Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New here (Dorsett Catalina)

New here (Dorsett Catalina) 6 years 5 months ago #134624

Hi all

I just picked up a great ‘60 Dorsett Catalina. I love it to pieces already. Took her out yesterday for a shakedown and she handles beautifully, is just the right size and turns heads everywhere she goes. Have to get a new windshield made and spruce her up but she’s got all the important (to me) original exterior goodies. Unfortunately the PO decided it would be a good idea to bolt the seat pedestals to the wood cabin deck with lag bolts and no sealer so of course the wood rotted out and i’ll have to deal with that this winter. Is it an involved project to replace the cockpit deck? Doesn’t look too bad. I’m worried that if the seat installation is any indication of the way he goes about fixing things that I won’t be psyched when I see the stringers, but keeping my fingers crossed. Here’s a snap of us putting in yesterday
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

New here (Dorsett Catalina) 6 years 5 months ago #134626

Also, i’d Like to get a kicker motor (the boat has a mount already) i’m wondering what size to get. I’m thinking 5-6 hp. I realize that it depends on conditions and so forth but if any Catalina owners have any input, i’d appreciate it. This would be strictly for emergency’s to get me home if the ‘90s 48 Evinrude dies on the water.

New here (Dorsett Catalina) 6 years 5 months ago #134627

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Replacing the stringers, foam and decking is no small job. Just be sure to use white oak for the stringers and marine ply. Some guys use treated lumber for stringers...not my first choice but usually better then what they used originally. Be sure to incorporate wooden blocks in the new framing to bolt down the seats. Seats just bolted to plywood don't last very long. Everything should be installed with copious 3M 5200.

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

New here (Dorsett Catalina) 6 years 5 months ago #134629

• asign
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
We ended up with a 9.9 kicker on our Glasspar Seafair sedan, with the cabin and our upper windshield, when the wind was blowing, hard for a smaller kicker to move it. We had an 80 lb thrust trolling motor before that didn't move it enough when it was windy. Not sure how a 3-5hp motor would have worked, but the 9.9 scoots it right along.

First, do no harm!
It's a lot easier to buy a boat than sell a boat.(Stole this from a member!)
All that work and hardware store mailbox letters for the hull? Tsk tsk..

New here (Dorsett Catalina) 6 years 5 months ago #134778

That's a really cool old boat!! Please post pics of your project if you tear out and repair the floor. I have to do the same thing, only I'm not really sure what I will find.... first boat project for me. Would be great to see how others tackle the job, and a closer look at the construction of the boat.

New here (Dorsett Catalina) 6 years 5 months ago #134807

Welcome aboard and great find!!!!!! I love those pocket cruisers.

Bob

New here (Dorsett Catalina) 6 years 5 months ago #134818

Just what I keep looking for. Nice!

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7830 guests and no members online