Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Fair value?

Fair value? 6 years 5 months ago #134590

Hello to all,

I'm new to the site. I have a 15' 1963 trailorboat. I've had it for about 15 years and have had it either under a carport or in the garage the whole time. I put a small 15 horse Honda on it just to get me around the lake to fish and it has run great. It's losing compression though because it is much too much boat for the motor. I'm considering selling it and wanted to see if I could get some honest opinions on what it might be worth. I'm wondering if it might be worth more to a true collector and I'm just not educated enough in them to know. I just can't afford a new motor so I'm thinking of letting it go.
I'd sure appreciate any opinions on what the true value of it might be. Be happy to provide more info and pictures if need be.

Thanks guys,
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fair value? 6 years 5 months ago #134598

• Nautilus
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 58
Losing compression has nothing to do with the size of the engine. That makes no sense. If you really are losing compression, then the engine will most likely need to be rebuilt. Based upon that and thr fact that your boat has no real collector value, I doubt that it is worth very much...maybe $500 if it has a trailer...at least that's all I would be willing to pay.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Johnny one niner

Mentor to the unenlightened!

"Never allow logic to interfere with a boat purchase." - J. S. Hadley
"Vintage quality beats new junk every time." - J. S. Hadley
"Anything supposed to do two things does both of them half-assed." - J. S. Hadley
"Success makes...

Fair value? 6 years 5 months ago #134601

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
John, unfortunately Jan is right. Unless the motor was mistreated there's probably nothing wrong with it. Just too small for the boat. A 40hp would probably fit best on that rig. On the other hand as far the boat is concerned it is what I would call a plain Jane glass. Nothing special to make it jump out as a collector. If it had fins or an unusual design the value would go up. You could probably divide it up, sell the boat and trailer as a package and pull the motor and controls and put them on Craigslist. You will get more if you split it up. The motor and controls along with a gas tank or two will probably fetch the $500. The boat and trailer another 300 maybe. Go to Kelly blue book boat section and sort out what you have for prices.
Here's another link that would help out
www.nadaguides.com/Boats

Fair value? 6 years 4 months ago #134606

Thank you guys! I appreciate the honesty. Actually talked with the shop yesterday and they can rebuild it for me for reasonable price so now I'm thinking of keeping it. Yes definitely not enough motor for the boat I have it on. It was one of those right time at the right place and got it for a good price so I snatched it up.
I have so much fun down at Havasu and Topock, on the Colorado river, in it I've had a real hard time deciding on keeping it or not.
Think I'll rebuild it and get a few more good river trips out of it and think it over again.

Thanks again guys!

Fair value? 6 years 4 months ago #134607

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Agree with those 2 previous posts. Another thought is if you still like the boat, like boating, fishing, etc...and if boat size fits your bodies of water and it isn’t rotting or needing lots of maintenance, then maybe consider selling the motor, controls and tank. Looks nice and should fit lots of smaller fishing boats and budgets... so then take that money and with lots of advice here and patience, get opinions on a range of 40 to 50 horse motors that would even be near your vintage or even 1970’s- 1980’s motors that have good track records. You might find one for a similar price you sold the Honda for. Often easier to find a boat, motor, trailer package to get the motor cheaper and then sell the boat and trailer. Or you get lucky and just find a friend who has the right motor that has been running good that is upsizing with bigger power and wants to sell. Lots of options...just depends on what you want big picture. It may not be worth much to sell as a classic, but if you want to stay into boating, it is lots less than a newer boat rig. Good luck whatever you decide to do.

Dr.Go!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.320 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt
03-27-2024

Homelie/Bearcat