome housing. see pic.
Attachments:

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 2 weeks ago #130788

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Boat manufacturers used different hardware through the years. That bow light is cool, definitely a keeper.

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 2 weeks ago #130790

The engine had some mice in there. Would it be reasonable to pressure wash the power head if I take out the magneto assembly and starter? and cover the carb intake.

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 2 weeks ago #130796

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
No need to remove those. They are all sealed or should be. I would put a baggy or something over the carb though.

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 2 weeks ago #130806

I'm late to the party but, welcome! I too am a sailor as well and currently have a Hobie 16. Good luck with your Rocket.

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 2 weeks ago #130808

OK, my first thought was to avoid getting the electrical stuff wet. Then I was thinking I could get a better cleaning job if that stuff was out of the way. I assume the magneto ring/mounting plate is just bolted in place. I also have a couple pics of the transom, the ribs on the bottom (they are there just set back from the face of the transom), and the "lack " of drainage holes for the gas tank or under the rear seat. And an irregular hole in the floor that goes into the flotation foam, you can see the white "stuff" any comments about the transom re-enforcement? There is a hinged cover (board obscuring the engine clamps) over the splash tray from the PO trying to make a storage compartment? The drain holes were plugged with a dowel...I do not know what the raw fiberglass patch on the transom is about, I would trying to prevent water from getting in somewhere. The transom seems solid when I rock the engine, the whole boat moves. I'm anxious to see what is going on there. Hey if you are ever visiting Menomonee Falls/Milwaukee area and you want to see it, let me know. 414-465-3381.

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 2 weeks ago #130809

too many pics to upload. here are some

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 2 weeks ago #130810

I used my camera, they are all too large, I'll try to get them condensed...

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 2 weeks ago #130812

and what is JEGO ?

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 2 weeks ago #130815

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Johnson, Evinrude, Gale, OMC...the threads on this site, just two clicks up from this "projects" thread.
Would really like to see your rocket this coming May at Lake Kosh. It's only 65 miles west from you at the Anchor inn.
Address: 718 E State Road 59, Edgerton, WI 53534
Phone: (608) 884-7565
No need to do any fixin' you can keep it on the trailer. People are always curious to see the classics no matter what condition they are in. If weather permits the group goes out for a spin on the lake. Your are welcome to ride along with me if you want.
Resize your pictures to about 1500 pixels.

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 2 weeks ago #130819

HEY, GREAT, IT IS MUCH CLOSER THAN I WAS THINKING. Below are the detail pics I mentioned earlier:
Attachments:

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 2 weeks ago #130822

only 1 pic at a time?
Attachments:

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 2 weeks ago #130823

transom
Attachments:

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 2 weeks ago #130825

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Once you have uploaded one picture and posted it, go back to your post and hit the "edit" button. That will bring it back up where you can add a second and hit "submit" again. I am not sure how many can be added, but I have seen several on one post. Hope this helps.

Dr.Go!

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 2 weeks ago #130826

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Looks like someone increased the height of what looks like a 15" short shaft transom so that a long shaft motor could be used (and perhaps helped them keep water from coming over the back with increased height). Maybe that is where the patching and bracing came from. It doesn't look like they didn't quite make a 20" transom to fit the industry standard long shaft height...however, depending on one's own ideas or needs, people play with mounting heights (within sensible and mathematical reasons mostly) to best suit their own specific circumstances. That is another topic for the experts to weigh in on.

Dr.Go!

Re:60 Rocket Restore 7 years 2 weeks ago #130827

Great, thanks!

Re:60 Rocket Restore 6 years 11 months ago #131265

I have noticed the '60 Rocket has 3 ribs on each side of the bottom, and they extend into the transom profile. MY Rocket, has only 1 rib on each side and the keel in the center. The ribs and keel are tapered toward the aft and only show a small "bump" in the transom profile. Does anyone have info about what year ('57,58,59) this would be? Also, a PO tried to put a drain hole in, but only drilled into the flotation compartment. There is no drain in the aft bilge area (unless it has been filled and covered over), nor under the front seat. Let me know. The library does not have these details posted. Also there was a self draining scupper amidships that has been removed.
Attachments:

Re:60 Rocket Restore 6 years 11 months ago #131268

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I did some responses in the other posting that you answered for me about the generator output.
Here are the pictures I was talking about. The "culvert" under the front seat leading to the back seat area. The rear seat scupper that would bail under way or while on the trailer. The inside of the transom drain hole and where it is located on the outside.
I do believe you have a '58 since yellow was a color for that year.
Attachments:

60 Rocket Restore 6 years 10 months ago #131760

I'm hoping to bring the Rocket to Kosh. I need to put the engine back together and repack the trailer bearings . . .

60 Rocket Restore 6 years 10 months ago #131761

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Plans are still in play. I'll be going early Saturday morning and just spending the day, heading back home early evening. See you there.

60 Rocket Restore 6 years 9 months ago #132188

I had my sailboat ('71 Pearson 26') out for the first ride this season, I had thom 1040 with me! Quite cool out there on old Michigan, but a good breeze moved us along at a whopping 6-7 mph. I cant wait to go fast!

60 Rocket Restore 6 years 9 months ago #132398

Just an update, I've been working on the deck (on the back of the house). Complete rebuild for composite decking material. We did try to get it started, there was fuel at the carb, and compression can be felt by turning the flywheel, but there is no spark. Maybe bad coils, maybe the safety switches are not opening correctly. More tinkering needed. Thom1040's Rocket runs nice, cant wait to go again. Gotta get the deck done . . . I promised...

60 Rocket Restore 6 years 9 months ago #132399

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Doggone Life keeps getting in the way.
I'm still trying to figure out why I'm not getting and reading on my amp meter. Got to double all the wires today.i

60 Rocket Restore 6 years 9 months ago #132402

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It can be frustrating like you are working backwards... seems like this kind of thing makes me step back and say...ok - even though wire insulation looks good, I will start at doing a continuity test of every section of wire because once I did d find the small strands had broken and separated inside insulation and I couldn't even tell from the outside. Wiser folks than I kept teaching me patience and to start with everything simple first, then move to simple but tedious details... then step away for a bit if too much cussing or throwing things started. Then ask for help from the experts (that is usually when my lightbulb comes on and I get to learn more) ... like - dang...didn't even see that was there because I got hasty. You guys are way ahead of me and will solve these things and be on the water in no time. Once on Mom's 80's Evinrude, the UV of the sun had worked over the simple plastic cap of the tether switch where its pressure holds in the kill switch button... the pressure popped the face of this plastic clip and at a glance, you wouldn't even notice it. Running through the systematic testing came to testing the switch circuit. With tether off and using finger on button, it worked. Put back on and nothing. The problem was right in my hand and it still took me twice to spot it. My forehead gets flatter every year. Good luck guys!

Dr.Go!

60 Rocket Restore 6 years 9 months ago #132430

there is a special condition with my '66 40 hp Evinrude Lark. since it was not used for 4 years, some mice decided to take up residence inside the cowl. Lots of white corrosion in there... i'll thoroughly understand the operation of that thing by the time I get it running. Fortunately I have another boat, and my buddy also has a rocket . ...

60 Rocket Restore 6 years 6 months ago #133775

ok, the boat floats, and the engine runs (not perfect but...). So as previously mentioned, there is no drain in my boat. the original fitting in the bottom ahead of the "trilateral seat" has been removed and glassed over. the patch does leak a little and does not seem secure. I would like to return to the original fitting in the bottom. Does anyone know where to find one? I don't see it on ebay or google/bing searches. let me know if you know something. Thanks!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.498 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)