Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Upper windshield for a '59 Dorsett Catalina

Upper windshield for a '59 Dorsett Catalina 5 years 4 months ago #138022

First, let me introduce myself. My name for this site is DorsettBill, so as you may guess, my name is Bill. I am no stranger to boat restorations, having been "messing around with boats" for the past fifty years or so. I just started this latest project, a '59 Catalina, last weekend and am looking forward to having it on the water next summer. The boat is in typical shape for its age, with lots of rotten wood to be replaced and lots of fiberglass to be repaired and painted. But my biggest problem is the lack of the upper windshield. All I have up there are the mounting points - no windshield, no frame.
Can anyone help me out on this? I have already written to "The Plastics Guy" for a quote, but I was hoping someone on the forum might be able to steer me to an old used one.
Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Upper windshield for a '59 Dorsett Catalina 5 years 4 months ago #138025

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Bill, glad to have you join us. Good luck with your search, I'd imagine those upper windshields are probably getting quite hard to come by. Hopefully someone will be able to help you out, we have quite a few Dorsett folks hanging around here from time to time.

Mark

Upper windshield for a '59 Dorsett Catalina 5 years 4 months ago #138055

I have a glass windshield from a 1960 El Dorado that might work for your Catalina, It's looks to be the same as the one on my friends 61 San Juan. It measures 64 1/2 wide at the mount points and is 19 1/2 tall.
Attachments:

Upper windshield for a '59 Dorsett Catalina 5 years 4 months ago #138077

Hi BoaterJohn -
Thanks for the response. It sure looks good in the picture, but unfortunately, the imprint of the original windshield on the deck of my Catalina measures 57 3/4" from side to side. And, it went right to the edges of the deck, so there is no room to fudge.
Again, thanks for the try - your windshield looks really nice.

Upper windshield for a '59 Dorsett Catalina 4 years 10 months ago #139630

• shacomm
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have a spare plastic windshield from my 60 Belmont. It's 57-1/2" across. (I replaced it with a glass windshield from a Catalina.) It needs new plastic (it has a couple of cracks) but the frame is likely what you need when you go visit the plastic guy. If you are interested, I'm in SoCal.

1960 Dorsett Belmont w/ 60 HP Flying Scott aka \"Whisky Tango\" dorsettbelmont.blogspot.com/ Read my Jerky Blog at JerkyAficionado.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat
( / Engines)