Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1962 or 63 HydroSwift

1962 or 63 HydroSwift 6 years 6 months ago #134233

My buddy gave me this 1962 Hydro-swift its a real barn find, his grandpa kept it under a car-port and wrapped up in a bunch of tarps and a boat cover. it looks like it has a mercruiser 1 stern drive I haven't found the engine id plate yet but the manufacture plate states its 100 hp, GM block.
it came with a buunch of cool vintage stuff swim wear, a vintage depth finder, a couple diffrent pitched props and a 9 hp trolling motor that looks brand new even though its a 1965.

I am a bit confused on ordering parts.

but I will be replacing hoses and belts, the water pump impeller and the grease in the lower unit. I have a buddy that know more about boats than I do and I also ordered a repair manual.

any advice is welcome

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1962 or 63 HydroSwift 6 years 6 months ago #134242

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
Wow - what a great time capsule to find and save! I remember having a skin diver wet suit top like that. Things look in great shape. Sorry I don't have helpful information, but the experts will. Congratulations on your find. What an amazing package of extras! The little outboard alone is a great find. As far as those props looking new. I have 3 similar vintage merc props and I spun the hub out of one due to drying and deteriorating of the rubber hub. You can hit redline instantly when that happens. Good luck with all!

Dr.Go!

1962 or 63 HydroSwift 5 years 11 months ago #136284

A little update -I'm typing this on my cell phone so sorry if it's unreadable.

I ended up taking the boat out October 1st of last year.
To get the boat running all I had to do was I put gas in it change the oil in the outdrive and the engine.

I took my wife and my dogs with me for the first cruise. They all had a great time. My wife decided to take a swim , my male dog went swimming with my wife. My other dog just wanted to hangout in the boat with me. My wife was wearing a vintage life jacket those orange horses shoe type, I swear they are just stuffed with cotton, I'm considering taking one apart. The vests came with the boat. Those life jackets they do not work very well but she managed not to drown. I'll be investing new life jackets, my dogs already have good life jackets. I'll also remember to bring the boarding ladder. I'm going to build some sort of do doggy boarding ladder as well, lifting a 80 pound German Shepherd into the boat is slightly difficult.

After the trip I winterized the engine and out drive.
a couple things didn't work correctly like the depth finder. the speedometer didn't work but I forgot to turn the pedo down so I'm not certain if it really doesn't work. In had to replace the switch for the bilge pump.
I found a full enclosure that goes with the boat last week while helping my buddy clean his grandpa's garage and a CB.

I'm getting it ready for the summer.

It's got a gm 4 cylinder and a mercruser 1. I'm surprised for a little inbord/outboard 4cylnder she has some pep gets on to plane great.

I plan on installing a fish finder my wife is a fish whisperer so I need all the help I can get.

I'd eventually like to take it to lake Powell this season. I'll have to do a few shakedown cruises first.

My wife drove the boat into the trailer she seems like a natural at boat handling.

I'll put some pictures of the trip last year up

I still need to change the hoses and I'll probably change the v belt because it's at least 20 years old.

1962 or 63 HydroSwift 5 years 10 months ago #136368

That's a neat old 'Swift. I have an outboard deep V hardtop from 1964. They were a hugely popular boat, back in the day. As for the life vests, chances are they could be a material called "Kpock" The stuff resembles silk and is actually from the tropical kapok tree or silk-cotton tree

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.366 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

FG Login

Glassified Ads

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7778 guests and one member online