• Page:

TOPIC: Preping to chrome

Preping to chrome 12 years 1 month ago #56448

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I am preparing my Glastron parts that need rechroming and could use some suggestions. The emblem in the middle is in rough shape. I have already removed a lot of stuff from it, but there is a lot left to do. It is basic pot metal. So far, I have been using sandpaper (by hand) and a scratch awl. Any thoughts or suggestions on how to get this cleaned up without damaging it (obviously)?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Preping to chrome 12 years 1 month ago #56450

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Tudor. There is a guy set up in a trailer right next to a store that I frequent who refurbishes chrome wheels and such. I'll show him a pic of your emblem the next time I'm there and see what he says. Short of that Dremmel tools come with a pretty good variety of sanding and grinding tips for their machine. Home Depot sells them every day. Good luck.
shipster

Re:Preping to chrome 12 years 1 month ago #56454

Shipster has a good idea. It will save you some time. I'm not sure what you want to do. Do you want to re-chrome that one your working on or have another recast? If you want to clean it fast, miniblast is the best. It's sand blasting with baking soda. It will remove the crud without ruining your part. Then use a filler like liquid steel(epoxy), sand then re-chrome. Make sure it's the epoxy that can withstand the chromium process. If not you can re-cast.
Craig

Re:Preping to chrome 12 years 1 month ago #56458

• thetudor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Shipster, great idea on the Dremel. I only think about it for cutting. (I carve the Halloween pumpkin with it). Have to go take a look at accessories.

I should be able to save it. I'll talk to the chromer (whoever that may end up being) about which filler to use

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Preping to chrome 12 years 1 month ago #56464

You might want to check with your plater before doing to much, it may be to far gone for electro-plate. A friend that did plating told me "It needs to look like chrome before it's plated". I've also heard old "pot metal" does not re-plate well. I've been looking into one of these systems www.sprayonchrome.com/Gallery.html .

Fingernail emery boards work nice on small surfaces and cheap, both the solid and foam core.

Humm that like is not working try www.sprayonchrome.com/ click on the Spectra Chrome side. The other is 24K gold if thats what you might want.

Re:Preping to chrome 12 years 1 month ago #56471

It is best to take the part to the plate & have the chrome removed before doing anything. This is a chemical - electrical process, no grinding or sanding is required. Then the parts can be evaluated. Zinc potmetal is full of impurities that corrode /rot from moisture and time. There often is rot deep inside the casting. this often will return some time after the part is re plated. Parts like this are nearly impossible to restore. The degree of sanding required to make a smooth surface for plating will ruin the hard lines and definition of the parts. I'd rather have corroded emblems on my boat than have replated emblems that have been sanded into Smurf shapes. As mentioned, the best results will be from having the emblems re cast. Keep the originals as sharp as can be, then use these for the template. The new parts can be cleaned up. Do them in bronze or brass NOT potmetal again. Contact Larry at Vintage Boatworks in Bakersfield CA - he is doing a lot of re-casts & the results are very good.

Re:Preping to chrome 12 years 1 month ago #56475

• thetudor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
It is going to take a lot of work to get this looking good. I have been worried about the "smurfing effect" but didn't have the right words to express it. Kind of why I was using the scratch awl; try and keep sharp edges. I bought two replacement Glastron emblem castings from Larry at Vintage Boatworks. Maybe I should contact him about this as well. Good thoughts all. Keep em coming.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Preping to chrome 12 years 1 month ago #56478

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Check with Kevin Mueller "Boats in the Belfry " He has a Glastron Sea Flight on his parts page he has some castings that he has made and is a real helpful guy . Those pot metal emblems are hard to plate because just like Cat Fink said it has to be perfectly clean to come out looking right . Plating will show all the scratches and imperfections in between the letters. My Chrome guy always says " Garbage in - Chromed Garbage out " Kevin had a bunch of scripts made and he did some for my Skagit a while back Wasn't cheap but worth it . He might have just what you need already done On his web site he has a few cast already done and does show a Glastron for sale - might have the Seaflite also ? - Good Luck

boatsinthebelfry.com/swapnsell.html
Attachments:

Preping to chrome 4 years 3 months ago #141586

How did this turn out? I'm trying to produce a 3D model of the SKIflite logo for my '58 and then cast it in aluminum. Very grateful to have a nice hi-rez pic of how Glastron designed these. Also wondering if you could give me the dimensions.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5675 guests and no members online