Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350

Re:1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350 7 years 7 months ago #127096

• 63LStriton
  • 63LStriton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
In working to get the title transferred on the boat I needed to get in touch with the executor of the estate for the PO. I was able to speak to him last night regarding the remaining documentation needed for title transfer and I learned a little more about the boat.

Mechanical

- new lower unit in last 10 years
- rebuilt water pump and impeller (guess its good I didn't toss the old one!!)
- Carbs and fuel pumps rebuilt in last 5 years.
- Tilt and trim rebuilt about 5 years ago with all new 0-rings and pump service.

Overall

- He said it had been 3-4 years since it was run
- He said that most of his family spent time water skiing behind the boat, and they had a lot of good times on the boat in the Minocqua area
- He indicated that the boat topped out at 40-45 when trimmed out. (So I am close on the engine tune!!)
- He mentioned that he has a bunch of manuals and other documents related to the boat that he will package up and send to me with the document required for the title transfer.

It was neat to learn a little of the backstory on the PO. I tracked down the executor / son through finding his Dad's obituary online. Sounded like a cool guy - into Scouting, boating, and shooting!! It was also nice to speak to his son and hear about the time spent on the boat with the family. Makes it seem as though the project was meant to go to another family for caretaking through the next generation. I told him that we will take great care of their family's boat, and also provided him with a link to this topic on FG so they can watch the progress. I think he was happy to hear that it was going to a good home.

I have seen the stories about current owners taking their restored boats back to the PO and taking them for a ride. I didn't get that opportunity, but it was cool talking to his son about family memories with the Marlin. Can't wait to make some family memories of my own with the Monkeys!! :) :kiss: :lol:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

Re:1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350 7 years 6 months ago #127298

• 63LStriton
  • 63LStriton's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Took the Marlin out this last Sat and had Cal meet me at the launch to help figure out the issue with it dying when switching into gear. It was idling fine with minimal need to make any additional carb adjustments, but still dying when shifting into gear. I think that we have determined that it is with the shift / throttle cable sync, and the fact that the engine is not getting any gas when it is going into gear. If I gave it some gas with the gear change it seemed to do OK.

I messed around with the sync yesterday and I think that I am closer with the timing on the cables. Need to drop it in the water again to confirm and fine tune.

Ran it across the Bay and back in some fairly good chop. Runs well and really handles the water. Does seem like it drinks gas pretty quick!! I know these old 2 stroke engines are thirsty, but how long should I expect from a 6 gallon tank at WOT? I would say that I had most of a 6 gallon tank when I started the 15 minute drive across the Bay, and I noticed when we were half way back that the tank was almost dry. Good think I had packed another 5 gallons of gas!!

Remember - There's always room for one more project!! (not really, my garage is full!!)

1963 Lone Star Triton w/ 1979 55 hp Johnson (soon 1963 Merc 850!!!)
1968 Lone Star Mustang w/1974 70 hp Evinrude
1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350
1980 Glastron GT-150 w/1977 115 hp Johnson ( soon 1977 Merc...

Re:1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350 7 years 6 months ago #127358

• ed-mc
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 113
On older 2-strokes, hp-rated at the crankshaft, divide the HP by 10 to determine WOT GPH.

Your 1350 will burn 13.5 gallons per hour, mas o menos. That wasn't so bad back in the Eighties when I had one on a 16' Sidewinder and gas was cheap, but today it does tend to get rather expensive!

BTW the most economical cruise speed is when the distributor has advanced to its timing stop, but the carbs aren't all the way open yet.

If you were to look at how much fuel is going thru each carb's throat when the butterflies are wide open, you'd be amazed!

That being said, if you're actually using way more than 13.5 GPH at constant WOT, something is amiss with the tuning, timing, carbs or maybe even fuel pump diaphragm leaking a bit.

BTW if the engine is lugging you'll get poor fuel economy and possible piston detonation.

The 1350 should be propped to achieve 5500 rpm at WOT, and in my experience is quite happy to rev right up to 6000.

Time to check max spark advance and work on that tach wiring!

Re:1974 Marlin with 1971 Merc 1350 7 years 6 months ago #127365

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Mark, Distance across the bay is 8 to 10 miles one way from the river entrance depending on where you are heading. Add that you were bucking a strong north east wind and 2 to 3 foot breaking waves and it will suck up gas. I would equal that to pulling tubers or skiers at wot.
That day I just stayed parallel to the seas heading to the GB harbor and kept rps @ 3g. Burned about 1 1/2 gallons. Had the stereo blasting to keep up with the rockin' and rollin' of the boat. :laugh:

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6675 guests and one member online