Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My first boat project, Great uncles 66 Traveler

My first boat project, Great uncles 66 Traveler 7 years 6 months ago #127239

Hey there, New member here, stumbled upon this gem of a site when I was trying to figure out what exact model I, restoring! My great uncles boat- Arkansas Traveler (or Stanray Corp) actually I have had a heck of a time referencing any info on this boat. Think it may be an Atlas, but then again most Atlas models seem to have an outboard of some sort. Anyhoo, This boat sat at my Uncs dock for a lonnggg time, and he passed away, and left it to my Gramps. He eventually had the carbs rebuilt, new water pump and tune up. started doing the hull and topside restoration and pulled the plug.
I Took it down almost to the fiberglass darn near the entire boat because of spider cracks and dings and boo boos every where.. Filled with new fiber glass, west systems epoxy and 404 high density filler. uses awlgrip 2 part finishing primer took about three coats. then roll and tip awlgrip battleship gray and whisper gray. all done solo first time ever touching a boat and just finished the last coat of whisper grey yesterday. Took about 6 months steady after work. now on the re installing the hard wear and fuel system up keep and then maden voyage. Oh yeah, Gramps broke the windshield so this one is fabricated from red oak. shouls have used a lot more resin, and a lot more elbow grease but hey, gotta move on. Thanks for any info on this wonderful and mystil boat. family boat for 2 or three generationa If you know what this is or have any info- fire away Folks. Thanks!, Kevin C.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:My first boat project, Great uncles 66 Traveler 7 years 6 months ago #127241

Nice project and you're doing well :)

Re:My first boat project, Great uncles 66 Traveler 7 years 6 months ago #127246

Thanks. Wow been a long road until now. Canta wait to getthis thing in the water! I,m about a 5 minute drive from the harbor hoping to get out and fish

Re:My first boat project, Great uncles 66 Traveler 7 years 6 months ago #127255

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Wow, nice project and I can appreciate the work put into it. What motor is connected to the OMC 800? I'm guessing the V6 Buick? If so that is an iron beast and should push that boat at a pretty good clip.

Re:My first boat project, Great uncles 66 Traveler 7 years 6 months ago #127335

She's coming along great!!!!!!!!!!

Bob

Re:My first boat project, Great uncles 66 Traveler 7 years 6 months ago #127493

Thank you Bob-
No this ol boat has the original OMC 120 W/ duel carbs. I thought it was a Merc, and I spent some time referencing the mercs but could not for the life of me find a 120 w/ duel carbs. That's when I became a member and had to ask the right folks the right questions. I do not know a whole heck of a lot about the the OMC 120, however I will soon find out. The hour meter claims 56 total hours! I had a 1960 willy's flat fender jeep with the V6 you are referencing. Believe it or not I spent a decent amount of money rebuilding it, and just got rid of it because it just sat around. Bummer, I would like to throw it in this boat.
Take care BOB,
Kevin

Re:My first boat project, Great uncles 66 Traveler 7 years 5 months ago #128698

almost done!

Re:My first boat project, Great uncles 66 Traveler 7 years 4 months ago #129158

stuck on the sterndrive. say a prayer for me!

Re:My first boat project, Great uncles 66 Traveler 7 years 4 months ago #129161

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
OK

Re:My first boat project, Great uncles 66 Traveler 7 years 2 months ago #130370

• Tay
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Great job! I am in the process of restoring a 1960 Arkansas Traveler Rocket, she is coming along nicely. I'll post before and after when completed. In my quest for her badges, I found an old Atlas Traveler and negotiated the removal of the Traveler badges/emblems aluminum. Would you be interested in these?
Attachments:

Re:My first boat project, Great uncles 66 Traveler 7 years 1 month ago #130436

Hello there. Thanks. In fact just took the boat for her maiden voyage toss weekend. The sweet smell of victory. Yes I am interested. Any idea what they came off of? I believe my gramps has the badges for my old altlas somewhere. But we cannot find them. I would gladly take those. How much are you asking for them? And why aren't you needing them?
Respectfully,
Kevin christy

Re:My first boat project, Great uncles 66 Traveler 7 years 1 month ago #130561

I'm just waiting for a reply
thanx

My first boat project, Great uncles 66 Traveler 6 years 9 months ago #132697

You've outdone yourself. All effort is worth it! I got inspired by this thread and I would like to start with my boat project but my truck needs the attention first, as soon as I install centerline wheels I can finally dedicate my time with boats.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.348 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7866 guests and no members online