• Page:

TOPIC: Turning glass into wood

Turning glass into wood 4 years 7 months ago #140565

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Has anyone else done a conversion like this other than me?
This was an old Shell Lake "executive" that was in such bad shape something had to be done to save it. 100% Honduran mahogany.

I'm going to do something similar to a StarCraft that I have stripped down now.
0806191501a.jpg[/attachment[attachment=52819]0806191501a.jpg[/attachment
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Turning glass into wood 4 years 7 months ago #140569

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I've considered it but never done it. Just my opinion but I would have laid the planking with white seams. On this next boat, consider trimming it heavily ionstead of a wholesale covering...maybe too much of a good thing? Also, consider African mahogany. Personally, I like it better...harder, much more interesting grain and a LOT cheaper.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Turning glass into wood 4 years 7 months ago #140571

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yup, gotta agree. The boards were beveled and filled but the stain sorta blended that all together:(
Honest ta god I tried to get the African mahogany but no one around my area had any, I did use African on my Century Sabre. It was easier to work with. The Honduran was brittle, would split real easy.
Amazon has the 5200 for $16. and change for the 10oz tube so I'll be ordering a bunch of that. I'll put a "projects" posting up but it'll be far and few between.
Always welcoming your input since you is the mahogany man.
Everything was screwed and glued and then used 10.000,000 bungs.
Attachments:

Turning glass into wood 4 years 7 months ago #140584

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I think ten million bungs is overkill. 1 million should have been enough. Yes, keep us posted with photos. Tell me how you plan to do your seams.

"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Turning glass into wood 4 years 1 month ago #141837

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Been over six months since I last posted on this. Did a little work on this '76 StarCraft. After trial and error, mostly error I went with a nostalgic theme. Big mistake! Found out it's beaucoup harder to make a boat look old than to just restore it. Since this honey was going to the crusher when I picked it up. Basics...new floor, new transom etc were a given.
This is going to be my final rebuild, being age 75 it's a little harder to crawl around these relics. I decided to clean out some of my inventory from the shelves. Old spare parts, old wood, old brightwork, old controls blah blah. 98% recycled junk including wood. Some ash from my back yard....thank you emerald ash borer. A little pine, poplar, aspen, and oak.
the oldest part I think is the Morse controls probably late 40's. The only things new are the aft nav lights, USB port, flooring, and material for the seat cushions.
Ten inches of snow last night but sunshine today, 2/18 so it was a good time to see just how bad it looks in daylight.
Aptly named, "Old Wood, Spare Parts". Although I could have named it "30 footer" for those who know what it means.
Attachments:

Turning glass into wood 4 years 1 month ago #141838

Looks great Cal. I am right there with you about it getting harder crawling around in these things. I am only 62 but the climbing in and out of a delivery truck for 44 years is starting to catch up with me. You got 10 inches yesterday? We only got an inch or two. I don't know about you guys, but I am about ready for spring.
Bill

Turning glass into wood 4 years 1 month ago #141839

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hey Bill, We got the brunt of that "trace" that was predicted. Levels were all over the place, Green Bay said they got about 4" I definitely got 9-10. Look at the second picture on the sides of my driveway and you can see where the blower cut away.
Can't wait for warmer weather myself. You my friend have a reason to step into that truck, just look what awaits you inside
Attachments:

Turning glass into wood 4 years 1 month ago #141840

questions ? how thick were the deck boards ? The center boards and gunwhales ?
BTW.... it looks AWESOME !!!

Turning glass into wood 4 years 1 month ago #141841

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Chuck. Hard to tell from those original pictures but the bow was caved in about 3". Probably from something being stored on it for years. Under the bow is about 6" of flotation foam so I wasn't going to disturb that. I installed framing over the caved in area. Glued with 3M5200 and then screwed into the old deck. Then cut 1/4" thick strips 2" wide beveled on the edges. pre fit them and glued and screwed them to the frames again using 5200. Used "great stuff" foam to fill in the gap between the boards and bow. Had to do some 'adjusting' cuz the foam raised a few boards, ie, pound the crap out of them to knock 'em back down. Then palm sanded the whole thing with 150 grit to even it out. To answer the original question the boards are probably less than 1/4" thick but with the foam underneath you can actually stand on the deck.
The floor framing was 1 1/2" wood covered with peeling glass, no foam flotation except for a few small areas where the back to back seats were screwed in. Replaced with 1/2" plywood and then covered with 1/8" black fiberglass sheeting.
The gunwhale cover boards are standard 3/4" stock glued and screwed to the old fiberglass. The inside side walls are 1/8" luan sealed with Total Boat sealer...I don't really like that stuff but had it on hand and then stained with a Minwax mix of red, brown, and others (whatever was on the shelf). All surfaces are "varnished" with Helmsman poly. The dark trim is gloss, the strips and interior are satin.
Attachments:

