Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Carter-N gasoline streaming out side hole?

Carter-N gasoline streaming out side hole? 4 years 10 months ago #139625

• shacomm
  • shacomm's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Last night I fired up the Flying Scott after having the carbs apart this winter. To my dismay, I had a stream of gas coming out of the side of my middle carb. Over the winter I disassembled the triple Carter-N carbs soaked and cleaned everything and replaced the gaskets, inlet seats and needles from a NOS Lovell rebuild kit. I shut her down before the barbeque started and since it was late I cleaned everything up and closed up for the night. Does anyone know what caused my stream?

First, I didn't know anything could come out of those holes. They look like they are connected to the float bowl and the face of the carb. Also what really curious is the TOP carb has a brass rod coming out of the hole and the middle and bottom (not pictured) carbs just have a hole. Can anyone explain what this is/does? I'm guessing one of the Inlet needles is stuck open and will take it apart to take a look tonight.

For the troubleshooting, the motor didn't want to start and I fired it with some starting fluid into the faces of the carbs. I'm guessing because the carbs were flooded. On the upside, I've got lots of pressure the fuel pump was pushing an impressive stream of gas out of the side of the carburetor.

I scored a pair of these NOS Lovell rebuild kits on the Bay... my idle always been a little rough at low speed and the motor is a gas guzzler because I need to run the idle high. I decided to thoroughly clean the carbs and replace the internal bits hoping to improve the fuel delivery.

Not much to these carbs... but I obviously fouled something up. :)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1960 Dorsett Belmont w/ 60 HP Flying Scott aka \"Whisky Tango\" dorsettbelmont.blogspot.com/ Read my Jerky Blog at JerkyAficionado.com

Carter-N gasoline streaming out side hole? 4 years 10 months ago #139626

well this may help or not but my merc did the same thing and come to find out my carb floats were made of a fiber material and it was swollen in the open portion of the bowl so gas was going out a similar hole on the side and we replaced well joe replaced the floats and everything cleared up. i went back and saw where you had the metal floats but it still sounds like the flow is stuck

billy

Carter-N gasoline streaming out side hole? 4 years 10 months ago #139627

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
At first blush I would guess your middle carb float is stuck or you missed the little hanger spring or pin on the needle. Just pull the float bowl off and see if parts are sitting on the bottom.

Carter-N gasoline streaming out side hole? 4 years 10 months ago #139629

• shacomm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Sabre - One of my Metering Rod's pin & spring were a little suspect (looked homemade) and were a little finicky putting together. That's an easy one to check to make sure the Metering Rod is moving up and down properly.

Billy Bob - That makes a lot of sense if the Float is stuck/allowing the fuel inlet to stay open the Fuel Pump would keep shoving fuel into bowl and its got to go somewhere, so I guess out the side would be the easy outlet.

I'm going to pull it apart tonight and let you know what's in that float bowl... at least it's not the bottom carb that one is buried. Thanks!

1960 Dorsett Belmont w/ 60 HP Flying Scott aka \"Whisky Tango\" dorsettbelmont.blogspot.com/ Read my Jerky Blog at JerkyAficionado.com

Carter-N gasoline streaming out side hole? 4 years 10 months ago #139631

• shacomm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Yep... stuck float. I guess thats an "overfill" hole. She's up and running. Not purring like a kitten yet... but getting close.

Carter-N gasoline streaming out side hole? 4 years 10 months ago #139633

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
That's great. Now a little tweaking and your good for the summer.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.326 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)