Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: '59 American Marc Stardust

'59 American Marc Stardust 7 years 7 months ago #126129

So, I thought I'd graduate from lurker status, now that I've figured out how to post pics, and start a project thread. This is my latest one, saw on craigslist for 250 and got for 200. Basically just the bare fiberglass missing most of the trim, but did come with the original controls. Looks like some kids got ahold of it and tried to remove the pink gelcoat with a grinder. After gouging the deck up thoroughly, they gave up and just painted her flat black... So needless to say, I have my work cut out for me! Just going for a decent restomod though. The crazy thing is, just two weeks prior, I had gone out to buy a retro looking outboard hood for my other old boat from a guy who had a trailer full. He said he was giving it 4 weeks and then the ones he didn't sell were going to the landfill :angry: So I bought a 60 Scott 75 (I think) hood, and a 58 Evinrude 45, and 59 Evinrude 50. Not knowing the boat I was about to buy was originally equipped with one, I just couldn't stand the thought of them being thrown away! Paid 20 apiece for them and just recently sold the 58 for 200... should have bought more but the girlfriend was with me and, y'know :silly: Getting ready to do the floor first and then the transom, even though that actually feels solid. Stay tuned B)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:'59 American Marc Stardust 7 years 7 months ago #126144

HOLY HELL IT"S THE BATBOAT!!

Batman, paging Batman to the white courtesy phone...

That thing is too cool. Good luck, can't wait to see it on the water!

Re:'59 American Marc Stardust 7 years 7 months ago #126151

That is awesome! Are you going to keep it black?

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

Re:'59 American Marc Stardust 7 years 7 months ago #126154

No. Although it makes it look like the bat boat, Florida and black are not friends. I had to pitch a canopy over it just to be able to touch it while working on her! I'm thinking white, which should hide as much sin as possible (I'm no body man) with red racing stripes :cheer:

Re:'59 American Marc Stardust 7 years 7 months ago #126169

Excellent find!!!!!!!!!! Love that '59 Golden Jubile Fat Fifty cover of course I'm partial.

Attachments:

Re:'59 American Marc Stardust 7 years 7 months ago #126185

Wow, Waterings yours looks much better than mine! I was able to source a Golden Jubilee medallion off a 40 hood on eBay for half of his asking price for the whole hood... Also picked up a sweet dash panel with a pristine medallion. The original dash panel was ok, but there was just a piece of the medallion left. When I started to initially clean out the boat, I found another fairly big chunk. When I was done, I looked at the trash can for days, knowing the other pieces could be inside somewhere. Then, I finally dumped it out on the driveway and sifted through all the filth. I found 4 more slivers, enough to glue up and have it somewhat complete. 4 weeks later I found the new one...
Attachments:

Re:'59 American Marc Stardust 7 years 7 months ago #126237

OK, so, first things first. The old wheel has got to go! Ever since I was a kid, I always wanted one of those deep dish, tri-spoke, classic grant wheels. You know the ones everyone said thieves like because you can keep both hands on the wheel while wearing handcuffs? So I ordered one :) I decided to keep the old cable and sheave system because the helm was in good shape and I just feel like staying retro (and cheap) on this. But the helm hub had this angle to it that just made the wheel like, school bus style. So I sliced a chunk out to get it coming straight out of the dash. Much nicer! Check out the original gel coat color... :pinch:
Attachments:

Re:'59 American Marc Stardust 7 years 7 months ago #126282

Now on to the floor. Most all of the seat platforms had been cut out already by whoever took the grinder to the deck. So I just needed to clean out a little remaining compost and cut some new plywood to glass back in. Assembled for a test fit and set the seats in to try it out.

Aaaand they sit too high... but that was the style in '59, just like the steering wheel, upright and proper. But I prefer to have it laid back and low. So I'm taking a couple inches off the platform. Floatation foam goes under the platform, so I'll have to make that up somewhere else.
Attachments:

Re:'59 American Marc Stardust 7 years 6 months ago #126455

Sorry been busy, I had just repainted that cove but it was in great shape to begin with. It lived it's life in a garage.

Your making good progress and I'm with you, I would go lower also.

