Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 17 Ft MFG Gypsy

17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127181

Got a 17 ft MFG Gypsy for nothing to include Mercury 800 80 HP with lift an tilt system and trailer.

The steering cable was shot and the pump motor for the hydraulic lift an tilt system dead...the engine cranks fine....

I have stripped out and rebuilt the old seats that were in good condition and the rug and interior. To date I have removed the steering system check the wiring and rebuilt the lights...

I will replace the steering system in the spring after I replace the hydraulic pump motor this winter...

The interior floor is good and the hull is sound and in excellent shape except for chips here and there from normal usage.

The boat is going to be fishing boat when done

As I rebuild the interior I am adding new carpet a box in the back to hold the battery, bilge pump, lift and tilt pump and gas tank...I am also going to add 12 volt plugs and a few other things. Pictures that follow are of the project to date.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127182

The base of the seats rotted out so I rebuilt them out of cedar, all interior wood that rotted is going to be replaced with cedar...I have stockpile of it and so far this project has only cost me about a hundred bucks so far...
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127183

Stripped out interior...
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127184

Rebuilt lights up an running...
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127185

Start the redo of the interior with the box added to the back....
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127190

Looking good!!

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127205

I have laid a 1/4 lightweight water proof sub-floor on top of the existing floor that is in good shape...I wanted a clean smooth surface to lay the carpet in few weeks on...in side the box is going to be thick rubber mat on top of the existing sub floor....as I said I am putting the battery gas tank and hydraulic lift and tilt pump and bilge pump....I am planing on building a live well tank into the top of the box...images of th inside coming together follow....
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127207

once the carpet is in I am going to rebuild the lift and tilt hydraulic pump and then fit new hydraulic hoses to the system...If I have time before the snow starts I am going to install the new steering system and wheel....

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127213

I just ordered the carpet for this project and will be installing it in a about three weeks or less...the carpet is close to the original color and I will be carpeting all of the cedar in the boat...I'll pick up the thick rubber mat for the box by the time I get ready to install the carpet...pictures of the post installation will follow...

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127216

hopefully your waterproof plywood lasts longer than mine ?
I laminated waterproof plywood once for a small triangle to look like lap house siding. It lasted all of 3 years, and I could peel each ply layer like a banana.

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127221

it's a synthetic core water proof product designed for wet area usage..I have over twenty years experience working with these products and will seal the seams and coat the material before installing the carpet..I needed a clean surface to lay the carpet on and since the boat floor is in good shape with not rot decided to use this product....it light weight easy to install over a sound floor...the carpet is tough synthetic designed for marine use and long UV exposure...if the actual floor was rotted I would have removed and rebuilt it, as it's not...The rest of the interior was made of non-marine plywood and rotted over 40 years to just about mush...I replaced all of that with clear cedar I have from a barn siding project...all of the wood surfaces are going to be covered in carpet and the boat will be getting a top and be be under a boat cover when not in use when out of the barn...since the floor is sound all I needed was clean surface for the carpet...I expect to get at least ten or fifteen years of life out of this at a minimum based on my experience with these products...

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127222

So, exactly what is it? I can't really tell from the pic. Plywood with a synthetic core?

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127223

Balsa wood with synthetic core water proof and light weight lasts just about forever

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127224

I was going to use cork for the sub floor but had this on hand....totally water proof..I am trying to keep weight down...the old plywood I removed was about the same weight as this stuff..I am trying to remain weight neutral...

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127257

Taking a break from the project....waiting for material to show up...

In terms of this project I am turning this boat into a fishing machine..rugged reliable...its being designed for the larger lakes in Northern New England....this includes two or three day lake and shore camping trips in the northern New England woods with limited support...

I am keeping a ledger of costs to date and comparing them to the purchase of modern fishing boat/machine:

Project Purchase Price: $0.00 (Modern Boat/Fishing Machine: $23,000.00)

Phase I

Interior Overhaul and reconfiguration:

1. Interior wood and water proof sub-floor: $0.00 (Salvaged from previous jobs)

2. Seats: $0.00: (Salvaged from the boat)

3. Navigation Lighting $0.00 (Salvaged from the boat)

4. Electrical System: $30.00 (Connectors, switches, electrical tape)

5. Carpeting: $50.00 (Marine Grade)

6. Trim: $25.00

7. Fasteners $30.00 (Screws etc. (marine grade))

Project Phase I Total Cost: $155.00

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127259

The following diagram (not to scale) is the design I am working to with this project....it's a fishing boat design for northern New England's lakes...
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127266

Restored seats in bunk configuration.....
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127369

The carpet for the boat shipped as did the replacement bilge pump..today I screwed the interior clean surface down with stainless steel screws and will be sealing it...by this weekend I will have the carpet installed bilge pump and will then seal up the boat for the winter...the next project phase is repairing the lift and tilt hydraulics...that will be followed in the spring with the installation of steering system......

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127374

Looking good! Where would one purchase that type of waterproof board? Looks like neat stuff.

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127384

I got it from an online marine plywood dealer a few years back...as to today's activity I screwed down the sub-floor sealed the seams and coated it with water proof urethane coating....I then took one of the rebuilt seats and checked placement, fit, integration with the box in the rear and everything came together nicely...the rear facing seats lost foot room due to the box but I will be adding cushions and converting them from rear facing seating to inward facing seating...I extended the seating to bunk configuration and it integrated nicely with the box...the bunk will easily handle 6' plus people if needed...once the carpeting is in it I post pictures of the end state...
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127385

upright seat configuration.....
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127386

one more picture of the seating in upright configuration.....
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127434

Everything is ready for the carpet installation....the carpet is coming and is supposed to be here tomorrow...I may bite the bullet and install the steering system as well as the carpet before buttoning it up for the winter..if I install the steering I will mount the seats...I have the live well aerator and bilge pump coming as well...that will complete the boat save for the motor, hydraulics and trailer work I need to do....

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127486

The carpet showed up....I started laying it in the main cabin of the boat before it got dark...a few pictures follow of the installation....
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127487

Close up of the carpet..final pictures to follow on Friday.....
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127517

I just finished installing the carpet a few pictures follow...
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127518

Another Picture...
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127519

Final picture....
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127520

Carpeted the base of one seat set and placed it to see how it looks...the seats are in good shape and I will recover them down the road...
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127521

more seat pictures....
Attachments:

Re:17 Ft MFG Gypsy 7 years 6 months ago #127528

I have decide to hold on installing the steering system and hydraulics until the spring...I am going to finish up the inside and then seal up the boat for the spring...I have to install the bilge pump and live well aerator.. I am going use a marine cooler for the live well and install tie downs on top of the box for it rather than build it into the top...this allows for ease of removal...the live well aerator system I bought is designed as an after market system that can be installed in a marine cooler...I am going to hold off screwing cabin until after I install the steering system...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.968 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5713 guests and 2 members online