Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: are 1st real boat love the look

are 1st real boat love the look 11 years 10 months ago #62816

hi to all are 1st boat and new to your site ,it was sold to us as a 1958 low mile dorsett LOL ,i,m trying to find as much info as we can it seems to be 14ft not sure what model it would be,we are looking for a few small things any info u could offer would be great we will post new pics as we clean her up and get her in the water ,,,, thanxs dave&crystal

we dig the low CF number

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:are 1st real boat love the look 11 years 10 months ago #62817

Welcome to the site Dave & Crystal. Looks like you have a 1958 Dorsett Belmount Runabout. If you check in the FG libary under Dorsett you will find out abit about your boat. It looks in pretty good shape as it sits. If the motor has not been run in the last couple of yrs you might want to put in a new impeller and check the fuel lines out. As for the boat itself just check for soft spots in the floor and see if there is any flexing of the transom by yanking back and down on the motor really hard. If there is alot of flexing you may be looking at a new transom. Hopefully it is ok. Keep us posted on your progress and be sure to include pics. Have fun, Skip.

Re:are 1st real boat love the look 11 years 10 months ago #62819

nice boat,the motor i think is a 1959 golden jubilee,a sought after motor,it a 50 year anniversary model ,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:are 1st real boat love the look 11 years 10 months ago #62820

thanxs skip for the info , we are trying to get use to the site so we will keep looking around would this be a base model ? as a few pics i have seen and googled some have side trim or chrome and some more color as this one shows no side chrome or were it would have been ,also looking for a side dorsett chrome badge as one ear is broke off of it , also looking for seating info if it would have had a rear seat across the back as we would like to put one in we really dig it and now from a old car restoration back ground we are going boat crazy!!!!! lol chasing a small glass boat now that has rear wings as my buddy told me after seeing this one ,wish me luck ,,,,,,,,,,,,,we saw one on pawn stars not long ago and really like the look ,,,,, also are boats kept and sold and traded or parted out like early cars are there just boat hoarders with barns full of parts??????? how do u date the motor is this one close to the age of the boat? thanxs again d&c

Re:are 1st real boat love the look 11 years 10 months ago #62822

thanxs john for the info we like the look of the motor as its rich looking and has good color and shape , its very clean inside when u pull the cover we were told we are the 3rd owners as the orig owner had it till 08 then sold it to the guy we bought it from he used it the first year he got it then it was just stored ,its very dry and solid we took some wax to it and it will shine soon,,,,, thanxs again d&c

I have the sister version... 11 years 10 months ago #62852

• Eduardo
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
...well I used to until I gave her to my nephew; it's still in the family though. Mine was a '58 Dorsett El Dorado. You have the open cockpit where the El Dorado has a walk thru center deck. If you're looking for fins, the '58 Dorsett El Dorado is one of two Dorsett boats that had fins on them. The other is a '58 El Rey, and only in '58. I don't see many '58 Dorsett El Dorado or '58 Dorsett El Rey around.

Congrats on you newly acquired glassic. You'll like the Dorsett and how it rides. We took ours to many places up and down the state. I may have pictures of an original '58 Dorsett Belmont with the back bench. Let me look for it.

Also, I see your boat is registerd in California. Where about are you? Check us out on www.GoldenStateGlassics.com . Calfifornia glassheads would love to here from you.

One more thing, if you want to see video of the '58 Dorsett El Dorado, in YouTube, enter DudeInCatalina. You'll see a few.

Eduardo
Attachments:

Re:are 1st real boat love the look 11 years 10 months ago #62898

HI Eduardo, thanxs for the info i will look up the site and see if i can find more info these little boats remind me of collecting vw's in days past they seem to be a lot of fun i really like the walk throw that u posted that's very cool looking for a cruzer this one we just got will work great for us on the lakes around us ,we can fish out of this one with the open floor plan thanxs again D&C

Re:are 1st real boat love the look 11 years 10 months ago #62991

had some time to work on the family cruzer ,did a re-coat on the floor used a deck coating from home depot i like how it worked and laid down also cleaned up some old wiring and mounted some new parts its getting close for a first float with us ,can some one offer some advise i want to shine up the blue but it seems to soak up any thing i put on it and it dulls out ,also fired up the motor and all is good sounds great and things seam to work as they should no funny noises when i put it in gear F or R, thanxs again for any info dave&crystal pics soon of it on the water with the wife! that should be a great pic stay tune!LOL

Re:are 1st real boat love the look 11 years 10 months ago #63004

You have done a great job cleaning up your project there. I like the floor treatment that you used on it . It looks reallt good. As for the shinnig up the fiberglass there is a hundred different ways to try and bring back the old shine.Some can be hard and costly or cheap, easy and fast. It will just depend on how you want it to turn out. If you want a good fast shine fairly cheap you can pick up a container of Turtle wax rubbing compond and have a go at it with that. Just be sure to use enough water so as not to get into the gel coat. if you have a cheap polisher it really helps. It just takes a little longer by hand.I have used this when I am just trying to clean up boats to sell. There will be others along here that will also have some great ideas and will be able to help you out also. So have fun and keep up the great work, Skip.

Re:are 1st real boat love the look 11 years 10 months ago #63008

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I kept a faded red Larson Sea Lion looking fairly good for years simply by coating it liberally with armor-all twice a summer. LOL

Id say you and your boat are almost ready to go have fun on the water!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7305 guests and no members online