Bob

Re:'59 American Marc Stardust 7 years 3 months ago #129354

Are you making any progress? I found a Stardust in a driveway here in Las Vegas that I just love. Good luck and please keep us posted on your progress. You can't use the excuse it's 10 below. Thanks....

Re:'59 American Marc Stardust 7 years 3 months ago #129402

No, I certainly can't use that excuse, going to be about 85 today. But I can use the, "finally got the boat in the water and I'm ROCKIN' IT EVERY DAY" excuse!!! Sorry, when I get some spare time, or a rainy day, I'll get my pics together and update. Right now I'm putting Christmas lights on her for the 40th annual Cape Coral boat parade tonight!
If you can pluck the one from the driveway for a decent price, do it! Such a fun, good handling little boat. And she's a sexy b**ch!!

Re:'59 American Marc Stardust 7 years 2 months ago #129704

OK, I thought I'd catch this up with a few more pics since the Stardust is back on the trailer while I'm waiting on a switch panel, so I can finish up the electrical right, and get rid of all the wire nuts...
So here are my most essential tools, shorty sledge for taking it apart, and PL for putting it back together!
Laying in foam sheets under the seat platform.
And putting the top on.
I then glassed over the top, but have no pics of that because it looks hideous! Ran out of resin on a hot day, then tried another layer on top, and ran out of resin again!! So I decided some dark blue carpet would be nice anyway ;)
I did drill drain holes at the bottom so WHEN water does get in, it won't saturate the foam.
Considered many, many things to replace the missing aluminum perimeter trim. And I'm still planning to visit a metal supplier to look at aluminum channel, BUT, I decided to try slitting a piece of PEX and pushing that on for the time being... and I might just keep it!! It really looks great, it's cheap, and if it gets damaged, big deal, throw on another one. I have yet to use anything to fasten it down, it stays put just from the tension of the tubing.
Now, I can't get a short shaft extension housing for the Honda, so I fabbed it up with aluminum angle. And the transom is pretty solid, but there are a couple of soft spots, so I added some struts just in case/peace of mind, till I replace the transom. Just really wanted to see if the 45 was going to be enough power, and it is. Leaps right up on plane and goes plenty fast (for now ;) ).

Re:'59 American Marc Stardust 7 years 2 months ago #130021

Got the new switch panel in, and cleaned up the electrical. Got rid of all the wire nuts :silly:
Attachments:

Re:'59 American Marc Stardust 7 years 1 month ago #130502

So I took the "Bat Boat" out for the longest cruise yet today. Completely around the city of Cape Coral to the South and up the west side to my buddies house on the northside, about 3 hours (a 3 hour tour) one way. He has his boat on a lift and needed me to help him install a transducer. Figured it would be easiest to do from my boat... hey, any excuse to go for a boat ride :)
Here's a pic of a 24 hour floating bait shop I passed on the way:

So then as I turn to head north up Matlache pass, a brand new, probably 60 foot yacht, goes flying past me. Now that pass goes up through some pretty skinny water and makes a few sharp turns around some sand bars, not really a place for that size boat. But we were at high tide and I figure the guy must know what he's doing... When I get to the drawbridge at Matlacha, he was parked sideways by the bridge. I figured he was anchored and taking the dingy to a nearby restaurant. But when I get close, he starts pulling out right at me. I stop, and even start backing up just as I see a woman on the back deck motioning me to stop. So I pull up and she asks me if I know what bridge this is... I answered the Matlacha bridge. Then she asks if they go under, would they be in the Intracoastal waterway? I replied that yes, they could get TO the Intracoastal by going that way. Then the captain (I use that term loosely) comes out, and says the bridge tender told him this wasn't the Intracoastal waterway. Really not believing what I'm hearing, I reply, NO it's not, but if you follow the channel on the other side of the bridge, it will take you there. And all I can think is this idiot doesn't have a chart? Surely to god this multi-million dollar yacht CAME equipped with a chartplotter. Have you no idea how to turn it on? Google map on a smartphone will show exactly where you are if nothing else... UNBELIEVABLE!!!!
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.374 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)