Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: NY registration question

NY registration question 4 years 9 months ago #140313

Hello all- have a neighbor whose father in law had an original 1935 lyman. Boat was mothballed about 30 years ago and neighbor and wife broke it out last year and had it redone top to bottom. They want to register it , but Hull id is gone, and there are no longer registration records for it, except the will her father had which left her the boat .

Does anyone have any advice on registering an old boat with limited paperwork ? I figured someone here has had to have dealt with this issue . Any help greatly appreciated !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

NY registration question 4 years 9 months ago #140315

I've done it in NJ. Annoying process that'll cost about 300 bucks but it's doable if you stay organized. In NJ it was called "improper evidence of ownership" procedure. Just call the DMV and ask them for the packet that you have to fill out to get it done. Usually it's easier to call the extension on for "special titles" directly so try to find that number before you call.

NY registration question 4 years 9 months ago #140316

Thank you !

NY registration question 4 years 9 months ago #140318

I registered a Shepherd once in NY. I bought it from a guy, who got it from a guy, from his friend... blah, blah, blah !
I had to call multiple NY county DMV offices to find a sympathetic ear that sent me back to the LAST known registered owner.
I contacted that person to send me a bill of sale, and sent him 20 bucks for his trouble. Then I was finally able to register it.
Since your family owned it ? It may take some heart ache to do it ? But I lived in NY and it's a b*tch to register anything in NY, as you well know. If you can't do it thru NY. Register it thru another state as a home built. then transfer the registration to NY.
Anyway ? Do you have any old photos with the NY Registration number on it ? Also, I once owned A 53 Lyman islander that was a basket case. As I stripped it, as with a heavy heart I cut it up, I noticed Lyman craftsman stamped or wrote in pencil the hull number on a lot of pieces.... under seats, engine doghouse, back side of the fore deck panel.
Don't give up, it's going to be a PITA to do it, but it can be done.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.178 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 8012 guests and 2 members online