Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: lake n sea project for a newbe

lake n sea project for a newbe 1 year 1 week ago #132229

thought I responded to your boat and paint job earlier . WOW looks great i will give the rustoleum a try. i did just start to paint the inside hull and floor with the craigs list epoxy i bought cheep, just to clean it up the inside some. I'm not sure what to do with the floor non skid paint or something ?? And I have been sanding the top and fiber glassing a few small spots on the seats getting ready for the paint.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

lake n sea project for a newbe 11 months 3 weeks ago #132542

Sabre, i got the rustoleum for the white and blue and i am using it, pictures soon, MY QUESTION; how many coats did you use and how is it holding up?

I'm not going to go the the extra fine polishing you did, I want to get it in the water this summer lol

lake n sea project for a newbe 11 months 3 weeks ago #132543

late june using Rustoleum for the white and blue starting to get in on. I like the way it is working so far and MUCH cheaper.

But now im thinking about conecting things back up. LOL, looked at a few wireing vid. Now look at how it was done when i bought it. Unbelievable. I am going to go with a prewired plug it harness I found, for a small boat basic wiring
Attachments:

lake n sea project for a newbe 11 months 3 weeks ago #132544

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 38
You are way ahead of me. Now you have me thinking. I never even thought about a small pre-wire harness. Just figured I should look under a few dashboards and then just individually wire all components I chose to add. I don't want a mess, so maybe I need to rethink the best approach. Any nice wiring examples, techniques, or prewire harnesses or terminal blocks would be appreciated by anyone chiming in. Wasn't this far, so didn't even start thinking likely there needs to be a fuse block for safety. Your boat and paint job look nice!

Dr.Go!

lake n sea project for a newbe 11 months 2 weeks ago #132545

• 63 Sabre
  • Away
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 44
I've never had a problem with the Rustoleum peeling off or chipping. I do add a hardening agent to it. Google "roll and tip painting" and there are numerous sites explaining the process.

As far as basic wiring goes I like to keep it as simple as possible. A safe way is to run a single red and a single black # 12 or 14 wire from your battery to a spot under the dash and connect it to a terminal block. Walmart or any auto store. Then run the black wires from your navigation lights/horn etc. to the black (ground) side of the terminal block. Then it's a simple matter of connecting the + side to the red wire on the block, of course with the switch in there. If it's just lights I don't bother fusing them, the bulb will blow before any wire melts.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joecffv@aol.com

lake n sea project for a newbe 11 months 2 weeks ago #132547

i watched a few vids on wiring small boats worrisome lol so I found ezacdc.com makes things very simple and safe it looks like. charts instructions for basic setup. compared to how it was wired

lake n sea project for a newbe 11 months 2 weeks ago #132549

Well I did not know about adding a hardening agent, I did not read it anywhere on the instructions ???? I guess i will do three coats, i read about roll and tip , but im just using a brush then a little sanding between coats. not going after a restoration award.

I went to ezacdc.com for wiring

lake n sea project for a newbe 11 months 1 week ago #132703

more or less finished with the paint job. might try to polish up the chrome strip. need to get the wire harness and start to put on the hardware . lights, cleats etc. And i may splurge and look for a 50ish style steering wheel that plastic one just is not very nice i think
Attachments:

lake n sea project for a newbe 11 months 6 days ago #132757

• STN19
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
looks great! if you want to bring that trim up nicely pick up a tube of autosol works wonders with minimal effort

lake n sea project for a newbe 10 months 4 weeks ago #132925

ok i will , thank you for the suggestion. extream heat and daughter getting married has side tracked my progress :(

lake n sea project for a newbe 10 months 1 week ago #133229

small update , i'm seeing why some of these boats take a long time to get restored , lol, heat, wedding, did i mention a tree leaned on the house after a storm . Then after the wedding, the slush funds for payingfor boat stuff have dried up fpr a bit :(.
I put on some of the chrome accessories for now. still need the wiring harness and outboard looked at
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Hiramsaint

lake n sea project for a newbe 2 weeks 2 days ago #136536

trying to see if i can revive this post

Chuck from Cincinnati helped me search it out, thanks again

I did buy the wire harness from ezacdc , It may have been over kill on what I needed for the boat but I am learning I will do some pictures of it, if it ever stops raining around here, as I have to work out in the open

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds

FG Login

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Quick Search

Who's Online

We have 2911 guests and 5 members online