Turning glass into wood 4 years 1 month ago #141843

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nice work, Cal! It's interesting how I would have done things differently to achieve the same results. Is that mahogany? It looks like poplar...must be the lighting. The cover boards were cut from one piece? They must have been 12" wide. Since the planking was a little less than 1/4", how did you manage to install bungs? Why didn't you shitcan that eggbeater and drop a V8 in there. I want answers!

"Success makes...

Turning glass into wood 4 years 1 month ago #141844

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Copy and paste this link
/www.bing.com/videos/search?q=you+want+answers&view=detail&mid=4B304DFA1566DCBFD60B4B304DFA1566DCBFD60B&FORM=VIRE

No mahogany, no bungs, just old wood and filler. That's why it's painted. This one is not for sale anyway, just going to be my daily driver/worm soak-er. As I said.....a 30 footer. Looks good from 30 feet away.
covers were 8" from the windshield back. the bow area were 12", They are spliced by the windshield.
Don't have a spare V8 sitting around otherwise I probably would.
I do have a spare 140hp that I might drop on it this summer if the 85hp won't at least hit 40/45mph.

Turning glass into wood 4 years 1 month ago #141846

Good choice on the Crown Royal Black. That Is the thing that keeps me going. I aim to keep everyone well supplied.
Bill

Turning glass into wood 4 years 1 month ago #141847

I'm envious of your woodworking skills.... I looked at a 'glass Resorter that someone had done a similar customization to, but went with a stock one. I have thought of doing this to an aged 'glass boat, but I see the work involved and remind myself that I am a finance guy :lol: :lol:

Beautiful work sir, my only disagreement is that this is probably much nicer than a "30 footer"

Turning glass into wood 4 years 1 month ago #141849

Real nice work Cal,

I met a boat-builder at the Geneva Lakes show that laminates his fiberglass decks and hulls with wood using a vacuum system.

I didn’t meet the guy until the end of the show when we both had our boats out of the water were getting them ready to trailer. His boat was amazing and apparently was wood. He described how he used a vacuum laminating process to create contemporary classics.

www.cherubiniyachts.com

Then the guy came over and looked at my boat and then he looked at me and says “Hey you’re the guy in the video” He was from New Jersey and in trying to decide on ACBS shows he picked Geneva Lake after viewing the Blackhawk site. He paid a nice compliment saying the Glasspar video made it look like a fun show so he decided to come out and drink some beer with us.

www.blackhawkacbs.com/

Thanks,
Terry
Attachments:

Turning glass into wood 4 years 1 month ago #141850

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks for the video Terry. Really need something to get through the winter blahs.
That guy does some fantastic work! I'm just a shade tree guy ya know. shallow pockets and use what I have laying around and a smattering of old tools. Works for me though. It's the love of boats/boating that keeps me going.
I'm to the point now where I really don't GAS about opins, just good advice from the people who been there/done that.

Turning glass into wood 4 years 1 month ago #141854

Holy crap how the hell did I miss this thread and not comment on it early on? I guess I'm loosing it! Well can't loose what do don't have in the first place! That was for you Jan, head you off. lol

Looks great Cal, outstanding work as usual. I knew Jan would ask why she's so under powered! I have to admit I'm getting really sore when done working on the resorter at the end of the day. Unfortunately this damn rotator cuff surgery is going to put behind about 6 months! Slow and steady I guess.

Bob

Turning glass into wood 4 years 1 month ago #141857

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Slow and steady Bob and you will get your shoulder back. My repaired shoulder works way better than the bad one before surgery. Good luck with it all. Can’t wait to see Cal’s in person. Terry, you always have good stuff to share and learn from.

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat