Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Marine Tex for a gouge repair

Marine Tex for a gouge repair 4 years 5 months ago #141252

Hi All. re: '84 Century Resorter

I replaced and repositioned the bunks on the Century and found that one of the old bunk carriage bolts had worked through the wood ang gouged the hull :( . Luckily, it looks much, much worse than is actually is.

The actual scar is maybe 1/8" deep, just through the gelcoat and while you can see fibers, it is not through that later. There is also some cracking in the gelcoat and the area immediately around it is depressed a little bit. The scar itself is maybe 3" max across.

I am leaning towards filling the area with Marine Tex, tinted to match the cream colored hull.

2 questions:
1) do you experts agree that Marine Tex is appropriate or should I continue to look for someone to do an actual fiberglass patch?
2) how is Marine Tex to work with for a relatively skilled....accountant.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Marine Tex for a gouge repair 4 years 5 months ago #141291

Hmmm well you could go the Marine Tex route, I've used it for small gouges, not as big as yours though. I'll let the folks who are more smarter than I am on glass jump in here.

Bob

Marine Tex for a gouge repair 4 years 5 months ago #141292

I could also move the bunks back and forget I ever saw the scar....:-)

I thought of using a layer of glass but the scar isn't that deep and I don't want to gouge it out more since the exposed layer doesn't look damaged. I was just going to use a Dremel w/ a wire brush to clean up any loose fibers in the gouge, then use a very small round but to open up the cracks before I smear on the putty.

Thanks!

Marine Tex for a gouge repair 4 years 5 months ago #141303

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
My opin. I would not let it like it is. Sorta like an open wound needs a bandage. Very least get some two part epoxy and smooth it in. I've bought boats that had JB Weld in areas like that with just a smidgeon of white spray over the top. The stuff was so hard I had to grind it down, it never let loose.
www.homedepot.com/p/PC-Products-PC-11-1-2-lb-Paste-Epoxy-080115/100649632?mtc=Shopping-B-F_D24-B-D24-Multi-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-All_Paint&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D24-B-D24-Multi-Multi-NA-Feed-PLA-NA-NA-All_Paint-71700000034373191-58700003950518085-92700049379405441&msclkid=a24d779a4fc117280dc82a5887cd1baa&gclid=CPS1hpLW1eUCFVPegQodg1wH4g&gclsrc=ds

Marine Tex for a gouge repair 4 years 5 months ago #141309

I'm going to fix it, I just cannot leave that scar there.

I'll try the Marine Tex epoxy, probably tinted, but Almond spray paint is a very close match to the hull color so I may just use the MT as is, sand it smooth and do the touch up. Only I will know the patch is there.

Thanks. First snow tomorrow...I have a while to think about this.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

Gator 9" wheels Wanted
( / Wanted)

noimage
04-24-2024

1969 Stern Craft Boat 19'
( / Boats)