Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Advice on what pieces to save on 1961 crestliner

Advice on what pieces to save on 1961 crestliner 5 years 1 month ago #138996

I purchased a '61 Crestliner with a Johnson 100hp Golden meteor a year ago with the hopes of fixing it up, but my mechanically inclined help has been busy with his own projects and it's time for me to let this one go and get the space under my carport back. I tried to sell the boat, but there is no local interest.

I figure I can get a better return on my investment by parting out the boat to others looking for vintage pieces. My question for any of you is which parts of the boat I should save before I send it to the graveyard. I'd hate to leave something that classic boat restorers are often looking for out of ignorance. Thanks for any help you can give me.

I'll post pics as soon as I can figure out how.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Advice on what pieces to save on 1961 crestliner 5 years 1 month ago #138998

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Wondering why you have two bow lights. Anyway, keep them both, all the cleats, the steering wheel and bezel and of course, the motor...and trailer. All can be sold on Ebay, probably for more than you would have gottten for the complete boat. I'll buy the "rocket" bow light if your price is reasonable. My email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: cnealok

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Advice on what pieces to save on 1961 crestliner 5 years 1 month ago #139000

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Ditto of what Jan said. Don't know what you paid for the boat et al but if you can break even you'll be ok. A used trailer will probably fetch around $250. if it's usable and not all rusted. That rocket bow light is a quick seller for a good price on ebay, (sorry Jan) the other bow light is worth something especially since it has a burgee flag hole. The cleats/chocks etc. are a dime a dozen but still saleable if you post then with free shipping. If you remove the steering wheel and sell it as a package with the motor attachments and pulleys you'll probably get $50. but shipping is going to cost so add a shipping charge. Any gauges like amp, speedometer, dashboard plaques are good ebay sellers. Search ebay to see what others are asking and go a few bucks lower with free shipping. The motor, depending on it's condition could go anywhere from $200. if it needs lots of work to $550+ if it runs and the wires are good, The control box/levers another $50. + shipping. If you have time, strip all the aluminum off and recycle. At today's prices you'll get around $18. at a scrap metal place. If you're lucky your local area dump will take the glass hull but it has to be stripped, no gas tanks. Most drop off places charge by the pound so if you can pull all the weight off and put it in your weekly pick-up you'll be ahead of the game. I've already cut up entire boats and put the pieces in weekly pickups over 4 or 5 weeks.....just sayin'.....

If you have a county dump that you can haul to you're even better off.
Trailers and motors would be best posted on your local Craigslist.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: cnealok

Advice on what pieces to save on 1961 crestliner 5 years 1 month ago #139004

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I've managed to get the bow lights and horns off and I'm working on getting them cleaned up. I have no idea why there were two bow lights, but for my current purposes I guess it's a good problem to have.

Advice on what pieces to save on 1961 crestliner 5 years 1 month ago #139007

All I know is that I have seen the "dual light" bow light go for big bucks on Ebay.

Marty
Keeper of Pawpaws Boat
1962 Span America
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6632 guests and 2 members online