TOPIC: Not classic boat.

Not classic boat. 6 years 5 months ago #134509

• dlatshaw
  • dlatshaw's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all!

So akapick is coming to get the PowerCat 18DC. Sold my Waverunner. And as you may know my MFG is up for sale too. Not in a hurry to sell that one though.

Sold all that to get a 2000 Chris-Craft 232 Sport Deck. Just needed something for the family that is a bit bigger and that I could get help from local mechanics if needed.

Now to my main question. Since this boat is only 17 years old is it out of line to ask questions about it here? Just wanted the community's input before I start posting about the boat.

Thanks!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
61 Power Cat 18DC Tahitian

Not classic boat. 6 years 5 months ago #134528

Deck boats look like fun. My wife keeps talking pontoon, but I gravitate towards the deck boats - at least they aren't a sea going stack of trash cans. (But honestly, modern pontoons aren't really bad boats)

Doesn't bother me if you ask, but hey, I'm new here.

Not classic boat. 6 years 5 months ago #134529

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks! I like this model of deck boat because of the wrap around windshield. Looks more like a dual console to me. Someone near me has a single windshield deck boat that has a catamaran hull.

Pontoons look like barges to me. At least my Chris-Craft has some cool lines on her, just no fins :(

Most of my questions have to do with having an I/O, I've always had outboards. So I'll post a few and if a moderator wants to PM me I won't be offended.

Also want to redo or clean the lining in the head compartment. It's a white bur bur type carpet with lots of staining.

In car years a classic is 20 years, so this is just 3 years shy!

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Not classic boat. 6 years 5 months ago #134530

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I have seen that Splender boats out of Indiana uses the cat hull under their deck boats and other models too. Gotta take care of family no matter what form your boating takes...as long as you keep boating. I sold a go fast boat 20 years ago to pave a driveway... took me 7 years to get back into boating so kids were 7, 9 and 11 before they got to boat. I wish I had not lost those early years with them. Swimming is fun, but adding boating, skiing and fishing was a bit more variety. Yours looks nice and fits your needs. I learned a lot from you when you posted about your twin cat rig, so I am sure people can still benefit from your I/O posts. Hope the stray cat found a good home. Paint it a classic color and add fins and you will have a Glassic twice the size of most... just kidding of course. At least if you ever have to tow-in a Glassic, you would speak the language and understand the passion of others. Just my half a cent thoughts.

Dr.Go!

Not classic boat. 6 years 5 months ago #134535

I know nothing about I/Os but I do know about carpet cleaning. A lot of the rental "Rug Doctor" type carpet cleaners have upholstery cleaning attachments that will reach into odd compartments. Start with a good carpet cleaner solution and you might be surprised how much it will take out, especially if you do it a couple times. extracting as much of the cleaning solution and then drying it well with a fan is key to preventing mold and mildew growth afterward. That's always the biggest issue with carpet cleaning inside boats - preventing mildew.

Not classic boat. 6 years 5 months ago #134556

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thanks Guys! We have a carpet cleaner for the house so I'll give that a go. I'll do a topic on it so others can see how it goes.

I still have the '68 MFG and doubt she'll sell anytime soon. So I'll have a classic for a while. It's nice having the 17 foot boat as an option. I can get that one into shallow water, compared to the Chris-Craft. And I'd like to keep it so when the girls are older they have a boat to use.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron

Not classic boat. 6 years 5 months ago #134561

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I ended up pulling my 1990 carpet since it was matted flat and looked really worn. Though I had vacuumed it, when I took it out, more sand was falling in the shop floor. Since I wanted to use it as a pattern for new carpet (and didn’t want sand contamination), I took it out in the snow to shake off. It seemed to take forever and I turned a ten foot square area of snow into tan beach sand. Crazy how much sand that retained. Since I had to remove a back seat to tear it out, I wound up finding a soft floor spot under where the seat bolted down. For me, replacement allowed me to fix that soft spot and inspect the rest. New carpet and new seats made the boat look 20 years newer... after also removing the haze from the gel coat. The rotted wood was black between the resin...screw holes that were never sealed and years of dripping wet waterskiers rotted that spot in the floor. Hope you have no mold and that carpet is good for saving. I can’t say it was too fun re-doing carpet since my rather large body would get jammed into places that were hard to reach. The joy of the reward of any clean up or detailng are all worth it when getting back on the water... when a strangers says is that boat new? ... and you reply it is 27 years old with 30 year old motor and then see their disbelief, it is all worth it for me. Lots of room for snacks on your rig and the ports potty for kids on a big day at the lake is priceless.

Dr.Go!

Not classic boat. 6 years 5 months ago #134581

• dlatshaw
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
On my rig the only the carpet I'm talking about is on the walls and ceiling of the head. I might just pull it all and replace too. There is some kind of backing, maybe sound deadening, behind the carpet and it's sagging.

There is also carpet lining the under seat storage areas. It is in good shape but I'll have to see if there is any wood under it. I was told that OMC era Chris-Craft didn't have any wood, but that's a lie! I've found plywood between the outer hull and the floor of the fiberglass insert. Just a flat horizontal piece between them. Maybe for rigidity?

I always loved taking my '68 to the launch and watching people be amazed as I backed in, the wife fired up the outboard in one shot and backed off the trailer. There'd be guys there with much newer boats futzing around trying to get their boats started! Might have to keep the MFG just so I can do that now and then.

Dan
68 MFG Chevron
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

1975 16ft Cobalt
( / Boats)

1975 16ft Cobalt